A new TKD practicioner

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm very very glad, my 6 years old daughter Ana is going to follow the steps of her father. Last year Ana was very interested in taking TKD classes (when dady made his return to the dojo), however my wife was very desapointed in this. Patty (my wife) didin't want to take ana to TKD classes for many factors, the principal was the girl open heart surgry of about 3 years ago, the second, Patty think Ana is going to become a tomboy because TKD has cero feminity and is a sport for boys only,third dady has many injures over the years practicing TKD (broken theets,broken nose,etc,etc) and that's not for a girl.

However Ana is a girl with alot of character and want to train in TKD so mom took her yesterday and had a nice chat with my samboknim, samboknim was very polite and inform the mother that TKD is a very safe martial arts/sport and he's going to take care of Ana and in some how he convinced the mother.

Well... if Ana become a TKD/Martial Arts lover like me ohhh boy!! dady will be suportuve with her.

I love my daughter a lot.

Manny

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha! Congrats Manny!
Remind your wife that training now is not like training was when you were younger (especially for kids!).
Good luck keeping up with her now!! ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny that is great news and remind your wife I have a 14 year old at my school forever and she is the perfect lady, she wear pink and bows in her hair. Doing Martialk Art will not make her a tomboy.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is certainly foremost her physician's decision whether your daughter is ready for an exercise program of any type.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why does your wife think that if your daughter does TKD then she'll become a tomboy? I've been doing TKD for years and I'm still pretty girly! Granted, I'm geeky-girly, but it's still girly! :)

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have the kids class just before the adults class. I love too see the children practice! They have a lot of fun and never get tired! And the girls are as femenine as any other girl. I think your daughter will be OK and will have a lot of fun. Your wife will get use to it in a couple of weeks... or months... lol

Congratulations on the future TKD champion! ^_^

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Funny thing about girls being feminine. We have a young girl in our class who is about 5'10" or 6" and is not a teenager yet. She can throw kicks very hard and I know adults who don't look froward to sparring her.

Before the last belt test the instructor told her she did not have enough classes to test and she started crying.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like several others, I have had a variety of preteen and teenage girls in my class - and they show up in skirts and hair bows, earrings and make-up, all of which comes off for class, replaced by doboks, bare faces, and no jewelry, and then it all comes back on immediately after. I don't see where any one particular activity is going to determine your daughter's level of femininity - but I can see where exercising regularly could enhance it in the future. Perhaps that aspect is something you could mention to your wife.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Haha -- no. This TKD is for both boys and girls, men and women, no problem. There are no ill effects from this practice. It is good for everyone.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a teenage daughter who has been a taekwondoist for 10 years now. She started when she was 7 years old, and will be 18 in a few weeks. It's the big thing that we have in common, and really share because she's my number 1 training partner. It's like another bond that we share, pops and daughter, especially after all of the hours we've trained at the dojang together.

In the dojang, she's a 1st dan black belt completely. Outside the dojang, she is a not a tomboy at all. She's like her mom, all into the girl stuff. But more importantly for me I know she can defend herself.

Latest Discussions