A great Samboknim

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been fooling around for a time, since august. In drop TKD classes in august, many factors contributed, I crash my car so I hadn't it to go to train, bussiness was low and have financial troubles, my wife had surgery, not a great one, we just decided to not have any more children and all my savings went to surgery, and my moral was low, very low.

I did not comunicate with my samboknig to told him my worries, my troubles, my very low self steem, and I was unconfortable to let sambknim know I was a dissaster.

Every single day I go to pickup my daughters from shool all my TKD budies, small children that study wit my daugthers always ask me: Hey Mr. Manny are you coming tonight to workout? or Hey Mr.Manny when you come back? all my children budies always asking me about come back.

Well today I went to Dojan, Samboknim was streching with the children and I just tap on the window, all my small budies gave me a big smile!!! and samboknim asked me to come in, he gave a big bow and a shake hands and told me: Mr, Manny wellcome back!! Oh boy, he didn't asked me nothing, he just smile at me and told me he was so happy for me to come by.

Well I told samboknim I will return on october 1st, he asked me: Why not this friday!! I said, not friday but next monday is a promise.

I lefth dojan with a great sensation, and the pride to have a great samboknim that all these time was worried about me.

The good son has return.

Manny

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations! Only a good student would be received so well! Here's hoping your future matches your potential, as demonstrated by this event. :asian:

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Manny,

Everybody really missed you,
was asking about you,
and everybody wants you to come back as soon as possible
- they don't even want to wait until October,
they want you to come back NOW !!!!

To be needed like that has got to be a really good feeling and a real morale booster.

Sounds like you've got a great group of people at the dojang. With folks like that, it sounds like you're a very lucky man.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you all, I have two passions. a) firearms and b)martial arts. I have shotguns,rifles and pistols/revolvers, I'm a shooter and a competitor.

It was august 10th that I atend my my old man (a shotguner) to a national shotgun championship, I told samboknim I will be out of sight for a few days because that, in that time samboknim went to Bankok Thailand for a University Championship as a certified referee and bringin tow of his students for the maches. So since august 10 I droped TKD classes.

I'm a very weird person, I love Martial Arts but everytime I restart training I do well for a couple of months and then I quit, I don't know why, I get desapointed very quickly, besides my overweight deos not allow me to do the things right!

In the past I was in very good shape and could do almost any kick and move.

But well, I know it's a must to start again my children (classmates) asked me in a way I can't say no jejejeje.

It's been a problem locate a good dobok of my size here in Mexico, my Century Gi it's all worn and does not fit me well.

I will be in classes netx monday night, and will try to enjoy TKD, I need to work out I don't wana die yooung because a heartatack or diabetes.

Manny

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm a very weird person, I love Martial Arts but everytime I restart training I do well for a couple of months and then I quit, I don't know why, I get desapointed very quickly

And you consider that to be "weird"? Are you sure you didn't mean to say "typical"?

The only thing unusual about your story is that you came back after quitting.

For most people, they get involved--sometimes very deeply--for a few months or even years, then a temporary frustration, injury, or scheduling conflict prevents them from training for awhile. Then they keep putting off getting back into it. And, no matter how fanatical they once were about the art, many eventually kinda forget how much it meant to them and never come back at all.

But you...you had the loss eating away inside you for years. So you came back. And despite having gained a few kilos, losing a few moves, and being now a couple decades "wiser", you managed to recapture your love for the martial art.

Don't let yourself get driven away from it again. Don't get down on yourself if you can't manage more than one or two practices a week with the class. You're not a kid anymore. You have adult responsibilities now. You might no longer have the freedom to set ambitious training goals for yourself.

If it takes you five to ten years to attain your next rank, so be it. If you grow a little impatient about the amount of class time spent on "everyone else's" stuff, remember that the more rewarding you make it for your fellow students below your rank, the sooner there will be a group ready to train at your own level.

From an economic standpoint, you might try asking your teacher if he'll allow you to pay a reduced rate because you know you can't make it to the practices on, for instance, Mondays and Wednesdays. Some instructors are flexible in that regard (especially when the alternative might be losing the student altogether); others, understandably, have to remain consistent on their fee policies.

Dan

Latest Discussions