A low point in my training--worst in class.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't... but the only reason is that I am one of the 2 first generation students left in our dojo. ;)

Can`t say I believe you, everyone has a really bad day from time to time. Either if it is as a student, instructor or during a private lesson. If you don`t, you ain`t human.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course. No contest about that. But not 'many, many times' like you said. We all have 'one of those days' from time to time. It happens to me as well as you.

However, I have been training for 2 years now, and we always have people who have just started.
I'd have to have a really, really bad day before I'd be 'worst in class', which is what the statement was.
Ergo it doesn't happen 'many, many times'.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course. No contest about that. But not 'many, many times' like you said. We all have 'one of those days' from time to time. It happens to me as well as you.

However, I have been training for 2 years now, and we always have people who have just started.
I'd have to have a really, really bad day before I'd be 'worst in class', which is what the statement was.
Ergo it doesn't happen 'many, many times'.

Trust me, it will be many many times.
If you stick with the arts you are going to realize there have been many more instances than you think right now too. ;)

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
nothing wrong with crying at times. and it doesn't mean that you are not tough or that you can't take it. It just makes you human. :)

I've cried in my training. I cried a little when i didn't make orange belt even though i know i didnt preform well at the grading.

It happens and anyone who makes anyone feel bad about it is a dingleberry. :)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a great bit in the Friends Episode: The one with Joey's Dirty Day, in which Charlton Heston tells Joey, sooner or later, we all think we stink, you just have to get over it.
This quote was on a plaque in my High school NJROTC class room:
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan, 'press on' has solved, and always will solve, the problems of the human race

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cirdan wrote:
"What`s a dingleberry?"

It is slang and often used as a vulgar derogatory term but depending on context can sometimes be humorous.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dingleberry

din·gle·ber·ry (dnggl-br)
n. Vulgar Slang
1. A piece of dried feces caught in the hair around the anus.
2. An incompetent, foolish, or stupid person.

Bruno@MT wrote
"However, I have been training for 2 years now, and we always have people who have just started.
Ergo it doesn't happen 'many, many times'."

warning...thread drift to follow

When martial artists get tied to results rather than the process they increase the steepness of their path in my opinion. They often look toward their instructor and compare gifts and talents, they compare abilities and capabilities of others that are further along the path or that currently have greater talents, and I think most who where watching this from the outside would agree that they do this to their determent introducing fear and doubt into their language, actions and training. They start using negative imagery and vocabulary to describe their own practices and achievements.

By the same coin then but from the opposite side is those that look at others that are not as gifted or advanced on the training path as they are and compare to where they are currently at themselves. They see others that cannot yet do even the simplest of movements/techniques and feel pride of accomplishment. Pride of accomplishments is not necessarily a bad or good thing, it would depend on if the pride was based on what one overcame themselves compared to pride that they can do something that others cannot in my opinion. The risk of comparing the days achievements against the achievements of others who are currently weaker or less advanced or somehow otherwise disadvantaged is that it can and often does introduce arrogance, smugness and contempt into the language, actions and training of the person doing the comparing.

Both manifestations in my opinion can severely limit a persons progress and potential and just as importantly from an instructors point of view they can also limit the progress and potential of the training partners of said individuals. This is not deliberate self inflicted sabotage taken by an individual, but the result can be the same. It is often a gradual process that can change ones positive and healthy perspectives and behaviors and subtly alter them into negative and ultimately self destructive perspectives and behaviors.

Sorry for drift

Regards
Brian King

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone has given some good advice. My advice, accept that it happened, learn what you can and move forward. This is what training is about, if we stopped at a setback we wouldn't be really achieving anything. In fact, it is meeting and overcoming set backs that makes us successful. Keep training, if anyone gives you attitude about it in class, which I can't see happening, keep training till you can kick their you know what in either your fighting or in just doing technique. The most wrong thing you could do is stop training. Good luck.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No one is ever as hard on you, as you.

Truth undisputed. :asian:

I walked out of class in tears a few weeks ago. I came back in after a few minutes and snuffled through the rest of the hour on the sidelines. Nobody asked me anything beyond whether I was okay. Nobody passed judgment. Everyone wished me well at the end of the night.

There's no point going into the details but I didn't realize going in that night that I desperately needed the release, and it was very cathartic and healthy for me. So I considered it a successful night even though it took such a surprising turn because I got exactly what I needed. The fact that nobody gave me any crap for it showed me that I was exactly where I needed to be in terms of this particular group - I was surrounded by people with maturity and mutual respect. I couldn't have asked for more, and I am continually grateful to surround myself with them week after week.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teared up a little in a class not too long ago...........granted, it's because I got elbowed in the nose and blood was pouring out........but it happens. ;)

Latest Discussions