A Instructors Rant

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry, here I was thinking TX was the place to live. Now you have to burst my bubble with talk of roaming Navy SEALs. At least you did not have to hurt the guy, other than ego.

It is a sad thing that we instructors have to ever endure this crap.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know next month that guy is probably going to get a grandmaster diploma from some soke head of family bogus organization and open his own deadly dojo.

Funny thing is my instructor just told me a similar story but it was exactly the oposite. A friend of hers decided to check out a club who advertised they had "the best self defense in the world". He approched the instructor and asked him a few questions about the art.
He replied "It is a new style made from my extensive training and I have black belts in ten styles blah blah".
"Okay, can you show me something?"
"Sure just attack me"
"Just attack you?"
"Yeah come on!"
BAM! the instructor hit the floor. "Oh sorry I thought you were going to defend yourself. Why were you just standing there?"
"Uh I wasn`t ready, attack me again"
BAM! same result!
"Again!"
BAM! this time the instructor made no move to get up even though he was unhurt.
"Look since you are not going to defend yourself or show me anything I`ll just leave. Have a nice day"
Apperantly this guy called the police after but they dropped the case when they heard what happened. I am not an advocate of dojo storming but I think this guy got what he deserved. Also bear in mind this was probably in the 80s and in a rather rough place in England

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, the *******s are out there..Glad you put that poser in his place...I could tell you stories from some of the police training classes I attended that you would not believe...
I agree completely. I have little knowledge and even less training but I can spot a "knowitall" when I see one.

we had one come in our dojo claiming to be the the top dog when it came to street brawls and bar fights...yea....anyway, he spars against my instructor and after about 30 seconds also tells my instructor he is cheating because he is...wait for it...kicking!

show them for what they are terry, dont let it get you down and keep doing what you do cause we all know its great

B

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a well known organization that makes a lot of money training cops here in the US and I believe they were across the pond a few times..They gave a week long instructors course that I was sent too..There were 3 other MA/Cops in attendance besides me..So how did these top level instructors choose to greet us...In their opening speech they announced that ALL MA training was BULL ****..They just wouldnt let their rant go..One of the other officers had fought in the karate division of Police Oylimpics, 4 years undefeated..He listened to them when this officer turns to me and says loud enough for the guest instructors to hear " Drac, I'll take on the big one, you take out his partner"

The introduction to the defenses against knives portion was we were called into the room one by one and stood with our back to one of the instructors..The guy behind us would yell and we would spin around and defend ourselves with whatever attack he presented, this time it was a knife..So I defended myself and and this guy says " I cut you". I said, Yeah on the top of my forearm, I'm bleeding but I can still stomp you.".No your cut so your out, if you defended yourself OUR WAY you'd be untouched...[/quote]

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
I understand it's frustrating, especially when you give your time and effort to have someone take advantage of that and disrespect you in a way, but then I wonder to myself, would taking this person in and teaching him and having him eventually shed his ego and his old ways, would not that be a great challenge and a great reward in the end? I know it's much easier to teach those who want to learn, but I believe if this person came in seeking one on one advice, there is a part of him that really does want to learn, it's just a matter of breaking through his hard shell to get to real matter underneath. I am in no way disagreeing with you, I am just trying to see the other side of the coin.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Only the top 1% actually make the navy seals. For him to be a navy seal is highly unlikely. He sounds like he is totally full of *****.

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
If I recall correctly a real special forces person put up a website that contained the names of these fakes that publicly claim to be in the special forces. I believe it contained a long list of people claiming to be Navy Seals. Unfortunately, I lost the link when my computer crashed a while ago. But that was a resource I used to weed out these types of people.

Also, thanks for the info on the BUDS class. I didn't know that either. That will be helpful now that I lost that link.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
If I recall correctly a real special forces person put up a website that contained the names of these fakes that publicly claim to be in the special forces. I believe it contained a long list of people claiming to be Navy Seals. Unfortunately, I lost the link when my computer crashed a while ago. But that was a resource I used to weed out these types of people.

Also, thanks for the info on the BUDS class. I didn't know that either. That will be helpful now that I lost that link.

http://cyberseals.org/SEAL Imposters.html

Link at the bottom of page to the still existing POWnetwork.

I am not, was never a Navy SEAL, but what I WAS was an unpaid volunteer in the MA State Guard while it still existed (www.mastateguard.com) and so, while I am not rightfully a "veteran", I served my state, and therefore my country in time of war in the manner in which I was able, so when I see/hear of people stealing the honor of those who rightfully earned it far more than I, I get pissed off.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes, the Navy SpecWar guys have a sight, VeriSEAL, that you can e-mail them and they will check all of the past BUD/s rosters for any name you provide. Now that they are doing it, I am sure the Army will have one as well. The problem is that there are tons of Rangers, Marine Force Recon, AF Combat Controllers/PJs, and the like out there. Just because someone made it into a SF group, it does not automatically make them a bad dude. It makes them a highly trained soldier. That in comparison to the average person is something, that in comparison to other soldiers is less impressive.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
while I am not rightfully a "veteran", I served my state, and therefore my country in time of war in the manner in which I was able, so when I see/hear of people stealing the honor of those who rightfully earned it far more than I, I get pissed off.

Andy, I hurt someones feelings one time.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Yes, the Navy SpecWar guys have a sight, VeriSEAL, that you can e-mail them and they will check all of the past BUD/s rosters for any name you provide. Now that they are doing it, I am sure the Army will have one as well. The problem is that there are tons of Rangers, Marine Force Recon, AF Combat Controllers/PJs, and the like out there. Just because someone made it into a SF group, it does not automatically make them a bad dude. It makes them a highly trained soldier. That in comparison to the average person is something, that in comparison to other soldiers is less impressive.

VeriSEAL doesn't seem to be up right now, but the POW network still is.

Woodbutcher

White Belt
Reaction score
Two things.

1) I think the subject should have read, "An Instructors Rant" rather than "A Instructors Rant" ......just kidding ;)

2) As a former member of the US Spec. Ops. I can tell you that it's constantly pumped into you that your elite, your the best, you special, etc etc. Confidence is important and a lot of training goes into these soldiers (SF, Seals, Recon, Spec Ops. etc) but some loose sight of the undenyable truth....they are still human.

I LOVE the fact that you waxed the floor with him. He should have taken that as a lesson in humility and drove on, but alas....he's a jacka$$.

Latest Discussions