A few questions about KM

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
atm I am considering learning KM instead of Wing Chun or something else.

However, I have questions and concerns. I hope you guys can help me a bit.

1) How is KM compared to MAs like for example karate? In karate you can train for years and years
and you work your way up and learn new stuff and more complex stuff, right?
How is this in KM? Do you start learning simple techniques and then over the years you learn more
difficult stuff?

2) Does this mean that the simple techniques only work for certain attacks BUT in order to defend against
other attacks you need to know the more difficult stuff? Does this mean that you have to do KM for years
in order to be able to defend yourself against "every" attack?

For example if a KM guy gets beaten up does this mean that he simply didn't know enough complicated
techniques and he needs to train a few more years and THEN he would be able to defend against a similar
attack?

Is this basically like a never ending story where the instructor can always tell you "you just gotta learn the
better, more complicated techniques in order to defend against such an attack"?

3) Is KM a system? From what I know it's not. Then what is it? Is it basically a collection of reaction-patterns
to certain attacks which you train and train and train until they become automatic and that's it?

Does this mean that for each possible attack (for example being choked from behind) you learn 1 defense and that's it? But what if your defense-pattern doesn't work for whatever reason? Then what do you do?

Wouldn't a real system be better than just a set of defense patterns?

4) Does KM have arm deflections like you have in wing chun or FMA? I ask cause I really like deflections.
They look cool.

5) Are there any sensitivity drills in KM like chi sau or hubad (sp?)?

I ask cause I think that these drills are helpful even if you don't like wing chun in general.

I am pretty sure that in certain situations where your attacker is right in front of you and he throws a punch
then somebody who has trained sensitivity has more tools of reaction to those punches.

6) Is KM basically about reacting energically to an attack and then throwing punches and kicks and even biting in order to get away from the attacker as fast as possible?
Cause this is the impression I got from seeing a few clips.

The problem is, that even if this stuff is effective then it looks pretty chaotic to me.
In wing chun technique is very important and details matter and where you need your instructor to supervise and correct your moves.

But if KM consists of wild punches and kicks then do you need to train this at a school for years?
Would it not be enough to be shown the patterns a few times until you know them and then you can practice the stuff on a sand bag at home?

For example when you learn to defend yourself against an arm choke then what do you learn?

Does the instructor basically tell you to try to hit his eyes or genitals as often and as hard as possible until he lets you go?

Is this basically the essence of KM? That you just punch and kick and do whatever you have to do to become free?

I don't know how effective that is against an attack but something like this is far less interesting than learning a real MA with a systematic approach. :/

Last edited:

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
1: I dunno. Some krav schools are technique heavy, others are 99% drills.
2: If a KM guy gets beaten up, it means a guy who does KM got beat up. There is no deeper meaning.
3: If you train in it, it's a system. Even if it's a system of concepts or principles, it is still a system.
4: 360 Defense, or w/e it's called. Google it up.
5: Yeah - Everyone bumrushes you with kicking shields, and you use sensitivity to escape.
6: Violence is chaotic. If you want to beat up a bag at home, do it. Don't let us stop you.

"I don't know how effective that is against an attack but something like this is far less interesting than learning a real MA with a systematic approach. :/"

Then do something that fits your desire for a systematic approach.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does this mean that in KM you only learn very chaotic and aggressive types of defenses?

Does this mean that you could not use KM to just control somebody who's not a real threat but who gets in your face
and you just want to be able to do an arm lock or something like that without hurting him but to make him realize that he
better stops this?

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
LOL your talking about how you think it would be wasting your time learning deflections and how to defend against different scenarios in this thread but then say your considering Krav Maga in another thread. Do you realize Krav Maga has a ton of drills where it's training your muscle memory how to respond? Have you considered these static drills you speak of and are criticizing most likely are what teaches you muscle memory.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
LOL your talking about how you think it would be wasting your time learning deflections and how to defend against different scenarios in this thread but then say your considering Krav Maga in another thread. Do you realize Krav Maga has a ton of drills where it's training your muscle memory how to respond? Have you considered these static drills you speak of and are criticizing most likely are what teaches you muscle memory.

JEBUS how many threads did you just post in? This was suppose to be in the thread you just created asking how much of your martial arts can you use.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Does this mean that in KM you only learn very chaotic and aggressive types of defenses?

Does this mean that you could not use KM to just control somebody who's not a real threat but who gets in your face
and you just want to be able to do an arm lock or something like that without hurting him but to make him realize that he
better stops this?
What's would you say if I told you I just controlled an opponent and detained him last week with a simple wrist control and an off balancing technique that misaligns the spine that judo and aikido uses? I know you pretty much think we're way pass aikido being applicable for self defense from your post in the aikido thread just earlier.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12119908_1020461794682181_3524071588632823182_o.jpg

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
in order to defend against other attacks you need to know the more difficult stuff?
That question appears often and my opinion is not for you (now you don't deserve any attention until you start training or at least trial classes), but for other beginners.

In my opinion,
more difficult stuff are mostly training exercises, and things to keep you busy and motivated over the years.
For self-defence, you (just) need to master the fundamentals. Complicated stuff may be useful, eventually. But the most important is to master the fundamentals. For instance, in order to win a recent fight an MMA fighter, with a background in Taekwondo, replaced largely her risky and energy intensive kicks for jabs. That was a progress in her fight skills. (MMA is clearly not self-defence, but it is a good source since there are statistics and everything is recorded.)

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
atm I am considering learning KM instead of Wing Chun or something else.

I really doubt it. I predict you'll continue to sit on your *** without doing any actual training.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Go to whatever martial arts school you're close to. The only people who learn krav maga are people dedicated specifically to self-defence.