A Demo I Like, and a Demo I Like Less

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking around at TKD schools in the Toronto area, I came across a couple demos - one I liked, and one I liked less.

The first demo, I like very much. He does some kicks, a form, and self defense. The Master comes off as humble and kind. I think it is a good demo showing various facets of TKD.

The second demo on self defense made me wonder. Specifically, the "high-fives" with friends (presumably) after the defence is plain odd to me.

The usual criticisms still apply, making the demo unrealistic: 1) the attacker leaving the arm out, 2) the attacker being seemingly paralyzed by one simple hit. I can accept these criticisms as part of a demo. But the big thing that seemed odd to me was the congratulations after doing a defence. Do you guys high-five after a defence?

Last edited by a moderator:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The second one is what I call a feel good demo and the all crowd pleaser. The one they do to get the people to like everything. It is not real for any kind of real life experience.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
#! is Chang Hun Style. I wonder if he is affiliated with an ITF group.

#2. I have no issues with entertainment. I also understand that even if a small child has great technique it may not work well against an adult male...but.... the techniques of some of the adults seem to be extremely poor and it appears as though they have fooled themselves into thinking they will be effective in a real world attack which is problematic.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
#1 is Chang Hun Style. I wonder if he is affiliated with an ITF group. .
I was guessing that he studied in an ITF school from the breathing sounds and the slight rising and falling during the pattern. But you would definitely know better than me.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The first guy had good techniques, but I watched it for 5 minutes and he did maybe 5 techniques that whole time. I think he should talk less and rehearse more with the board holder, so they can set up the breaks quickly.

The second one was better rehearsed. But the theatrics did bug me a little, especially the way the attacker pretended to need to be carried off at the end and defender acted happy about "hurting" them. I'd much rather have seen the attacker get up and them shake each other's hands or something like that.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
The second one was better rehearsed. But the theatrics did bug me a little, especially the way the attacker pretended to need to be carried off at the end and defender acted happy about "hurting" them. I'd much rather have seen the attacker get up and them shake each other's hands or something like that.

An apparently it feels more realistic for them to wear a jacket over their doboks when being the attacker.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first demo is definitely better than the second one. I do like that despite the fact that it is done in a very relaxed manner apparently meant to introduce Taekwon-Do to an audience with little to no exposure to martial arts the techniques are performed well, accurately, with power, etc. While the demonstration itself was somewhat limited in scope and time he manages to illustrate a fair sampling of the composition of Taekwon-Do (fundamental movements [breaking], patterns, and ho sin sul). I could watch demonstrations like the first one any day while those like the one in the second video are almost physically painful to watch.

The gentleman doing the demonstration in the first video is, I believe, Mr. Shuojong Song, who is with the ITF in China.

The second video is rife with problems and I think the less said about that the better.

Pax,

Chris

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
#1 is Chang Hun Style. I wonder if he is affiliated with an ITF group.

The gentleman doing the demonstration in the first video is, I believe, Mr. Shuojong Song, who is with the ITF in China.

I had a look at the comments on the first video. The Master's name is Master Li, and looking at another video (in Mandarin I believe), his uniform indicates that he is with the "ITF".

Last edited by a moderator:

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
An apparently it feels more realistic for them to wear a jacket over their doboks when being the attacker.

Hah, that's true.

But I want to emphasize that I liked that they clearly had rehearsed what they were going to do, had a good rhythm going, and kept the energy up.