a base martial art

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
who do you guys think are the better fighters the mma fighter who have a actual background in sometype of martial art or the guys you just jumped into mma classes

and do you think mma fighters should have a base martial art before fighting

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
who do you guys think are the better fighters the mma fighter who have a actual background in sometype of martial art or the guys you just jumped into mma classes

I am interested in this myself. I have a more traditional background and am training to have an easier time in mma.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends where you go to train. There are really good mma schools now that will give you everything.

Otherwise people with a base martial art have had physically more training.

So a pro muay thai fighter going into his first mma match is not the same as a complete novice going into one.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it depends on the intensity and experience/ability of both the trainer and trainee. Both can be effective.

OP
sgraves

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in this myself. I have a more traditional background and am training to have an easier time in mma.
I feel that way too I started off in more traditional setting then when I started training mma I picked it up kinda fast and my kicks and stuff were better

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think many successful MMA folk started in traditional MAs in their youth which laid a foundation for them to build upon. Like most natural or prodigy athletes, they probably excelled at an early age. Pro sport people are the exception. In tennis there is only one number one globally. Agassi/Nadal/Federer could prob beat any decent adult player when they were 14.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your base is wrestling, no matter how many punches and kicks that you may throw, your goal is still to take your opponent down. Your plan will be different from a pure striker.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far in this forum, we have self-title such as:

- master.
- Sensei.
- Sifu.

Do we have

- coach?
- instructor?
There have been posters who have said their students call them Coach.
Personally, I have gone by my name pretty much exclusively. The only person I've ever insisted call me Master is my wife. And she just laughs when I insist.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
There have been posters who have said their students call them Coach.
Personally, I have gone by my name pretty much exclusively. The only person I've ever insisted call me Master is my wife. And she just laughs when I insist.
Same here, if I am really feeling adventurous I might shake the ice in my empty glass as she walks by just to test my reflexes against her reaction.