99.9% of female martial artists fail in self defense?

OP
F

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To everyone who posted your thoughts - thanks!

After a little more thought I'd say he's either mistakenly confused a woman becoming adept at self defense class vs becoming adept at a martial art ... or he's a "drop kick" and has an agenda.

Thanks again!

fighter_x

White Belt
Reaction score
Male or female, you stand a good chance of defeat if you do not train your thinking. Thousands train daily learning punches and kicks, but without exploring the psychological/emotional aspects of self defense training they will likely fail when faced with violent attack. The brain is pre-programmed into victim thinking, and a lot of the bodies instinctual responses are not conducive to self defense. You can rely on just training the body, you have to retrain the brain as well.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thats a big call. Theres women out there that don't train and all and would snap me over there knee.

I think the biggest factor is the mind set. (just like males) If they sense blood and aim to maim, as opposed to just "light training in case it hurts" then theres no reason why they cant

Luke

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I`ve never seen anything that suggests serious training in the arts would benefit a woman less than a man.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you define FAIL to defend themselves?

Some ideas:

1) Getting grabbed or pushed
I have had this happen to me. So I guess I have failed.

2) Getting hit or kicked

3) Getting hit by a blunt weapon - i.e. bat, stick, golf club, tire iron

4) Getting stabbed

5) Getting hit be a vehicle

6 ) Getting shot
Wait I have not been shot, I have only been shot at. So maybe I have a partial Non Fail here?

7) Multiple opponents et al.

8) Any form of confrontation even verbal

So by not avoiding all possible confrontations I have failed at my self defense.

Remember, Statistics do not lie, but liars sure can calculate. ;)

That being said there have been some good points about size disadvantages in general and that not all men can defend themselves beffore years of training as well. I thought these should also be mentioned again.

But, if I was targetting someone specifically, there chances or avoiding the conflict are small, nil, and none. To defend themselves also depends upon how they react and respond to my presence and to my actions.

If you meet the profile of the bad guy and you are jsut in the wrong place at the wrong time, then you your chances go up from the above. Still might not be great but they can go up.

If you are just a random victum because of timing or lack or awareness then you have even a greater chance of survival.

In all these case as mentioned by some in this thread and by myself in others in other threads, awareness and mindset and your approach to the situation determines the conditions and your options for reaction or even action.

If by being aware one can avoid the situation or call 911 and report the guy following them on multiple days in particular if you have had words and told him to go away or leave you alone. If you show that you are one that brings in more people and the police in particular they might move on to someone else. If you just ignore everything and they can track you and your patterns and schedules and "stalk" you to make an attack you have missed a lot of opportunities for self defense already.

So being male might statistically reduce the random and or profile attacks and thereby the over all number of assaults, but it does not show any real data on the survival rates nor against those whoa re targeting a specific individual.

Now, I am not saying stay at home and lock the door and never leave. I am saying pay attention and use the tools available to us and others to increase your odds. Travel in numbers. Use phones but pay attention around you and let others know you are paying attention with eye contact and head movement.

I repeat what I said above:
Remember, Statistics do not lie, but liars sure can calculate. ;)

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
99.9% females cannot defend themselves is close with out years of train and what training with who. Even with training the Adrenalin Dump or the heart rate black zone for even experienced Martial Artists make them easy targets agains a preditory felon who has hurt or killed many times.

Prevention is best and I get really pissed some lady here complained to the paper about she had a car load of guys looking at her while she jogged. Stupid Stupid Stupid no women should go anywhere alone period We live in a preditory society now. You are not even safe to hike anymore man or woman I never go hiking with out full loaded holow point magnum loads is a quick draw holster visible to aproaching people. There are even some teams man and woman working together out thier to waylay men or women camping or hiking. Some of my female tenage students have fought off known sex offender assailents and beat them so bad thier fathers had to get attorneys because the looser suied but girls won in court every time.

Good classes can increase anyones chances of survival but a knife or gun??? please you won't survive, have a dog some good wepons and some training but better just not to be there, get real!!!!!

What really burns my *** is women thinking because the do kick boxing aerobics they can kick somebodies butt? No you know just enoght to get your self injured or killed.

I cannot stand these parents who let thier young daughters travel by themselves go anywhere unprotect then cry about them getting killed Jerk jerk jerk get off you asses and watch your kids.

There are some good classes some instructors teach on child protection and I recomend them highly for both the kid and the parent.

Thier are men out there that are not human anymore and have no mercy or compasion and will kill and mame till they are put away or put down.

We went to Las Vegas two years ago for a honeymoon and I took my 4 year old daughter and stayed at a nice resort. From the first time we walked out in the loby every employee there said hey your in the worst city in the US for child kidnapping never let go of your kid use a harness I never felt comfortable out side the resort once I explained it to her and she learned to never let go of me. We had great time but two kids were snatched and on tv before we left. Some guy comes up in a resturaunt and wanted to take pictures of her and wanted our address so he could send her clothes from his clothing line???? yeh sure I really gave him that info.

Jogging and Shopping are two leading causes of attacks on women!!!!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if 99.9% of martial artists have much if any "real" self defense experience at all. So whose to judge?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
99.9 percent, eh? Sounds more like a dude with an axe to grind with regards to women, then a man of analytical prowess.

I have never heard a man say "99.9 percent of women cannot <fill in the blank>" as a matter of honest critique.

99.9 percent of women cannot write their name in the snow.
icon10.gif

Reminds me of a joke I once heard.

This old man told his frined in front of the local hardware store. I have to disown my grand daughter.

The friend asks Why?

The old man says, I saw her name written in the snow.

The friend say there are lots of girls with her name so anyone coudl have written.

The old man replies. But I would recoginize her handwriting anywhere.

So I guess women can write in the snow, they may just have to use an improvised weapon for self defense or I mean tool. ;)

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a skeptic in that I don't think 85% of martial artist train in anything that will help them in a self-defense situation. This means men as well as women. I believe that in many cases the training can even be a detremit to self-defense. For example, I know a really good TKD martial artist. He has been point fighting for years. He got into an altercation and lost because after he kicked the guy in the head, he stopped and dropped his hands. He didn't do this because he is either bad or stupid. He did it because he has done that in his training for years. In his head he heard break because he, "scored the point." You will fight how you train. If you do not train realistically, you will not fight that way. Doesn't matter if you are male or female.

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
i think we should consider more the mental aspect.

i wonder if much of it depends on how you grow up, how you live day to day, the experiences you have had and actual confrontations.

If you grow up somewhat pampered in middle class suburbia and under mom and dads protection from the bad areas, and then move to middle class suburbia as a adult having no physical confrontations and think your training might be a self defense solution i am not so sure one may be correct.

There are people out there that grew up in it, and live it, and if are a bad apple make a dangerous foe. The difference being they may have nothing to lose, and don't have the civil upbringing and are accustomed to physical violence and have become adept at it.

You would have the same result comparing a gang task force police officer from inner chicago to one from corn field kansas. Will the training make a huge difference? Questionable. One lives it, the other hands out traffic tickets.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say that most women aren't going to be up to trading punches with a six foot five three hundred pound thug, but lets face it, most of us men aren't picking on those guys either. Its the fact that self defense is more about becoming aware, and avoiding danger. I look at self defense like picking up trash by the freeway. The number one rule is: Don't step into traffic.
Sean

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
99.9 percent of women cannot write their name in the snow.
icon10.gif
Guy goes to his next door neighbor's house and says, "John, I can't let your son date my daughter any more. Last night, he peed out the window of his bedroom and wrote her name in the snow."

John says, "Damn, Tom, you and I used to do worse than that when we were kids. Why is this such a big deal?"

Tom says, "It was her handwriting!"

:ultracool

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Basic strikes and target areas can be taught easily. The confidence to apply it comes with training. Many times people not just women freeze in a self-defense situation its not their knowledge its the confidence in a lot of cases. The more a person trains the better equipped they will be both mentally and physically. But that doesn't mean someone can't learn how to escape from an attacker in a matter of a few hours. To many variables to make such a blanket statement though.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Guy goes to his next door neighbor's house and says, "John, I can't let your son date my daughter any more. Last night, he peed out the window of his bedroom and wrote her name in the snow."

John says, "Damn, Tom, you and I used to do worse than that when we were kids. Why is this such a big deal?"

Tom says, "It was her handwriting!"

:ultracool

Wow, I had no idea this joke was so popular. :uhyeah:

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
... and with winter coming up here, maybe it can be a new movement! Sustainable graffiti! The ultimate honesty in political rhetoric! The possibilities are endless.

Dibs on royalties.

Latest Discussions