What is real Self Defense

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yesterday at my school a couple of gentlemen came in wanting to learn Martial Art, So I ask what where they looking for conditioning, Sd, wieght control you know the ussual question you ask potential and the one guy said real life SD and non of that crap commercial school teaches. I said well we have a SD portion to our curriculum and wopuld be willing to go outside the box if they where part of the adult class and if they where around in a few months. Now this is where I get confuse about everything they want real life stituation with real guns being loaded and using real knife in the mix of SD. I told them we use the rubber knifes and guns in our class and they laughed ok no problem then the jerk of a guy screams out in front of my students that him and his friends teaches real life self defense against real life guns. I ask them to eave and they went back out in the mall and was telling one of my 18 yr. old students that they actually use live guns with them being loaded that way you are not allow to make a mistake or you'll get shot. When using knives they use 6" to 9" blades sharpen so they can actually cut people with them for realism.

I guess I do not understand how someone can learn from real weapons for SD, like I told my student sure I could load up my gun and pull the trigger and 99.9 percent of the time I'll win. Sd is about being able to get home at the end of the night to be with family and friends a man wallet or a woman purse is nothing compared to a life.
Terry

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I told them we use the rubber knifes and guns in our class and they laughed ok no problem then the jerk of a guy screams out in front of my students that him and his friends teaches real life self defense against real life guns. I ask them to eave and they went back out in the mall and was telling one of my 18 yr. old students that they actually use live guns with them being loaded that way you are not allow to make a mistake or you'll get shot. When using knives they use 6" to 9" blades sharpen so they can actually cut people with them for realism.
Apart from them lying.... they are talking nonsense IMO. How realistic can their training really be with live weapons - even blades. Find training partners who'll really attack you with a real blade or gun...

rubber knives and marker pens are not the real thing but they allow you to train far closer to "all-out" than the real thing does.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
if they aren't lying to you, at least you don't need to worry about them coming back.

self-defense, for me, is keeping yourself and those you love alive and safe from harm. it includes physical techniques as well as awareness, conflict resolution, a healthy diet, safe driving....

these guys (if they aren't lying) are breaking the first rule of self defense: avoid dangerous situations.

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
these guys (if they aren't lying) are breaking the first rule of self defense: avoid dangerous situations.
There's not much in martial arts training that doesn't constitute a dangerous situation, lol.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
if they aren't lying to you, at least you don't need to worry about them coming back.

self-defense, for me, is keeping yourself and those you love alive and safe from harm. it includes physical techniques as well as awareness, conflict resolution, a healthy diet, safe driving....

nothing like hanging a sign on your head saying: "come get me" and I am sure somebody will. Sad really, that people act like that and put themselves and others in potential harm.

Terry, it sounds like one of those situations that leaves you looking around with your jaw hanging open and thinking what the hell just happened, are these guys for real? I know I am shaking my head right now.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
nothing like hanging a sing on your head saying: "come get me" and I am sure somebody will. Sad really, that people act like that and put themselves and others in potential harm.

Terry, it sounds like one of those situations that leaves you looking around with your jaw hanging open and thinking what the hell just happened, are these guys for real? I know I am shaking my head right now.

Lisa you are exactly right when they did leave I shooked my head and was wondering if they teach real life than wheres the battle scares, they where to pretty for me.
Terry

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Those guys were lying.
I woulda laughed it off and told them to leave just like you did.
They had too much nonsense going on there.

I was born at night, just not last night.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thats crazy stuff....we have used airsoft In some disarms to show the possibility of being hit, and we have used alluminium training knives on some disarms too with chalk to show where strikes were made........This is as close as i would want to get in training and even then we usually use rubber guns and knifes whilst in the early stages of training

What these guys have said is absurd....Its as bad to get injured or killed whilst training as it is in a real situation

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:

Completely agree with that. Self defence isn't simply training against real weapons, that's an incredibly narrowminded view. Good reply mate.

kensai.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know what he was smoking but it musta been some GOOD stuff..What a bunch of CRAP..

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
they went back out in the mall and was telling one of my 18 yr. old students that they actually use live guns with them being loaded that way you are not allow to make a mistake or you'll get shot.
Terry

These guys must have been out for lunch when god handed out brains.:bs1:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
then the jerk of a guy screams out in front of my students that him and his friends teaches real life self defense against real life guns.

Sounds like he should go and learn from his friend. with any luck they just might weed themselves out of the gene pool...

better to let the world think you are a fool, then open you mouth and remove all doubt.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
Some people watch too many movies and fantasize about being Rambo.
Self Defence is as much about avoiding conflict and getting home safe and unharmed as it is technique. Those losers suffer from some serious mental issues, and will only hurt or kill someone someday in their ill considered attempt to validate their own pathetic inadequacies with magazine machismo ********.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They were just blowing smoke! Only crazy cult like people do things like that.

Some "real life" modifications for the saftey-minded would be......

Use a hard wooden/plastic knife and put chalk on it, so if you get chalk on you it pretty much means you got cut.

Guns are a little more tricky! An easy alternative would be a simple water gun that is heavier than the standard kid's plastic one. You get wet, then you got shot!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
fistlaw720 said:
Guns are a little more tricky! An easy alternative would be a simple water gun that is heavier than the standard kid's plastic one. You get wet, then you got shot!

them new-fangled airsoft guns work well, too. don't injure, but a shot with one of those will leave a mark you won't forget.

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
you should have asked them what school they teach at, and what style. the whole loaded gun thing sounds rediculous. unless they train in the woods or train in a bullet proof room, they were lying.

the whole thing about announcing to the whole class about the way they train at their school is flat out disrespectful. im am damn sure that there aren't many ways to avoid a lawsuit if anyone trains with a real knife and especially a loaded gun.

i would love to give these guys a good piece of my mind. and see if they can handle a good hand to hand combat before they think they can start anything about weapons!!

Latest Discussions