8th Degree BB Ninjutsu?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I for one pray to God that is what he meant.

I used to train in Isshin ryu karate, but left my teacher in favor of the jizaikan because he would keep promoting people without there being any improvement in fighting ability.

I used o train with a woman who earned her 5th degree blackbelt, but never practiced any sparring or self defense techniques! She got nearly beaten to death by her ex-boyfriend. I don't know about the rest of you but I would consider a 5th degree to have master level ability. You can see why I got the urge to leave.

By the way this is not a bash of Isshin Ryu karate, I've seen powerful karateka of this style (my brother for one), but rank flies out the window if you have no skill to back it up.

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
hmmmmmm interesting, Ive learned alot from this thread. most of the people I've seen have all averaged around ten years for getting their blackbelt (some in 9 some in 14 but not to far from ten)

but then again there are also no recorded 8th shodans in to-shin-do at the moment. Im not sure how they grade in bujiukan

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
10 years for black belt? I haven't heard of a martial art that requires you to be around that long to get your "initial step". I think (depending on your art and level of commitment) that a black belt should take between 3.5-5 years to earn.

10 years seems excessive, I would have assumed that a practitioner would have been versed well enough in the basics to have begun the actual journey at this point.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
This 16 yr. old boy joined our TKD/HKD club and claim he is an 8th degree BB in Ninjutsu??????

Ask him to levitate. If he can't, he's no 8th degree. In fact, if anyone says says their eighth degree in any art, ask them to levitate or catch a bullet in their teeth. If they can't do that, they can get on the mats or leave.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 years for black belt? I haven't heard of a martial art that requires you to be around that long to get your "initial step". I think (depending on your art and level of commitment) that a black belt should take between 3.5-5 years to earn.

10 years seems excessive, I would have assumed that a practitioner would have been versed well enough in the basics to have begun the actual journey at this point.
In my system, it's a minimum of 5 years. 7 years is pretty typical. Some take longer. I've seen some places (usually TKD) where there's a schedule, and if you pass everything and stay on schedule -- it's 18 months. BJJ, on the other hand, seems to take 10 years or so...

A lot depends on what's expected of a black belt. In some styles, it's demonstrating a basic understanding of a core curriculum -- and can be done quickly, for a talented and dedicated athlete. In other styles, there are different levels of understanding and skill which take more time to learn.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess it really all depends on what your system wants a 1st degree to be able to do. I've seen schools promote too quickly (white to black in 1 yr?!), but I guess there are some schools that take a longer time to get to 1st dan as well.

10 yrs or so can make people think that BB is a high rank when its not. How long to reach second or third? I personally don't believe in time limit requirements (niether does my art). Can you do what is required for your next belt consistantly? congradulations, new belt.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In IRT it all depends on the person and their skill sets. Could be three to four years for an associate instructor or it could be ten years of more. (trust me I have peole working on it at that time frame right now) BJJ is another system that has very high standards and quite often it is ten years or more. Glad to see Bando has stringent requirements too jks9199.

In Budo Taijutsu it is very arbitrarial. Meaning I took a long time as I never wanted rank nor do I still want any. It came to a point where it would have been bad manners to refuse what was offered so I accepted it. Some people chase rank faster and can get it if they want it. However, there is a great deal of Budo Taijutsu practitioner's that really do not care about rank nor do we wish to be promoted. Like wise there is a group that want as much rank as possible. Hence in my opinion why Budo Taijutsu has some huge dan ranks.
icon6.gif

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
I guess it really all depends on what your system wants a 1st degree to be able to do. I've seen schools promote too quickly (white to black in 1 yr?!), but I guess there are some schools that take a longer time to get to 1st dan as well.

10 yrs or so can make people think that BB is a high rank when its not. How long to reach second or third? I personally don't believe in time limit requirements (niether does my art). Can you do what is required for your next belt consistantly? congradulations, new belt.

I never said there was a ten year limit. It all depends on your skill level and how fast you progress. I was just saying on average it takes most people close to ten years. but I know a few who it did it in less time. ten years may seem like a long time, but if thats how long it takes someone to obtain the skills for a specific art to the satisfaction of the instructor then thats how long it takes, no sense trying to rush it to make people happy because in the end you would be failing them in your duty as an instructor. they should be comming to you for the art, not the belt color.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I never said there was a ten year limit. It all depends on your skill level and how fast you progress. I was just saying on average it takes most people close to ten years. but I know a few who it did it in less time. ten years may seem like a long time, but if thats how long it takes someone to obtain the skills for a specific art to the satisfaction of the instructor then thats how long it takes, no sense trying to rush it to make people happy because in the end you would be failing them in your duty as an instructor. they should be comming to you for the art, not the belt color.

I agree. The question is that does a BJJ or Bando practitioner practice basics for 10 years until it is satisfactory to gain 1st dan. Then do they move on to more advanced things, or does the BB not have anything to do with "skill sets" and more about how experienced you are with the skills you have been practicing if you follow my meaning?

OP
phatbway

phatbway

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I want to thank you all for your responses on this matter. I have learned some things about Ninjutsu I had no idea existed before. Again thanks for you insights.

Phatbway.

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to ALL for your responses. I was not about to believe this kid, but since I know nothing about the Ninjutsu system and how often they test and how long it takes to be a BB, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. WOW! The things kids do for attention.

Amazing!

Thats probably what happened. We had a teenager come into are tkd school claiming to be a blackbelt already and 5 min into the first class it was very aparent he lied. an instuctor took him out of class an told him if he wanted to stay he had to fess up and appologize and come back with a white belt. He said that he did lie and that he just bought his belt and looked at a book, but he never came back to are school

OP
phatbway

phatbway

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, this 'kid' got kicked out of our program because he totally destroyed the instructor's TKD manual. he borrowed it for one 1 night and returned it the next class, totally destroyed. instructor told him he had no respect for other people's property and he should not return.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not that unheard of, keep in mind that some of these kids are dropped off for the "karate teacher" to teach them disipline because they have never been taught it.

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
hmmmmm thats true... but what a horrible way to learn disipine. its somthing that should be taugh all though there life. expecting an instructor to pick up the slack... from my experience the ones who become the most disiplined are usually the ones who already are disiplined to a certain degree.

OP
phatbway

phatbway

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
what the heck!!! what is wrong with that kid!!!

I thnk this kid has a lot of issues. Had a talk with his Grandfather and I was asked by Pops; "do you have my grandson under control"? WHAT????
My reply was direct; "this guy has no dicipline" and he agreed instantly and said; "I know, that's why I sent him to learn TKD".
Well, so much for that. Wonder where next he's going to be 'sent'
sounds like boot camp is next, I guess.