7 star footwork?

izeqb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys...

Recently I've heard about the 7 star footwork on several occassions... All releated to wing chun.
But all I can find is praying mantis.

Can you help me clarify what the 7 star footwork is about and how it's used in wing chun?

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you mean 7 Star Preying Mantis footwork, at least that of the Lee Kam Wing system, I can tell you that it bears no close relationship to that of any of the major WC systems.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have not heard the term 7 star footwork associated with wing chun. Wing chun structure is different from mantis and in my wing chun lineage (Augustine Fong)
there are oodles of footwork.

joy chaudhuri

OP
I

izeqb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure that the WC 7 star footwork I've heard about, has anything to do with the praying mantis style or anything else for that matter... I've just heard it mentioned in Wing Chun related talks. I'll let you guys know when I find out more :)

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Never heard of 7 star footwork in wing chun, only the general "7 star" description of joints used to generate power. It was how my first teacher taught us to do the 1-inch punch.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've heard of seven star stepping in other kung fu styles but not wing chun. If I can remember correctly, the name had something to do with a star constellation ( the big dipper) and the stepping pattern was of a zig-zag nature.
Actually, in Cho Gar wing chun , we do have this zig-zag stepping pattern but it's just called triangle step and one of our five fundamental steps. I use it at lot in sparring, it's good for both intercepting and simultaneous evasion and counter strike.

onthechin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is no 7 star footwork in WC. End of discussion. And any debate about footwork in WC is likely to get hackles raised...such as me saying that guys who pivot have a lesser style than guys who pick their feet up....

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think what was entitiled by this was rather the "star footwork" which essentially is a way to train footwork both directionally & angle wise.
Though a general star would be 5 points not 7 it can be assumed that the extra two may be a variation in agles or stepping patterns nothing extreme.
Again im no expert but ive seen many variations of how to train footwork, drills/patterns. Even as far as names some so extreme as to call pak sau drill the
pattycake drill, lol.

just my opinion.

All the best,

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha thanks man, yea I'm doing great in fact. Moved to Germany so checking out some of the Wing Chun & Northern Mantis
practitioners out here, its quite enjoyable. Likewise I hope everything has been good with yourself.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with any 7 star stepping in Wing Chun. As others have said, it is mostly a Mantis system thing. Let us know if you discover anything.

OP
I

izeqb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think what was entitiled by this was rather the "star footwork" which essentially is a way to train footwork both directionally & angle wise.
Though a general star would be 5 points not 7 it can be assumed that the extra two may be a variation in agles or stepping patterns nothing extreme.
Again im no expert but ive seen many variations of how to train footwork, drills/patterns. Even as far as names some so extreme as to call pak sau drill the
pattycake drill, lol.

just my opinion.

All the best,

I think you are right...

The five directions (like plum blossom) and then two additional steps...

Stylez777

White Belt
Reaction score
I also have not heard of a 7 star footwork...yet...but I am still very new to training. Only recently have I started to learn second form Cham Kui and the stepping in there is very circular in motion in my lineage anyhow. I've heard it called C stepping. (this probably not wat you are talking about at all) Watching someone do it looks so simple yet when trying to do it myself it baffles my mind how difficult it actually is for me to step correctly while also doing things with my upper body even more difficult is stepping back to my original spot. Kind of like rubing your stomach and patting your head while hopping up and down on 1 foot something just goes wrong.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't 7 Star footwork in reference to 7 Star Mantis and the footwork taken from the Monkey system?

--------------------------------------------
The stars in TCMA often refer to contact points. Wing chun has more than 7. As far as wing chun footwork-it varies with lineage. The Ho Kam Ming-Augustine lineage has extensive footwork
based on wing chun concepts.It comes from all of the forms--3 hand forms, dummy, pole and bot jam do.

joy chaudhuri

Latest Discussions