Real challenge fight

fighterman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
HIS IS AN EVENT THAT HAPPENED RECENTLY IN ITALY. I WONT COMMENT ABOUT THE LINEAGE BUT BASICALLY IT WAS A WING CHUN GUY WHO CLAIMED TO BE THE BEST AND COULD TAKE ON ANYBODY TRAINING 8 HOURS A DAY FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS. IT TOOK A 70 CHILO KID WITH TWO AND A HALF YEARS OF THAI TO BEAT HIM.
PLEASE NOTE THIS GUY BAD MOUTHED ALL LINEAGES OF WING CHUN

Last edited by a moderator:

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
if he has trained 8 hours a day for 20 years he needs to ask for his money back. I'd say more like 6 months twice a week based on how he moves and the way he fights. As for the other guy he might have done muay thai but he's also done either BJJ or MMA (even if only to a basic level) judging by his guard position and his reversal to mount. Still not exactly a real challenge match though given that they were wearing gloves and it got stopped and restarted twice and no one was in any way hurt. If the guy has been mouthing off then he got himself embarrassed but in any case hopefully they'll both learn something from the experience.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
With out knowing his back ground any comments are really just conjecture.

This could be a perfect example of the need for pressure testing with strangers to understand reality vs being the king of chi sao in your school or it could be as Ian said someone with very little experience and an active fantasy life.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please dont use Allcaps.

Now, I saw neither Wing Chun or Thai Boxing. I saw Wrestling with some Arm/Leg Swings here and there.
It kinda looked like poor quality unrefined MMA.
And where was the Power? And Speed? On both sides, I mean.
Lastly, where was the resistance to the Wrestling? They just both kinda went with it.

EDIT: In hindsight, a pretend wrestler would oust these two.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HIS IS AN EVENT THAT HAPPENED RECENTLY IN ITALY. I WONT COMMENT ABOUT THE LINEAGE BUT BASICALLY IT WAS A WING CHUN GUY WHO CLAIMED TO BE THE BEST AND COULD TAKE ON ANYBODY TRAINING 8 HOURS A DAY FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS. IT TOOK A 70 CHILO KID WITH TWO AND A HALF YEARS OF THAI TO BEAT HIM.
PLEASE NOTE THIS GUY BAD MOUTHED ALL LINEAGES OF WING CHUN

OK, first of all, I don't care about what arts are involved, or what lineage, or who badmouthed whom. What are we, six years old? Let's grow up.

Second, that was the silliest slapping contest I've ever seen. Neither person knows the first thing about anything related to martial arts. I am not an expert myself; I only have four years in Isshin-Ryu training; but even I can tell that was talentless, untrained, silly-buggers.

And third, please don't type in all CAPS. It makes it look LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING. Very hard to read.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was I watching the right clip?
There was nothing that had the faintest resemblance to Wing Chun in it.
I assume it was the smaller guy that was supposed to be a practitioner , but he did not exhibit either the characteristic Wing Chun stance or guard , more like a quasi boxing stance and guard.
If you watch closely, several times he had the opportunity to use the centerline punch straight to the face of the taller guy , but instead ridiculously he chose to try and get his arm around the other guys neck to effect some sort of head lock.
I don't know what he is , but he's certainly not doing Wing Chun as I know it.
There are techniques from the wooden dummy form that are used to pull on the neck , but these are used to pull the opponent into an elbow strike , knee strike to bladder or some other strike.

Not for attempting to put the opponent in a head lock which would require the use of brute strength , the Wing Chun guy will always be trying to keep both his hands free or use one to trap while the other is striking , that is one of the skills taught in sticking hands

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmmmm....watched the video and I couldn't tell who was supposed to be who.

Neither of them looked like they had a nickle's worth of training

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
First clue that someone is NOT classically trained in Wing Chun is when they break thier own center line without being forced to do it.

OP
fighterman

fighterman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
for Now I'll keep the comments going then I'll fill you in on the whole story

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So you'd like us to make our comments based on incomplete information?
:hmm:

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
well, credit to both for getting out there to do a little sparring, though i dont think i would credit this as a serious fight, both looked as though they hadn't done much sparring at all previous to this and all training (however much they had) kinda went out the window. but you have to start somewhere i guess. i cant see that any of these guys had 20 years of training though - maybe twenty lessons.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
No Way either have 2 1/2 years "real" wing chun or muay thai training much less 20 years. And very little to no sparring/fight experience. Muay Thai guy no proper mt stance or structure, same for wc guy. Both holding their chin extremely high and the dropping of the hands when punching is complete inexperience. Trained MT and WC no way!

OP
fighterman

fighterman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In brief the story goes like this. The smaller stockier guy has been badmouthing all wing chun lineages proclaiming himself the number one italian exponent of William Cheung. and claims he ttrains 8 hours a day for the past 20 years.... he's been going on like this for about 3 years also claiming he had already defeated notable wing chun wing tsun ving tsun masters etc etc etc...
also he claimed he beat up and he could take on MMA fighters and in this case he claimed that the opponent he fought (if we would like to call it a fight) he would defeat him in 5 seconds with one hand... personally whether they were prepared or not I feel he got his just desserts. If there's soemthing I hate is showoffs, false prophets, invincible masters that in the end his aim was to gain money and pubblicity lying to the public through misuse of the internet....ok maybe Im a 6 year old but this is how I feel and so do many others

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
In brief the story goes like this. The smaller stockier guy has been badmouthing all wing chun lineages proclaiming himself the number one italian exponent of William Cheung. and claims he ttrains 8 hours a day for the past 20 years.... he's been going on like this for about 3 years also claiming he had already defeated notable wing chun wing tsun ving tsun masters etc etc etc...
also he claimed he beat up and he could take on MMA fighters and in this case he claimed that the opponent he fought (if we would like to call it a fight) he would defeat him in 5 seconds with one hand... personally whether they were prepared or not I feel he got his just desserts. If there's soemthing I hate is showoffs, false prophets, invincible masters that in the end his aim was to gain money and pubblicity lying to the public through misuse of the internet....ok maybe Im a 6 year old but this is how I feel and so do many others
Send Me in with My Hands Cuffed behind My Back and Ill beat them both up.
I bet WC_lun, WingChunIan, Bill Mattocks, and Mook Jong Man can all say the same.
Because they were both atrocious at what They were doing.
Just dessert is all fine and whatnot but this was a poor excuse for a wrestling match, and nothing more.
Hell, this is more interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5YNCtWLkjk&feature=g-vrec&context=G217d815RVAAAAAAAABg

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

Why did I know you were going to say that???

OP
fighterman

fighterman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Send Me in with My Hands Cuffed behind My Back and Ill beat them both up.
I bet WC_lun, WingChunIan, Bill Mattocks, and Mook Jong Man can all say the same.
Because they were both atrocious at what They were doing.
Just dessert is all fine and whatnot but this was a poor excuse for a wrestling match, and nothing more.
Hell, this is more interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5YNCtWLkjk&feature=g-vrec&context=G217d815RVAAAAAAAABg
Fair enough, I never said it was a pro match

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If there's soemthing I hate is showoffs, false prophets, invincible masters that in the end his aim was to gain money and pubblicity lying to the public through misuse of the internet....ok maybe Im a 6 year old but this is how I feel and so do many others
fighterman, would you say you hate showoffs and invincible masters more than you hate the idea of them misrepresenting theirselves and defrauding the public of their money? Which is the worst offence would you say?

Is the only way to rid the arts of charlatans to debunk them? How can this be done when -to the public- they appear and sound convincing? I think the public are not always fussed about certificates and lineage and all that. They just like flamboyant technique and big promises. How do we educate the public and also, how do we avoid being seen as showoff, false prophet and invincible master? Thank you.

simplewc101

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I saw no Muay Thai, and I saw no Wing Chun. I train at a school with a sifu who teaches both.. almost any student with 6-12 months training could have beat both of them at the same time with one arm and one leg behind their back... naw i kid, i kid, but almost any student with 6-12 months training could have fought either one and had a decisive victory.
The only thing he has been training for 20 years is 12 oz curls, he's not in shape , check end of video when he has his shirt pulled over his head while he's in the guard

Latest Discussions