Seven star praying mantis

J

Josephk

hello, i'm new to this forum, i currently study goju ryu and shotokan karate, and i'm also planning to do either 7 star mantis, or wing chun kung fu, however i don't know a lot about 7 star, so could someone please tell me the kind of techniques it includes, thanks

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Josephk said:
hello, i'm new to this forum, i currently study goju ryu and shotokan karate, and i'm also planning to do either 7 star mantis, or wing chun kung fu, however i don't know a lot about 7 star, so could someone please tell me the kind of techniques it includes, thanks
Well, it is quite a complex system, but there is a heavy focus on clsoe contact fighting. Alot of joint locks and breaks. Lots of throws and trapping. Most of our kicks are powerful low kicks, mostly knee kicks and groin kicks and such. We d oalot of "plucking" which includes yielding and using the opponents enrgy against them. Quick and effective hand techniques as well.

Thats a very basic nutshell. I didn't really do it justice now that I read it.

7sm

OP
J

Josephk

ok thanks, sounds good, quite similar to goju ryu in a lot of ways.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So did you make any decisions about what system your going to study?

7sm

OP
J

Josephk

i'm going to do 7 star i think, but i keep forgetting to phone the place up and get the details, so i don't know when i'll eventually start haha

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did you start your training yet? What schools are you looking at attending? Who is the Sifu?

Good luck in your training,
7sm

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Good luck in your training, Northern PM is wicked awesome once you get past the basic forms. Actually even the basics are wicked awesome :)

OP
J

Josephk

i got in touch with the academy closest to me, and i think i'm going to go along to a class next week, so i'll have more to say after that. The school is called the north east moi fa academy (meaning north east of england)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Josephk said:
i got in touch with the academy closest to me, and i think i'm going to go along to a class next week, so i'll have more to say after that. The school is called the north east moi fa academy (meaning north east of england)
I looked up there website, and they are teaching Lee Kam Wings system. I don't know about the instructor personally, but LKW's material is very good. If this guy has trained with LKW chances are he has a good level of skill.

7sm

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I looked up there website, and they are teaching Lee Kam Wings system. I don't know about the instructor personally, but LKW's material is very good. If this guy has trained with LKW chances are he has a good level of skill.

7sm

Hi 7*

I'm actually in the middle of learning a mantis form and I find it very mysterious and unusual, but very graceful! In fact in my system we cover quite a lot of different systems! If you go to our website you might be able to get a better idea www.aftma.org,uk. But there are actually loads of other systems I would love to try especially Wing chun and Wushu!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
That webpage didn't work for me.

7sm

Hi 7*

Sorry to hear that! I think I may have put a comma where there should have been a dot! www.aftma.org.uk

But we are also affiliated to the Eagle Claw Association in America. If you can find The WUMA site I'm sure you'll be able to find a link for our site!

Latest Discussions