300+ lbs opponents? What do I do?

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just curious what I should be working to improve my game against behemoth opponents? People who have more in common strength wise with larger species of mammals? I will add that i am 6 feet tall in the 250 range. I'm not super strong. I am also thinking starting from standing.

Anyone know any good videos? Techniques? I usually end up getting dragged around/down and have to end up playing a solid defense. I'm good at that, and it works, but I would like to figure out ways to put the pressure on bigger guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never had the pleasure of fighting a 300+ lb guy (or girl) but I would take the knees out first.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All things being equal a big guy will take out a smaller individual. However, in life few things are equal. My advice is movement. If you are up stick and move. Utilize speed on them if you have it and capitalize on their having bigger areas to strike. If you are on the ground movement again. Do not be caught flat on your back and utilize your body structure and movement to get you in position to do damage or a finishing technique. Movement!!!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is that a Kenpo technique called Dance of Death where you circle the guy until he dies from laughter? :D
Listen, smiley, most of that tech is supposed to be done while the guy is arcing through the air; so, the funny thing is, we teach a funky, bad, and not very good, watered, down, basket ball dunken', version, which is kind of funny, now that you mention it. o_O

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As said before take out a knee, go for a rear naked choke. If you can find a weapon use that especially on the knee then across temple. Going toe to toe on a straight line is terrible, use angles aim for vulnerable areas such as temples, nose, throat. If there is something to throw in his face to make him blink then sucker punch him and run do that.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Listen, smiley, most of that tech is supposed to be done while the guy is arcing through the air; so, the funny thing is, we teach a funky, bad, and not very good, watered, down, basket ball dunken', version, which is kind of funny, now that you mention it. o_O
Did you call me Smiley? You better buy me a drink first :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This being the BJJ section, I'll assume that taking out the knee isn't realistic. When I roll with guys who are 50 or 100 lbs bigger than me, I never concede the top. I fight like crazy to avoid guard. And if I am on the bottom, I frame and shrimp and do not let them settle.

On top, stay mobile and look for their back.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
All the same size lying down.:)

Not if they are lying on top of you.

WOu7rVYkwEGo3SfuvaaIdw7P9xIhDw3m2rx6Z017L9xwi1itppidKyX2_VKZSDIB71Y0YANkh3A79Rvq-dVONQdO8zcKD4AFdPgJO_5tkJpdevx8uiRtnA=w428-h343-nc

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This being the BJJ section, I'll assume that taking out the knee isn't realistic. When I roll with guys who are 50 or 100 lbs bigger than me, I never concede the top. I fight like crazy to avoid guard. And if I am on the bottom, I frame and shrimp and do not let them settle.

On top, stay mobile and look for their back.

Concur. I've pulled guard on someone significantly larger than me and then almost immediately I'd go "doh!"

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just curious what I should be working to improve my game against behemoth opponents? People who have more in common strength wise with larger species of mammals? I will add that i am 6 feet tall in the 250 range. I'm not super strong. I am also thinking starting from standing.

Anyone know any good videos? Techniques? I usually end up getting dragged around/down and have to end up playing a solid defense. I'm good at that, and it works, but I would like to figure out ways to put the pressure on bigger guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without more info, I would start checking if they are slow (usually they are), and if they are not comfortable with short distance (usually big strikers are not, but fatal error if they are grapplers!).

If yes x2, circle them, footwork, enter in angles and out quickly, avoiding religiously their punching range. Hopefully (usually), they get tired faster than lighter people (me and you), so just some pressure to brake their stamina and power before heavy strikes. Striking (kicking) knees (in combinations or not) usually is safe and pays off.

BUT, if their are well trained, with good cardio and fast enough (or great timing)... it is THE challenge. :)

Edit: I realised it is in the BJJ section. Well, I would choose to be always on the top. :) And quite the same strategy. Tire them, abuse of their (probable) slowness (at least for some moves) and inability to perform some techniques.

It is always about finding and exploiting weaknessses.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being little, everyone is bigger, it's what I'm used to. Work position. When he moves, you move. Every time he shifts anything, you shift as well, make everything he does different than where he wanted it to be.

There's times you'll be forced into guard, take a breath and weasel out when he tires to pass or overpower you. Don't stop moving while he's moving.

It ain't so much the size, it's the skill level.

Latest Discussions