2021 Goals!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked up the regs out of curiosity. In a lot of spaces it says "you can do X" then state limitations, or "you can only do X". For exercise, it said the same, but then for the once a day limit, it said "you should limit it to once a day", not "you can exercise only once a day" or something similar. Not sure if this is saying that parts just a suggestion, not enforced, or if it's a wording issue to prevent someone from arguing they can exercise more for a non-exempt reason. You/jobo/ivan would probably know the answer to that better than me. But found it interesting.

It's Boris talk lol.
However gyms and martial arts clubs are closed though so it's back to online stuff. Iain Abernathy has been doing some good stuff so I think I'll be doing that. I'll punch and kick the bejesus out of my punch bag though.

Last edited:

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, just joined the forum, thought I'd share my goals for the year. Three months down, how is everyone getting on with theirs? Supposedly something like 80% of people give up on resolutions by mid Feb!

My goals are to:
-Focus on my flexibility and finally get box splits
-Work on weapons more, especially jian and staff
-If fortune allows it, get back to competition after a few years off

W.Bridges

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have not really set any goals this year due to last years being messed up due to Coved19. The TKD school i train at is still limited on the amount of students per class and has not set any testing dates for the year. We only get to train one day a week right now. We did not do any testing last year. My goal was to be a red belt by the end of last year. Also had plans to do more tournaments last year.
Only goal i have this year is to keep training in the gym, lose about 10 more pounds and be in class as much as i can.

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
1. Find a club in Winston Salem. I "retired" 18 years ago and I want to un-retire for a while.

2. I did a picture perfect flying side kick about 35 years ago. I want to do it again. At that point I will publish the pictures side by side. Instructors asked me why I would want to do such a pointless kick. It isn't about the kick. The kick is an indicator of my progress. In order to accomplish a decent kick I need to lose weight (lots). I am down 40 pounds in the past year. My cholesterol and other health issues will be improved. So it isn't about the kick, it is about all the stuff it takes to get me there.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Copies and pastes last year's goals that were all F'ed up due to COVID:
Goals for 2020 2021

Fight in 2 Dog Brothers events
-for those events focus on double long weapon fights
(first one in 2 weeks)

Fight in 2 HEMA events
-for those events fight in sword and shield/buckler tourneys
(this isn't looking good right now, but I can hope that things start rolling again.)

Fitness
Attend 30 year high school reunion at the same weight I graduated.
(this is looking good, worked off my COVID-19 pounds and using intermittent fasting is easily holding me to that high school target weight.)

Equal fitness benchmarks that I reached 5 years ago by November.
(weightlifting is actually there, babying a shoulder injury so pullups and snatches are being largely ignored, but my other lifts are right there again, this surprised me. Metcon isn't caught up yet.)

Instructor Stuff
Grow regular club attendance by 30%.
(Not even close, COVID is obviously screwing with things here.)

added:
Revamp curriculum so that modules have a Fundamental to Drill to Game to Spar escalation.
(20% of the way there, but speeding up as I get better at it.)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
(first one in 2 weeks)
Be sure to get some video and post it when you get back.
Fight in 2 HEMA events
(this isn't looking good right now, but I can hope that things start rolling again.)
I'm not sure when HEMA events are going to get started back up around here. I just started training HEMA (Meyer longsword and dussack) a couple of months ago and I'm really looking forward to trying some competition. Hopefully by the time we get some local tournaments going again I'll have enough practice under my belt to be at least somewhat competitive.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For me, this year is about bringing back more of my 'used-ta-could' from my 20s (within reason as I circle 40 this year).
The main goal is to prepare for my next dan grading in tkd.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Be sure to get some video and post it when you get back.
Dog Brother videos are controlled, as members of the Tribe we all get access to the videos but we do not l publish them publicly. They have had problems in the past where students have pointed out fights and essentially said; "look my instructor beat up your instructor," and that really isn't the point of what we do.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dog Brother videos are controlled, as members of the Tribe we all get access to the videos but we do not l publish them publicly. They have had problems in the past where students have pointed out fights and essentially said; "look my instructor beat up your instructor," and that really isn't the point of what we do.
Well, let me know if/when videos of the gathering go up on YouTube or on the DBMA site. I have a DBMA membership so I can check out the videos there.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was actually going to create this exact thread haha, beat me to it!

Yeah I can relate with the self-talk, or just excessive judging if something isn't absolutely perfect. So whilst still improving my technique and movement in a healthy way, working more on the 'feeling' of it, how my practice feels, and becoming more acutely aware of this as primary driver of my practice. Hard to explain really...

Definitely work on releasing tension and getting my karate more relaxed and natural all around, feel more grounded and connected in my practice in terms of learning to move more from my center (these are more general things that have and will be quite a process...), and more specifically finally find a new style and dojo home this year (a long search so far... but feel it will be worth it :) ).

And if a tournament happens through the year (pending that they're even scheduled) who knows!

Oh and attend a camp (seminars too) somewhere, anywhere. Just want to do one!
Just remembered this thread!

Updates for me:

-honing into the 'feeling' of my technique more: definitely have improved here!

-more natural, relaxed karate: yeah this year things have progressed in leaps and bounds. Still a long way to go, but all round my karate is definitely feeling more grounded and natural. Less "angst-filled".

-specifically finding a new home dojo and style: success, am very very happy here :)

-tournaments/camps/seminars: nope, nope and nope haha. They just kept getting cancelled here, maybe next year :).

How are you guys all going with yours?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
- Work to get my knees working again, and they are recovering, just really really slowly.
- Get back to regular training of Taijiquan, Yang Style, learn Sun style and maybe get back to Wu style
- If that works, then return to Xingyiquan and work with some aikido folks on breakfalls. Falling and breakfall training should be part of styles that have so much Shuaijiao, and Taijiquan and Xingyiquan have more than one may think
- Work with weight loss to at least get back to pre arthritis diagnosis and pre knee surgeries weight
- On a more personal note, work on family issues

Well, accomplished none of that...so my goal for the rest of 2021 and into 2022 is simply learning how to walk normally and hopefully getting more flexibility in the knee and get rid of this dang knee discomfort

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same goal as 2020: don't die from disease or poor habits. On target to survive through the New Year!

My method, running about 5 miles a day (stitches have put this on hold for a couple weeks), Shaolin iron body Qigong and Tai chi for muscle, tendon, and ligament health.

For peace of mind, I'm staying far from social media (present company excluded), because it's just awful and getting worse. So much hate online, breaks my heart if I think about it. So I don't.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Fought in one, the Open was weird this year so I didn't make it to that one.
Fight in 2 HEMA events
Ha, no HEMA events to speak of this year, hoping for better in 2022.

Fitness
Attend 30 year high school reunion at the same weight I graduated.
(this is looking good, worked off my COVID-19 pounds and using intermittent fasting is easily holding me to that high school target weight.)
Missed this one by 5 pounds, but not bad for 31 years later. We'll ignore what Halloween and Thanksgiving did afterwards to that particular goal.

Equal fitness benchmarks that I reached 5 years ago by November.
(weightlifting is actually there, babying a shoulder injury so pullups and snatches are being largely ignored, but my other lifts are right there again, this surprised me. Metcon isn't caught up yet.)
I had a couple of injuries that really slowed down the fitness end of things, particularly toward the end of the year, but ramping that back up now.

Instructor Stuff
Grow regular club attendance by 30%.
(Not even close, COVID is obviously screwing with things here.)
Still not even close.

added:
Revamp curriculum so that modules have a Fundamental to Drill to Game to Spar escalation.
(20% of the way there, but speeding up as I get better at it.)

40% of the way there. Slower process than I thought it would be, great project but has been largely been put on the side for now.

Latest Discussions