Enjoying the journey

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spent last week in Disneyworld with my wife, now I've been married for 31 years this year, and I know my wife, I understand that she is very organized and that she needs to have a goal or a destination before she sets out. On this trip it really struck me. I would have been very happy to wander around and enjoy the attractions and shows as I came upon them, she needed to have the day laid out and know what we were doing next.

I began to wonder if my longevity in the martial arts was because I enjoy the journey, whereas some people set a goal to get a black belt and then, having accomplished that goal, either quit or move on to a different art for another black belt and then another because they need to have that goal in front of them. I have cross trained and always enjoyed it, so I'm not suggesting that one way is better or worse than the other, but I'd be interested in hearing which category everyone falls into and how it's affected your approach to the martial arts.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I enjoy the journey, but I like to have a direction, not necessarily a goal. I like to see that I'm improving and growing in an art. When that stops, I go elsewhere.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think it is martial arts training that gave me the ability to enjoy the journey. At some point I began just going to classes because that is what I do, not thinking about the goal ahead. I train in 2 new arts now (just 1 class/week in one and 2 classes/month in the other) and sometimes I am sure I am a little too laid back on getting the material down, but I always get a little nudge when I need it!

I still consider myself a student of my first art (15 years), though I don't get to train with that instructor more than a couple times per year. I do teach that art, though.

It transfers into other areas of my life...

I used to be a multitasker. I am sure my boss would love me to be that person again, but, while I do get things done, I don't get them done in the rush rush I used to have.

Also, I am more patient when the people in front of me like to drive slower than I like to drive.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I spent last week in Disneyworld with my wife, now I've been married for 31 years this year, and I know my wife, I understand that she is very organized and that she needs to have a goal or a destination before she sets out. On this trip it really struck me. I would have been very happy to wander around and enjoy the attractions and shows as I came upon them, she needed to have the day laid out and know what we were doing next.

I began to wonder if my longevity in the martial arts was because I enjoy the journey, whereas some people set a goal...

Hey, I'm totally with you on this. BTW we went to Disneyworld for the first time last August. My wife of 21 years did the same thing you described...all that planning. Me, I just wandered around, enjoying myself. But thank god for people like her, or I'd still be wandering the parking lot, wondering if I parked by "Dopey" or "Grumpy".

As far as goals go, they can be great motivators for a while. But they always seem like kind of a let down after you attain them. In the long run, the journey is all there is.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am enjoying the MA journey again.

Me too. You know back in the 80's, before a long layoff from the MA's, I made my way up to "Sifu" in my core system. Back then I spent a lot of time working at getting my next rank, always striving to learn another coveted group of techniques (long pole, wooden dummy, etc.). And, I admit, I was often looking over my shoulder and trying to stay ahead of some of my Kung-fu brothers in the system.

Now, after so many years away (16?, 18?) I've been back at it for about a year...just as a student. And you know what? Finally, I'm really enjoying myself!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine is abot the journey of enlightment when I finally reach that relm, I am sure I will find something else to call it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I started TKD, it was about the goal - black belt. As I got closer to that "goal", I realized that journey was never-ending, and that the "goal" was only a sign post along the way. The day I stop learning (something, anything, every day) is the day you can shoot me; I'm already dead.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For me it has always been a journey. I was excited about each new rank, don't get me wrong, but mostly because it meant that I was going to learn a new poomse and some new 1-steps. Even though I have just recently earned my 1st dan black belt, I still know that there is much, much more for me to learn.

I do think that there are many people who do focus on the goal. I have seen serveral from our school who once they earned their 1st dan just dissappeared over the next few weeks following the graduation.

The only regret that I have is that I didn't start sooner.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
My "goal" as such is just to get better so keeping my focus where it should be, on what I am doing at the moment, is easy.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I must admit...when I started in TKD, my goal was to achieve blackbelt status, and then to be an instructor. I had my goal set, and I had my time set for when I need to attend class, and that's all I wanted.

However, once I reached yellowbelt, I realized that earning a blackbelt was going to take a long time...if I were going to truly EARN the belt.

Once I realized how much work was involved, I stopped dreaming about being a blackbelt, and concentrated more on short term goals, like making my kicks better, learning the next move for the next rank. I would even learn the forms in advance.

I realized that practicing TKD, or any other MA, is as much about the road you take to get to your goal as it is about the stops along the way.

My wife is very much like you described...she likes to have a set way to do things on a trip, and doesn't like to alter the plan too much. But I think it's a great compliment to the way I am now, and we both have gained more from it, and we both have learned how to have the maximum amount of fun with the minimum amount of stress.

OP
morph4me

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must admit...when I started in TKD, my goal was to achieve blackbelt status, and then to be an instructor. I had my goal set, and I had my time set for when I need to attend class, and that's all I wanted.

However, once I reached yellowbelt, I realized that earning a blackbelt was going to take a long time...if I were going to truly EARN the belt.

Once I realized how much work was involved, I stopped dreaming about being a blackbelt, and concentrated more on short term goals, like making my kicks better, learning the next move for the next rank. I would even learn the forms in advance.

I realized that practicing TKD, or any other MA, is as much about the road you take to get to your goal as it is about the stops along the way.

My wife is very much like you described...she likes to have a set way to do things on a trip, and doesn't like to alter the plan too much. But I think it's a great compliment to the way I am now, and we both have gained more from it, and we both have learned how to have the maximum amount of fun with the minimum amount of stress.

That's the kind of things that keep us balanced and strong, yin and yang. It used to drive me crazy, now I appreciate it. It's just another way my martial arts training has colored my perception.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've always been into martial arts. Since I was like 5 years old. I was just mesmerized by it. For me, my journey started back when I was like 8-9 when I desperately wanted to learn the martial arts but because of my parents being somewhat closed minded and not so wealthy. The closest school was 35 minutes away. And, back then.. with the only way to get there being my parents... who refused. I had no way to go.. Eventually a school opened in my town.. I was probably 14 by this time. Its really been a journey ever since. Black belt is just the first stop on a longer journey. I don't intend to stop when I hit black belt. I want to teach, But there are plenty of people in my class, who care about nothing other than hitting black belt. This seperates the dedication level of our students.. You can tell who is taking up a hobby, and who is a dedicated martial artist. My journey never ends.. or so I don't want it to.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a good friend that id very into Tai Chi. I couldn't tell you what sort, but he is facinated by it. He trains with a singularity of purpose that I find amazing. He trains daily without fail in his backyard. Rain or shine. He also lifts wieghts and runs with the same discipline. He does these things without any type of external reward. He told me once that he doesn't really get the idea of why we karate guys get all bound up in the "belt issue" as he puts it.I find it interesting and a bit alien to how I think.

I am a goal oriented and task oriented individual. When I meet a new goal I have to set a new one, if I don't I feel stagnate and more than a bit lost, truth to be told. As I came through the ranks I focused intently on advancement, now it I'll fixate on a new form or improving my bench press by five pounds or so. When I compete I'll train hard to consistantly win or place in my dovisions for martial arts or to not hit less than a double in soft ball(catching the ball is another matter, given that I catch like Ray Charles :)).

The point is I gotta have a yardstick to measure my progress and my friends would probably grind to a halt if presented with one. Interesting how, differently folks minds are wired.

Mark