Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years?

Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years

• Tom Kelly

• Steve LaBounty

• Paul Mills

• Mike Pick

• Huk Planas

• John Sepulveda

• Chuck Sullivan

• Larry Tatum

• Frank Trejo

• Somebody else -- please name in your reply

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka,

Jeff Speakman was a Goju-Ryu stylist that used to train under Mr. Lou Angel. He came over to American Kenpo after attaining his third degree black belt in Goju-Ryu. He trained in the West Los Angeles School under Mr. Larry Tatum until 1988 when Mr. Tatum and Mr. Parker split. After the split he trained under Mr. Parker about once or twice a week until Mr. Parker died in December of 1990.

Jeff Speakman started pursuing an acting career while he was training at the West Los Angeles Studio. As a result, he was cast as the lead role in the Perfect Weapon. Mr. Parker choreographed the movie, but didn't get to see the end result hit the big screen when it was released in 1991.

Jeff Speakman and Bryan Hawkins founded The United Kenpo Systems association in 1994. Many people had a difficult time trying to maintain their membership to the I.K.K.A. after Mr. Parker's passing and these two gentlemen were no exception. Eventually they would have a difference of opinion in regard to the direction of their new association (The UKS), which eventually caused Jeff to leave and start his own association the AKS (American Kenpo Systems).

Jeff Speakman's AKS started going through some major changes over this past year. Its numbers have noticeably decreased recently.

He still does seminars, and I've attended a couple of them. He isn't a bad mover, but you can see the Goju-Ryu influence in his motion. The only thing that disappointed me about Mr. Speakman is that he has a tendency to talk poorly of other associations during his seminars. Other than that... he's just another Kenpo guy dancing to the tune of his own horn. I hope I helped.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks. I always wondered where he trained, how long, etc., to go from anonymity to self-appointed senior in no time at all. Generally, when you hear of someone starting up their own assn, it a name recognizable in AK for years; I'd never heard of Speakman till the movie came out, and he's one of the most talked about assn's on the web.

Thanks for the 411!

Dr. Dave

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Thanks. I always wondered where he trained, how long, etc., to go from anonymity to self-appointed senior in no time at all. Generally, when you hear of someone starting up their own assn, it a name recognizable in AK for years; I'd never heard of Speakman till the movie came out, and he's one of the most talked about assn's on the web.

Thanks for the 411!

Dr. Dave

You're welcome. :asian:

M

marshallbd

Marcus Buonfiglio said:
You make a good point Mike and I agree. You can also say that having a lot of experience against an art gives you a good understanding of it. Although Mr. Pick hasn't trained as a student in any other system he has worked extensively against others who are highly trained in other disciplines. As examples I will use FMA knife and BJJ. These disciplines are prevalent in the military personal that he trains. On a regular basis he is challenged by these solders looking to test their metal against what he teaches. I have been witness to him working with trained UFC fighters countering what they were attempting and taking it to the simulated kill. I have been witness to him working freeform with trained FMA knife combatants and dominating their attack also taking it to the simulated kill. To become proficient at implementing another discipline requires extensive training at that discipline but in my opinion, the key to defeating it is understanding its core principles. Thank you for the dialogue.
All I can say is that I have seen Mr Pick move and I would never ever want to be on the recieving end. He is my vote for the simple reason is I have never respected someone as much as I do him....He was gracious enough to invite me to train with him in his home (Through stupidity on my part I didn't continue past three or four lessons) and I heard him say once that Kenpo is all he has ever needed or will need..... :asian:

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Probably some guy no one really has any knowledge of? Who knows? All though this is a cool notion to predict who will and to see all of you defend your Association Leader or instructor, the simple fact is there are far many more people out there than we all realize and the ones that are doing something with the art aren't always the one the like the lime light.
Just my opinion :asian:

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka,

Jeff Speakman was a Goju-Ryu stylist that used to train under Mr. Lou Angel. He came over to American Kenpo after attaining his third degree black belt in Goju-Ryu. He trained in the West Los Angeles School under Mr. Larry Tatum until 1988 when Mr. Tatum and Mr. Parker split. After the split he trained under Mr. Parker about once or twice a week until Mr. Parker died in December of 1990..
I am attending ou Angel's 50th anniversary (as a martial arts student) Tournament and Banquet this June 4-6 in Joplin, Mo. Jeff Speakman is scheduled to be there, last I heard.

This will be the first tournament I will fight in, and only the second I have ever attended. Wahta noob!

I bought 2 copies of Speakman seminars on Ebay. I don't know squat about AK but I learned a lot from watching them... mostly I learned not to f*** with an AK black-belt !

The founder of the shaolin kempo style I study has also worked a lot with Lou Angel, I wnoder if you could see the Goju in our Karazenpo haha we include Goju kata at our post-shodan curriculum.

If you are near Joplin, come see me fight and encourage me!!!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
All I can say is that I have seen Mr Pick move and I would never ever want to be on the recieving end. He is my vote for the simple reason is I have never respected someone as much as I do him....He was gracious enough to invite me to train with him in his home (Through stupidity on my part I didn't continue past three or four lessons) and I heard him say once that Kenpo is all he has ever needed or will need..... :asian:
It is quite possible I might get to attend one of Mr. Pick's seminars in a few months. I would have to take off work and travel, but it should be cool.
Sean

M

marshallbd

Touch'O'Death said:
It is quite possible I might get to attend one of Mr. Pick's seminars in a few months. I would have to take off work and travel, but it should be cool.
Sean
Be sure and tell us about that experience! To see him move is an experience, te FEEL him move is a painful experience!
:asian:

O

OC Kid

I noticed no one has mentioned Mr Bob White. To me he has influenced my martial art life tremdously.

He has trained some of the best fighters in the country. Many Many Internationals trouphies in individual and team fighting events. His school is a magnat school for fighters in the SoCal area.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
OC Kid said:
I noticed no one has mentioned Mr Bob White. To me he has influenced my martial art life tremdously.

He has trained some of the best fighters in the country. Many Many Internationals trouphies in individual and team fighting events. His school is a magnat school for fighters in the SoCal area.

Mr. White sure is an important person in Kenpo history, no doubt.
And from what I hear, one heck of a fine person too boot. :asian:

Your Brother
John

O

OC Kid

Yes he is a very nice person. Everyone in his school is very courtesous nice friendly and very well disciplined and taught very well.

M

Mark Weiser

Well if I may throw in my two cents worth in the mix.

The major problem is that most of the senior masters are in their late or mid sixties (those whom were among the Kenpo Students of SGM Parker during the 60's).

We have to start looking at those whom are currently in the 5th to 8th dan level and are in the age range of 40 to 50 years of age.

These will soon be the senior masters and will impact Kenpo for the next 20 years.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

N

Nick Ellerton

I was Fortunate enough to attend one of Mr Speakmans seminars last year in late november in melbourne, when he and his student Trevor Sherman came out to australia. And i must say it was impressive to see Mr Speakman move but then again its impressive to see any AK black belt move. But i was extremely intrigued as to how trevor sherman moved and just his mear presence was impressive. Mr Speakman is head of the American Kenpo Karate System (AKKS) and is still teaching in lake Arrowhead. And Every 12 months has an seminar in las vegas. But aside from that trevor sherman. Nice man, big man, hard man. Im not really supposed to be a critic but an excellent Kenpoist. Another thing that i wish to add is that there are so many unknown, well not unknown lets say less publicised Instructors in the Art that do not get the recognition in which they all deserve.

N

Nick Ellerton

just an observation but i have noticed that there is alot of votes for Mr Tatum and Mr Mills. it is intrigueing to see that there are alot of votes going towards the 'mainstream' instructors in the art. Which is a good thing.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nick Ellerton said:
just an observation but i have noticed that there is alot of votes for Mr Tatum and Mr Mills. it is intrigueing to see that there are alot of votes going towards the 'mainstream' instructors in the art. Which is a good thing.

Are you of the opinion that Mr Tatum and Mr Mills are "mainstream" instructors?

Both of these gentlemen have their own unique way of sharing their knowledge, and each is worthy of the praise their students give them.

Larry Tatum recently flew into England in the afternoon, travelled by car for several hours and then taught seminars during the evening. The next morning morning he repeated the car journey and flew out VERY early, to another location in Europe, where he also taught.

Paul Mills is anything but mainstream. His dedication to sharing his knowledge is phenonemal. I have seen him teach in seminars all day at a camp, and in between them spend his time helping students with their Kenpo. He gives of himself 100%, and has as much time for a Yellow belt as he has for a high ranking Black Belt.

Les

N

Nick Ellerton

Les said:
Are you of the opinion that Mr Tatum and Mr Mills are "mainstream" instructors?

Both of these gentlemen have their own unique way of sharing their knowledge, and each is worthy of the praise their students give them.

Larry Tatum recently flew into England in the afternoon, travelled by car for several hours and then taught seminars during the evening. The next morning morning he repeated the car journey and flew out VERY early, to another location in Europe, where he also taught.

Paul Mills is anything but mainstream. His dedication to sharing his knowledge is phenonemal. I have seen him teach in seminars all day at a camp, and in between them spend his time helping students with their Kenpo. He gives of himself 100%, and has as much time for a Yellow belt as he has for a high ranking Black Belt.

Les

Ummm i think that you have missinterpereted what i meant. All i was getting at is by mainstream i meant these guys according to the boters on this pole are the ones to whom are going to impact on the art the most and by mainstream i mean the popularity of the instructor, eg larry tatum is probably the most commen cos he is out there offering all he can to the art and those who could potentially be in it. IM not bagging them dude so dont jump on the defensive its cool

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You're right. I did take it completely the wrong way.

Now that you're clarified it I can see what you meant.

Thanks for setting me straight :)

Les

N

Nick Ellerton

One person that id like to see and no a little more about is one Mr Tommy Chavies. Doesnt seem to be much about him on this thread yet he is beginning to be a rather large influence in Australian American Kenpo.

scfgabe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am new to American Kenpo. However, I have spent quite a wile researching the various groups within the American Kenpo community. I have been trying to decide which group is the most progressive and dynamic for me to learn the art from. Without a doubt, I have felt that Paul Mills and the AKKI have what I am looking for, which is good leadership, structure, comraderie, teaching principles and innovation. I am excited that I have been able to find the AKKI and a local school in which to begin learning the art!

- Gabe

Latest Discussions