• Mr. Fowler

• Mr. Wheeler

• Mr. Tatum

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I were to buy someones complete series of Kenpo videos just to get "better" at (EPAK) Kenpo, which one should I buy?

I know Mr. Planas' series is supposed to be excellent but it does not contain "how to's" for the Techniques. I know Mr. Tatum has the techniques all available.

I know Mr. Hancock has some tapes that focus on methods of execution and underlying principles.

Notwithstanding what they are specifically teaching, if I were to buy someones series just to make my Kenpo better, whose should I buy?

Who sells The Best set of Kenpo Videos?

Let's try to keep this civil, it could easily get out of hand. If you would like, please post a reason for your vote, mention your experience with the tapes in question and try not to flame anyone. I've purposefully left off a couple of people who I don't think would get any votes anyway, but if please feel free to add someone if I have left them off and you want to reccomend them.

K

Kroy

I rather enjoyed the Tabatabai video series. His training partner(I believe his name is Masoud) took a beating and played the part quite well.

E

Elfan

Allthough it would take a gooddeal more work it would probably be worth you're time to try get just the best video's from the series you mentioned.

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
One of my main goals over the next few years is to put together an extensive kenpo library, which includes everyone on your list, and a few others. Currently, my favorite are the Larry Tatum series.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CD,
This is sort of an unfair question because its not as if those that are voting have seen each of the choices. Just an observation.

G

gravity

anyone got any insight into Mr. Wheeler's series?
Specifically what areas are covered etc.

Thanks Kindly

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
CD,
This is sort of an unfair question because its not as if those that are voting have seen each of the choices. Just an observation.

Yeah I know. It is unfair to ask people's opinion and then ask them how they arrived at it:
please post a reason for your vote, mention your experience with the tapes in question

But it is just a message board, what else could I do? Some people are just going to post nonsense and make trouble no matter what you do.
:rolleyes:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a problem with asking which is 'the best' is that people tend to favor their own lineage. Also, a fair conparision would require the reviewer to have seen all of the tapes in question.

Has anyone seen something from all, or even most of those listed? The only 2 I knew had tapes was Planas n Tatum.

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
I think a problem with asking which is 'the best' is that people tend to favor their own lineage. Also, a fair conparision would require the reviewer to have seen all of the tapes in question.

Has anyone seen something from all, or even most of those listed? The only 2 I knew had tapes was Planas n Tatum.

Bob, of course I have to agree with you but if anyone would vote and state the reasons for their opinion then I think that is the best we can hope for.

I've seen 1-2 clips from many of these, from the web and other places and I'm hoping that after everyone gets to post their "ad" that I can then check out the best sounding ones more closely.

That is about as good as we can do without having our own Kenpo Video Awards where all the judges have to watch all the videos.

Hey, that might be another fundraiser. We did something like that at the TV Station I built at UT. :eek:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can't judge a tape or a tape series on a few clips. Remember, the commercials for some movies are the only good parts...the other 2 hrs has ya clawing your eyes out. (Oh wait, that was just me at Ep1 of Star Wars.) :D

Purhaps a better way to phrase it is "Which of these have you seen, and of those, which do you consider the best?"

Just a thought. :)

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Purhaps a better way to phrase it is "Which of these have you seen, and of those, which do you consider the best?"

Just a thought. :)

Thanks Bob, you are too thorough and I am perhaps too hasty when I try to post a short question.
:confused:

I'll have to go back and look at my original statment but I didn't see any difference in my question and your reworded question. I will take any blame for that.

Excuse me for forgetting I'm on the Internet, home of the anonymous expert, but how could someone reccomend something they had not seen or at least discussed at length with someone who had seen it? Truly this may be an "internet mentality."

Here is what I really was thinking/meant when I started this thread and poll:

I have seen clips of some video series on the web and by looking at parts of videos friends of mine have. For example, one of my friends won a Tatum tape in an internet giveaway and I have seen Mr. Tatum's 2nd Brown tape this way (I think that was it).

So I know there are tapes out there that cover Kenpo and some that cover EPAK as it more or less is laid out in Book 5 of Infinite Insights.

For those of you who have seen more than I have; for those that have purchased a set and would reccomend it to others; especially for those who have purchased EPAK videos and sets of EPAK videos from more than one person and would then reccomend a particular series I ask which series would you reccomend and why?

Not to learn the techniques necessarily, but to get better in general. For example, Mr. Martin Wheeler seems to have a long series on applying Kenpo in different situations such as Grappling and Fighting, but perhaps not even one tape on "techniques." Others could argue that if you buy Mr. Planas' tapes on the forms that everything would get better at everything as the proper understanding and execution of the forms will improve all of your basics.

So if you have experience with a set of videos and you have a reason to reccomend one, which one would you reccomend and why?

Thus the reasoning and thought behind my original question

If I were to buy someones complete series of Kenpo videos just to get "better" at (EPAK) Kenpo, which one should I buy?
:asian:

Note: Please disregard any interpretation of my comment as anything other than wonder at how this was not clear originally. My apologies for not being clearer at the outset.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey I liked Star Wars Episode 1, I must have been the only one though :(

I have all the Fowler tapes, most of the Tabatabai tapes and a couple of Planas tapes.
The best at explaining how/why to do something is Planas with Tabatabai doing a pretty good job of going over techniques. Fowler doesn't do a bad job just that most of the tapes have bad lighting and makes it hard to see what's going on.

:p

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember, the commercials for some movies are the only good parts...the other 2 hrs has ya clawing your eyes out. (Oh wait, that was just me at Ep1 of Star Wars.) :D

Amen. George Lucas may well go to Hell for that. But don't get me started. At least not on this thread.
:soapbox:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's all in what you're looking for. I feel video tapes should be used for reference not for a lack of a better term "end all, be all" teaching. Nothing can replace a good instructor.:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a supplement or reference their are tapes that are useful.

I recommend:

Huk Palanas - Forms (of course)
Mr. Tatum - (Excellent, especially newer stuff)
Mr. Sasaki - Technique reference (close)
Mr. Tabatabai - (Techs)

I do not recommend:

Mr. Fowlers

I have not seen:

Mr. Hancock's (But am sure they are very detailed)
Mr. Wedlake's (Whose reputation is very good)
Mr. Wheeler's (I have no frame of reference)

There Doug, is that what you wanted? It all depends on your resources, are and what you are willing to spend. The other idea, if you are a distance learner, and rather spend your money on travel and lessons, rather that dvd's or tapes, tape yourself with, or under the direction of your teacher. You get an instant reference that your body remembers. It really jars the memory.

I personally rather buy knifes and such with my extra money .... YEAH, RIGHT, as if there was any such thing. This weekend was rough, Gil Hibben tomahawk, two throwing knives, the Hibben Kenpo-Karambit Claw II, and a folder that he pulled out of his pocket (the ones he was selling were nice, but his had the crest on the blade.)

-Michael

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I also agree with kenpo3631.
There is no substitute for a good personal instructor.
Videos are suppliments.

Yes, Mr. Billings, that was a great answer to my question.

I was just thinking that there were people out there who had seen more of these videos than I have.

I know in a seminar that Mr. Parker, Jr. said he really liked Martin Wheeler and I see that Mr. Wheeler's tapes are not what we normally do at the studio, from the tape descriptions and clips anyway.

And Mr. Duffy will frequently refer to Mr. Planas when teaching Forms and has a few "Planas variations" that he likes on some of the techniques as well.

It was my intention to see who had seen what and liked it for what reason.

Just a thread on a message board... I am not trying to start a video collection for myself.

Mr. Duffy and I have already shot footage for a series of DVDs but that project is on the back burner. If I personally were going to buy a DVD or Tape I'd want it to be either a reference for Techniques or something very cool that I have not seen or done such as what Mr. Wheeler's ground fighting stuff looks like.

That is all.

I'm also doing a bit of covert research here for an idea I have. I really didn't think this thread would turn into so much of "What are you talking about?" But it did. Oh well. I still hope to get some more good responses to this threa, but we shall see perhaps.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sifu Duffy and his students attended lots of Huk Palanas seminars when he was coming to Dallas several times / year. It was a learning experience and was primarily between 1984 or 1985 and 1990. We did a lot of seminars on Forms with Huk and it was not tapes that the material came from, but 10 or 15 of us riding up in the big van and seeing him in person. We all already knew the Forms .... but we did not KNOW the forms the way Huk did.

Whew!
-Michael

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
Sifu Duffy and his students attended lots of Huk Palanas seminars when he was coming to Dallas several times / year. It was a learning experience and was primarily between 1984 or 1985 and 1990. We did a lot of seminars on Forms with Huk and it was not tapes that the material came from, but 10 or 15 of us riding up in the big van and seeing him in person. We all already knew the Forms .... but we did not KNOW the forms the way Huk did.

Whew!
-Michael

That would have been very cool.
I was with Mr. Swan during that time.
Now the only way I can relate to that, without having Mr. Duffy re-teach that material in class specifically, is to get Mr. Planas' tapes and study them like you studied them in person. Naturally, I have had through Long 4 by now so I would be doing what you did, looking to see his perspective on the forms.

It might give me good info/ammo for a test...
:eek:

This is another benefit of video I believe. I can sort of see some of what I missed.
:asian:

O

ob2c

I have some of each of these.

Mr. Tabatabai - good. He does a good job on the techniques and explanations.

Mr. Sasaki - ok, but he rushes through the techniques. I got the impresion he's performing more for the judges than moving for effect.

Mr. Fowler- good, but a little expensive.

Mr. Tatum - everything I've seen of his is excellent.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ob2c
I have some of each of these.

Mr. Sasaki - ok, but he rushes through the techniques. I got the impresion he's performing more for the judges than moving for effect.

That's what I think of his videos too, fast and flippy like he's competing.

:p

Latest Discussions