• Mr. Wheeler

• Mr. Tatum

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I have heard many people say that Larry Tatum has the best series of tapes. I do know that Al Farnsworth has to have the worst set of tapes I have ever seen.

I'd have to see some of those tapes.

Kenpo videos are a little hobby of mine :)

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,
I think (rob) that it is part of the avatar and the kinda dead pan whole thing,
I should say that the post regarding someone dead is not what was funny it was other items relating to it.

Classic Clyde, I have not seen it in a while since I have not been able to view his home base.

I did not know the man (Al Farnsworth) but have read his bio and his thoughts on forms of Chinese Kempo, why is he doing EPAK?

Sokeship and Ed was not a mixture? Or was it, or is it? Secrets of Chinese Kempo and all that information after the Kenpo Karate, early stuff, Pre Clyde's birth???
The system of EPAK as we know it today, wasn't it mostly in the 80's.

So what happened between 63 and 83?

Sorry what happened to Mr Farnsworth? Anyone have more knowledge of the mans demise?

Is that the reason you don't like him Dark Lord?
Wisdom from the Buddha, 8 fold path, I think some of it is worthwhile stuff.
Much of SGMs Mon, (crest) comes out of that era.

How about the Yin and Yang, Trigrams, Hexagrams, I Ching, 64,32,16,08,04,02,01,0
pre morse and binary system, old stuff, yea, nay?

Be nice, I am old and fragile, LOL... Seriously, can we have some other input?
:flame:
Regards, Gary

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, getting back to the original topic: I have tapes of Tabatabi, very good. Tatum, very good, Fowler, very good, as well as some other EPAK instructors. For my money, I would have to say the best set of EPAK tapes I have are from an instructor in the Tatum lineage by the name of Tim Bulot. His quick reference tapes for techniques and forms are not only the best produced series I have purchased, but also very informative. The techniques are done at various speeds, and the forms are shown well, but not explained. But then again, they are a quick reference.

Gary Catherman

R

rmcrobertson

Question: who taught Mr. Tabatabai and Mr. Bulot (who by the way, can hit you a ton)?

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rmcrobertson,
Larry Tatum trained both Tabatabi and Bulot.
I have both Bulot and Tatum tapes, and I think the Bulot tapes are better produced, better quality of filming, and although they are quick reference guides and not indepth instruction, are very good. On an aside, I understand that Mr. Bulot was brought in to produce the newer set of Mr. Tatums videos which I have not yet been able to view. My videos are from the old set.
I have never trained with or under Mr. Bulot, but I have worked with some of his blackbelts at seminars and they have all been very good kenpoists and liked to bang.

Gary Catherman

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Should stay on topic.

Now according to Al Tracy of Tracy Kenpo.

He feels the best tapes are Larry Tatums, at least he said so in one of his information topics on his web site.:rolleyes:

I think if he say's that "Tracy", and the others seem to think similar thought's.

When you have got someone, that were taught by him, they then went on to teach and have a good technique, of being able to teach it with a clearer thought and projection and the tape is of good quality, well you have your answer.:idunno:

The best teacher is not always the hardest hitter. It is one who gets the thoughts across the clearest and with less ginger bread. To the one buying the tape. IMO:)

SGM EP This is a quote:
"While Practice locks in our knowledge of basics,
instinct is what makes it Free".

I like that, we should think more in those word and less in the following
of each and every one who has followed, who wants to sell tapes, on the same subject.:idunno:

Basically it is just plagerism.

Regards, Gary

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
I honestly feel the only way to get "better" at Kenpo is to get with a "better" teacher. Videos are good for supplementing your training but in my opinion do little to help you actually make Kenpo work.

I tried to improve with videos myself for about a year and a half but found I was only fooling myself. I found a better teacher and ended up selling all my videos. Well, all except my Ed Parker videos!

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen videos from Mr Tatum, we have the full set at the club, I have seen a couple of tapes from Mr Planas, and I have seen a few tapes from Mr Sasaki.
Bearing this in mind in my limited experience, the only one of the three I wouldn't reccommend is Jodie Sasaki's tapes, just my opinion, but I think he concentrates way too much on crowd pleasing flash.

A

AHinnebusch

Personally, I find Master Tatum's Videos very informative and concise. They have helped allot in my training. Especially when I haven't been able to make it to the studio to practice. What a great tool. I got the Kenpo Flash cd also and in conjunction with the videos and going to the studio I am really getting a solid educational experience. I may be biased but its only because I have had such a great learning experience with the LTKKA.

:)

At your service
Andrew "working hard on that green belt" Hinnebusch

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would have to agree that Mr. Tatum has the best Kenpo videos on the market today. Very informative and the way he performs each technique leaves no question on the how and why. Just my 4 cents. Mr. Planas has great videos for the Kenpo forms also.

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can't speak on the other's (have only seen clips) , but I enjoyed Mr. Cogliandro's Video's.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
out of all of these I've only seen the ones for Mr. Tatum, and even then...I think they were the "older" ones. Pretty well done though, sound was good, video not bad.

Your Brother
John

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I were to buy someones complete series of Kenpo videos just to get "better" at (EPAK) Kenpo, which one should I buy?

I know Mr. Planas' series is supposed to be excellent but it does not contain "how to's" for the Techniques. I know Mr. Tatum has the techniques all available.

I know Mr. Hancock has some tapes that focus on methods of execution and underlying principles.

Notwithstanding what they are specifically teaching, if I were to buy someones series just to make my Kenpo better, whose should I buy?

Who sells The Best set of Kenpo Videos?

Let's try to keep this civil, it could easily get out of hand. If you would like, please post a reason for your vote, mention your experience with the tapes in question and try not to flame anyone. I've purposefully left off a couple of people who I don't think would get any votes anyway, but if please feel free to add someone if I have left them off and you want to reccomend them.

Someone gave me the Larry Tatum Panther dvds, "When kenpo strikes". I think that would be a good starting place. He discusses concepts and ideas and how to perform the basics etc. This is stuff you could implement no matter who your teacher is. If you get the full set, it also includes all of the forms. His S-D techs are sold as a seperate set, and he has a dvd that has just the sets on it.

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Someone gave me the Larry Tatum Panther dvds, "When kenpo strikes". I think that would be a good starting place. He discusses concepts and ideas and how to perform the basics etc. This is stuff you could implement no matter who your teacher is. If you get the full set, it also includes all of the forms. His S-D techs are sold as a seperate set, and he has a dvd that has just the sets on it.

I haven't seen a Kenpo DVD series that isn't chock full of the obviously unrealistic positions,attacks and counters of the nonfunctional variety.I've seen some of Mr.Tatum's works. They're visually impressive but combatively suspect,imho. More than suspect,tbh,imho. Every video clip I've seen shows techs that won't work as presented in the real world. Have you ever seen say Mario Sperry or boxing coaches like Coach Rick show techs that clearly don't work exactly as shown against a specific situation? Sang H. Kim's sparring for taekwondo works exactly as shown. We need our Kenpo Seniors and ourselves to step up and put out real product that really show the real world viability and beauty of Kenpo.

I hope to contribute to such a thing with my own DVD series when it's completed.I'll drop a link here for review as it nears completion.

Latest Discussions