M

MisterMike

Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
i voted OTHER

wonder what the name is ? Here it is

"Elvis and SGM Parker workout video"

i am sure it is a valuable one;) :D

priceless

I'd rather watch the old I Luv Lucy episode with Mr. Parker's cameo.

"Judo Chop!"

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are just sooooo many different ideas out there. One teaches it this way, the other teaches it that way. It can be very disconcerting. For instance, does'nt Mr.Sasaki teach more a Tracy version of the system? As for the Planas, Tatum comparisons,at least as far as the forms go. They are very different. A student picked up Mr.Tatum's tapes to speed up his training inL4. While his instructor trained under Mr.Planas. When it came time to show his instructor what he had learned. He was very disappointed. The two approaches to the same form turned out to be VERY different. So much so that the student felt like he had to start from the begining, and re-learn the form. Students have to be very careful when thinking about buying these tapes to further(see;speed up)their training. The best bet would probably be to run it past their instructor first. Insuring that the kenpo taught on the video will complement what they're learning, and not hinder them.
By His Grace,
:asian:

R

rmcrobertson

Well, Donald, I just wanted to mention that there could of course be many explanations for what you observed, none of which have anything to do with the quality of the tapes.

M

marshallbd

Originally posted by TheEdge883
One of my main goals over the next few years is to put together an extensive kenpo library, which includes everyone on your list, and a few others. Currently, my favorite are the Larry Tatum series.
I am looking for Video's to get to keep my memory fresh on the techniques in between training sessions.
Please give a detailed description as to why the videos you vote for are your choice.....Thanks!

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson,

My post had everything to do with video quality. Is'nt making an informed decision a part of quality control? It can have all the wonderful production bells, and whistles, but if it does'nt ENHANCE ones training it is a waste of ones time.

B.H.G.,
:asian:

R

rmcrobertson

Donald, I'm a bit confused by you last post. Is it that you felt the tapes were badly made, or very well made and uninformative?

I was suggesting, by the way, that the anecdote you mentioned had more to do with the way the instructor had been taught, and with what they expected, than with the tapes--except for the fact that the tapes didn't show what they wanted the student to learn.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
sincerly robert,

I just responded to your post that questioned the direction of my previous post regarding training tape quality.

B.H.G.:asian:

R

rmcrobertson

OK. I still don't understand what you're talking about--I really don't--but OK fine.

S

Steve Howard

Actually, the Sasaki tapes (at least the older Panther tapes) are all EPAK, the techniques are virtually identical to the Tabitabai tapes (although execution is quite different)--not even close to a Tracy varient of kenpo.

M

Mark Weiser

I am currently reveiwing Trevor Haines Five Animal Kenpo Tapes. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Sincerely,
Mark Weiser

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have heard many people say that Larry Tatum has the best series of tapes. I do know that Al Farnsworth has to have the worst set of tapes I have ever seen.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I have heard many people say that Larry Tatum has the best series of tapes. I do know that Al Farnsworth has to have the worst set of tapes I have ever seen.
Yep, Al Farnsworth is dead. Good riddance to bad rubbish, he was a shyster, charlatan, general scumbag, and a waste of skin and oxygen.

DarK LorD

M

Mark Weiser

His school out in Nevada still sells his videos for only $79 claim to have everything you need up to 7th Dan. Included in the package for $79

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Yep, Al Farnsworth is dead. Good riddance to bad rubbish, he was a shyster, charlatan, general scumbag, and a waste of skin and oxygen.

DarK LorD

No need to sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel about the guy.

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:

DarK LorD
You mean dead like no longer breathing on this Earth or dead like someone (who told me he did) went out there and said "You need to quit doing this Kenpo BS you are trying to pass off?"

M

Mark Weiser

He is dead but his school in Nevada is still open being run by his senior student. By the way if you have $79 you can get the entire Kenpo System up to 7th Dan from that school lol!

I gues I am obessed either with the cheap price for the entire system or it is one of the biggest scams in so called Kenpo they practice. I have not made my mind up yet.

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
He is dead but his school in Nevada is still open being run by his senior student. By the way if you have $79 you can get the entire Kenpo System up to 7th Dan from that school lol!

I gues I am obessed either with the cheap price for the entire system or it is one of the biggest scams in so called Kenpo they practice. I have not made my mind up yet.
Wow. How did he die? I know I thought he looked like he deserved to be beaten severely for what it looked like he was trying to sell, but I am guessing he did not die under suspicious circumstances?

I've been trying to shoot my own videos for some time now. Some day I might accomplish it. I don't think there is a market out there so I have to basically find someone to do it with and pay for it all myself. C'est la vie.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Clyde, I have been looking for a post that I thought you might have actually posted.
This is one, LOLROF. I am not so sure if it was your post or Rob Broad that made my side hurt. I love it! God that was good. Thanks for the laugh. (rob also)
Regards, Gary