Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years?

Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years

• Tom Kelly

• Steve LaBounty

• Paul Mills

• Mike Pick

• Huk Planas

• John Sepulveda

• Chuck Sullivan

• Larry Tatum

• Frank Trejo

• Somebody else -- please name in your reply

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am sticking to my original vote of Mr. Mills. However, I am looking for someone that is actually changing (for the better) I personally think that is what Mr. Parker wanted (disclaimer I never met Mr. Parker). I didn't realize it before but Mr. Pick is doing allot of innovate stuff. He is also teaching allot of new stuff one of which is a new combative system under the American Kenpo umbrella where most things end in a Kill shot (and I'm not talking about racquetball either). Sounds interesting but I haven't worked with a anyone from his system. Anyone out there have any experiences with Mr. Pick? They didn't call him the Hammer for nothing?

Thanks
Rick

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fastmover said:
"you really shouldn't shoot your mouth off on subjects you know little about. Clyde on Kenponet" Actually everyone should take his good advice.

LOL ....... but then we wouldn't have any forums!

:uhyeah:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
My vote is for someone not even on the radar yet. Some kid who's just up and coming to get his first big break is going to have a scary-big IQ, and rocket kenpo to the next level with insights and capabilities we haven't seen since...or possibly even before Mr. Parker. Among all these guys, and some seniors not on the list b/c time has claimed their spirits, Parker never named a successor. Presumably, it's because none showed the spark of intellect he was looking for prior to placing the philosophers cpae/hhod (can't remember the exact piece of symbolic clothing). That doesn't mean such an animal didn't exist, it just means he didn't emerge when SGM was still here looking. In myth, messiah figures never emerge from the known priesthood, but manifest from unseen corners breaking onto the scene with undeniable force and impact (Christ, Muhammed, Buddha, figures from greco-roman and hindu myth..up from obscurity, and into the limelight). I think we haven't even heard the name of the most influential figure in kenpo, 10 years from now. He's probably a 13-year old purple belt at an obscure studio somewhere, and his mind is working a mile a minute during and after class. IMHO, and with all due respect to the kenpo giants listed among the options.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
My vote is for someone not even on the radar yet. Some kid who's just up and coming to get his first big break is going to have a scary-big IQ, and rocket kenpo to the next level with insights and capabilities we haven't seen since...or possibly even before Mr. Parker. Among all these guys, and some seniors not on the list b/c time has claimed their spirits, Parker never named a successor. Presumably, it's because none showed the spark of intellect he was looking for prior to placing the philosophers cpae/hhod (can't remember the exact piece of symbolic clothing). That doesn't mean such an animal didn't exist, it just means he didn't emerge when SGM was still here looking. In myth, messiah figures never emerge from the known priesthood, but manifest from unseen corners breaking onto the scene with undeniable force and impact (Christ, Muhammed, Buddha, figures from greco-roman and hindu myth..up from obscurity, and into the limelight). I think we haven't even heard the name of the most influential figure in kenpo, 10 years from now. He's probably a 13-year old purple belt at an obscure studio somewhere, and his mind is working a mile a minute during and after class. IMHO, and with all due respect to the kenpo giants listed among the options.

Though my vote was, and remains, Mr. Mills...
I really respect your vote and the reasons you give.
(Here's to you 13year old purple belt...
girl.) :asian:

Your Brother
John

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Close, she just turned two in January.
Sean :asian:

S

Shiatsu

But nothing like some of the egos of today. Not to mention instead of one big ego, now you have twenty.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We all have an "EGO".
"The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree......" you have named some great people in your poll (probably left out a few), all of which have and will continue to impact kenpo.
".....but the seeds are scattered to the four winds" the seeds that Mr. Parker has scattered are starting to mature all the time and in some unusual places.

Bill Lear said:
Sven,

Even Mr. Parker had an Ego.

-Billy-

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
We all have an "EGO".
"The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree......" you have named some great people in your poll (probably left out a few), all of which have and will continue to impact kenpo.
".....but the seeds are scattered to the four winds" the seeds that Mr. Parker has scattered are starting to mature all the time and in some unusual places.

I think these are all interesting and valid points. It actually highlights my point a little more. Thank you for your input.

-Billy-

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
NO PROBLEM BILLY, ANY TIME.
RICHY

Bill Lear said:
I think these are all interesting and valid points. It actually highlights my point a little more. Thank you for your input.

-Billy-

K

Kenpo Yahoo

Jeff Speakman

That's a name we haven't yet seen in this thread. While I don't know anything about what Speakman is doing these days, I do know that he had a profound influence on kenpo in the early 90's. Many people who didn't know jack about the martial arts were introduced to Kenpo by Speakman's The Perfect Weapon. I know that there were quite a few people who joined my school because of this particular movie, including me.

As I said, I don't know anything about what Speakman is doing. Perhaps you could let us know what he is doing that will create such a strong impact on our art over the next several years.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Parker had a habit of being nice to lost puppies who would follow him home, then capitalize on their association with him. Used to be a joke about "who's next?" I remember when Speakman broke on scene, and kenpo lifers were, like, "who?". My time table is messy from that era of my life, but I remember another stray SGM adopted that kinda flashed in the pan of local consumerism, then vanished. Any body remember "Sir" james Hydrick? Hydrant? Something like that? Liked to break ice a lot and do parlor tricks the Amazing Randi had already debunked from "That's Incredible" years earlier.

Never met Speakman, and here I am flaming the poor guy. Anybody know anything about him, other than his crash course, meteoric rise to fame and glory in Kenpo?

Off to fetch a late lunch and some beer,

Dr. Dave

K

Kenpomachine

He's in the semminar tour, and I believe he has a demo team and gives some demos occasionally. I remember seing them two or three years ago. He wasn't a bad kenpoist, had nice words to everyone and give a demo that didn't impress me. But he wasn't technically bad.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpomachine said:
He's in the semminar tour, and I believe he has a demo team and gives some demos occasionally. I remember seing them two or three years ago. He wasn't a bad kenpoist, had nice words to everyone and give a demo that didn't impress me. But he wasn't technically bad.
Thanks. I was starting to wonder if anyone knew anything about him, aside from his movie appearences. Nice to get a reply.

Dr. Dave

Latest Discussions