Very strange TaeKwonDo instructional roundhouse kick

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm a black belt in Taekwondo and that looks like a poorly executed front snap kick too me. Why is he calling that a roundhouse kick?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Produce the statement.
i don't need to, your just making things up, that much is obvious, you were claiming 4 years of aikido, then dropped the claim when it became clear you had no understanding at all.

now your claiming a black belt in TKD, which will also evaporate when some of the people with black belts in TKD challenge your statements, Then you'll move on to another wild claim to get attention

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i don't need to, your just making things up, that much is obvious, you were claiming 4 years of aikido, then dropped the claim when it became clear you had no understanding at all.

now your claiming a black belt in TKD, which will also evaporate when some of the people with black belts in TKD challenge your statements, Then you'll move on to another wild claim to get attention

I never claimed 4 years of Aikido. You are constantly misrepresenting claims made by me, misremembering past quotes in general, and rendering discussions of any kind impossible. If your memory fails you, which it obviously does, I suggest you reeread my posts until they stick. I'm not here to baby you and correct every single instance of misremembering (you are piling them up).

So I'll leave it at that.

D

Deleted member 39746

I suppose you could call it a round kick, as its not in any other category. But if i remember right (i haven't done TKD in a while) It doesnt look like a round kick to me. And i still do a very bad one based on TKD. I never properly learnt it and forgot it.

and i dont think it looks like how people do them either.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I suppose you could call it a round kick, as its not in any other category. But if i remember right (i haven't done TKD in a while) It doesnt look like a round kick to me. And i still do a very bad one based on TKD. I never properly learnt it and forgot it.

and i dont think it looks like how people do them either.

Even as a sport kick it looks totally wrong. Functional or not, I would not call that a round kick. I stand by by my original assertion that it's a misguided front kick.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even as a sport kick it looks totally wrong. Functional or not, I would not call that a round kick. I stand by by my original assertion that it's a misguided front kick.
You sure have a lot to say about every single system out there. You've made Big claims About hapkido, aikido, bjj, wrestling and now taekwondo. I wonder how many of these things you've ever actually trained in

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh don't forget he can do hip throws with 0 training on how to do them

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It will make my day if a TaeKwondo instructor worth his salt approves of that as a roundhouse kick.

D

Deleted member 39746

Fair enough. watching it again, i can see how it can be called one. I can see a chamber for a kick and then the turn.

Also, unless turning kick and round are synonymous. They are different kicks, and just watching it as i was writing this, and literally as i got to that bit he says turning and round are different kicks.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
and literally as i got to that bit he says turning and round are different kicks.

I'm familiar with various modern-day TKDoin inventing distinctions between the two (no support for a distinction historically, turning kicks were synonymous to roundhouse kicks and that was that).

There is nothing round about it first of all, he is kicking straight up in the air.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dollyo chagi IS the turning kick first of all. They are synonymous terms.

The second kick he demonstrates, which is correctly executed, is a turning kick/dolyo chagi.

First one is not a turning kick. I don't know what to call it but it's not that.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And i still do a very bad one based on TKD. I never properly learnt it and forgot it.

Once you get the proper hip positioning the rest flows naturally and it will turn (no pund intended) into a dollyo chagi. But it's tricky. If you don't get the hip properly adjusted, it will never amount to a roundhouse kick, which I suspect was your short-coming.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's a snapshot of mine. Most people are not in this body configuration in their life, ever.

_20191202_191814.JPG

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The second kick he demonstrates, which is correctly executed, is a turning kick/dolyo chagi.

First one is not a turning kick. I don't know what to call it but it's not that.

It does turn though. It is just a really short turn.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It does turn though. It is just a really short turn.

He says exhibit A is the turning kick, exhibit B is a dollyeo chagi.

Turrning kick is the english translation used for dollyeo chagi in TaeKwonDo:

Roundhouse Kick (also called a Round Kick, Turning Kick, or 돌려 차기 dollyeo chagi

:)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will make my day if a TaeKwondo instructor worth his salt approves of that as a roundhouse kick.

I have trained TKD for roughly 50 years. I have rank from the KKW, the ITF, and the Moo Duk Kwan. He appears to be a 1st Dan in an ITF branch.
I approve of his kick.
Your snapshot is blurry and doesn't show your entire body, but from what I can make out, you're leaning waaaayyyyy too far for a kick that appears to be no more than waist high. Your foot position looks off too. I'd say your technique looks about like what I expect from one of our green belts. Again, it's a crappy snapshot, and obviously a focused video would allow us to better rate your kick.
Even a snapshot like this, that shows the entire body and is reasonably clear would help. This is one of our students, a 1st Dan, executing a roundhouse. He's leaning as far as you are, but his kick is head high.
02B.JPG

The turning kick as taught by ITF schools is not the same as the roundhouse as taught by KKW schools. The angled version is used primarily for lower kicks. It is faster, and can slip between the guard and the ribs at times when a kick coming in parallel to the ground will only hit their guard.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have trained TKD for roughly 50 years. I have rank from the KKW, the ITF, and the Moo Duk Kwan. He appears to be a 1st Dan in an ITF branch.
I approve of his kick.
Your snapshot is blurry and doesn't show your entire body, but from what I can make out, you're leaning waaaayyyyy too far for a kick that appears to be no more than waist high. Your foot position looks off too. I'd say your technique looks about like what I expect from one of our green belts. Again, it's a crappy snapshot, and obviously a focused video would allow us to better rate your kick.
Even a snapshot like this, that shows the entire body and is reasonably clear would help. This is one of our students, a 1st Dan, executing a roundhouse. He's leaning as far as you are, but his kick is head high.
View attachment 22585

The turning kick as taught by ITF schools is not the same as the roundhouse as taught by KKW schools. The angled version is used primarily for lower kicks. It is faster, and can slip between the guard and the ribs at times when a kick coming in parallel to the ground will only hit their guard.

My instructor leans more than I do.

I can kick head height too....
_20191203_023532.JPG

Latest Discussions