wtf tkd

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by Porong, Dec 1, 2019 at 8:17 PM.

1. Porong

Porong Yellow Belt

will learning wtf tkd be practical for self defense?

2. kempodisciple

kempodisciple MT Moderator Staff Member

Going to try to nip this in the bud so other answers can focus on your question. There is no longer an organization called WTF-they shortened it to WT.

And they are not a form of TKD, they are a sports organization that works in tandem with kukkiwon style TKD, so your question should be "is kukkiwon style TKD practical for self defense?"

As for an actual answer, I don't train any TKD, so can't tell you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Porong

Porong Yellow Belt

thank you for your response I did not know that. and I will look forward to future answers.

4. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Thanks for getting that out of the way @kempodisciple.

To the OP, can you give us more detail? Are you already at a Kukki/WT school? If so, can you give an example of some of your classes? Do you have any other Martial Arts background?
    The short answer is a school that trains Only WT or Olympic style sparring and forms will have holes and is not strong in teaching purely self defense. That said, the exercise and more importantly the type of exercise you would get at this style of school has many advantages such as strength, endurance, and conditioning. Yes, it is a lot of sparring but to be really effective under most conditions it takes years of training and there are definite individual qualities (such as flexibility) that make it work better for some than others.
    I own and have taught at WT/Kukki schools for a long time. Many of them are more wholistic and are excellent at teaching a full compliment of skills. I would urge you to audit a school to find out. If you have zero MA experience this may difficult. A strong indicator would be if ALL they talk about is training for competition.
    Keep in touch and give us more info wo we can better answer your question.

5. Rat

Rat 2nd Black Belt

Damn spoilsports too, i loved that acronym.

Main issue i know is no face punching. I would say try ITF based ones. Because they do a lot of sparring, have a similar sports component and allows face punching. All though, different rules and some would probably be bad for fighting, at least you aren't building yourself to not defend your face. 9which everyone hits and targets first)

6. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Blue Belt

It's pretty silly to think that the particular style of TaeKwonDo would have anything to do with it. You are not going to have a sparring type situation on the street. It's a strike and get out of there and this can be delivered regardless of TKD style.

7. Rat

Rat 2nd Black Belt

its more about installing habits. You don't know what bad habit you are installing by doing what ever rules are in the sport. Granted i have seen a type of fight, where it resembles milling/karate sport fighting. just witch face punches and blocks and evasions. The two people just stand there and essentially box each other, then move out of range, then move back in and do it again. didn't mean for that to come out as all fights are like that if it did.

But back to the point, if you install yourself to stop when you get hit in the face and dont learn defences to fists to it, it takes a worse situation and makes it worse. Presuming if you are punched from ambush,the ambush is the least of your trouble as you stand little hope in fighting them off. (again didn't mean to come out as extreme) the best analogy i can think of is, not teaching soldiers to break out of a ambush as if its done right they stand little chance of getting out, that would be reduced to none if they didn't learn how to recognize and break out of it. which you need to do very quickly and institutionally or it generally ends badly.

8. spawn2031

spawn2031 Yellow Belt

I study both TKD and Kenpo and, in my humble opinion, most TKD is not very usable in the street due the fact that TKDs primary weapon is kicking and most fights I've been in and seen dont happen at that range. The combatants are not trained so they come in as fast as they can with their fists or they try to rush which gets them inside kicking range. Personally I love TKD for the conditioning and workout and I took it b/c Kenpo is the exact opposite so I figured the 2 would work great together. Of course even with that said, I'm sure it all comes down to the school and instructors as there's no reason a TKD student couldn't be taught to not only rely on his/her kicks and learn to be effective with their upper body too. Just most examples I have been exposed to dont seem to utilize it much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Very sensible because when I read the title of this thread I said to myself WTF.