? for taekwondo people

OP
X

XxTKDPenguinxX

I'd have to say a Jump reverse side kick. Its awesome and when your oponant thinks they have you on the run, POW.. jump and nail'em in thechest. They stop cold and worry about your next move.

Twist kicks are cool when you have'em in a closed position and ya twist kick'em in the back of the head. They never see it coming. (Add a jump twist kick if they're a lot taller than you!)

OP
B

bluespacething

I think my favorite kick right now is a 360 degree circulating kick (right leg). It's fun going up and down the gym just doing this kick...but you sure do get awfully dizzy after about 7 of em ;)

(I guess most people know this as a spinning crescent kick if you're wondering)

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

My favorites:

Counter Kick: jump spin sidekick, front-leg hook kick

Offensive Kick: double roundhouse (you guys might call it something different, but its a roundhouse kick thrown left/right or right/left off a jump) with spinning side or heel kick combo.

OP
X

XxTKDPenguinxX

bignick said:
Not really a tkd kick, but I've had the oppurtunity to train with some great exponents of other styles and my jujitsu instructor has also been practicing an old style of karate for a long time and he hit me with a "reverse roundhouse"...i've seen a lot of kicks...but this thing just came out of nowhere and i had no idea what just hit me...how it works is this...for regular right roundhouse you have your knee parrallel to the ground and with your knee pointing towards the direction your facing (left)...but this way your standing almost head on to the opponent and your knee points to the right and your leg is still parrallel to the ground...your kick out just like with a regular roundhouse...just in the opposite direction...this takes really flexible hips...and i can't really do it...but it was just silly how easily that kick confused me..it started out looking like a front kick, then when his knee i thought it was a side kick, then it started looking like knifefoot, and finally it hit me and i asked what the heck was that!...anyways...just thought i'd share a fun story
This sounds like what we call a "twist kick." It is cool! Hard to even see it coming at all.
We use a reverse round kick, but what we do is: sparring stance (let's just use with left foot forward) and you spin to the back.. this will cause the other to think that your back leg is coming around to hit with a heel kick, or some other spinning kick. Guess what? It's not, of course...
..Keep leg chambered back until you have turned a 180... point that knee at your targer... POW! Throw out a round kick.
I will almost bet that, if done correctly (practice a lot on a heavy bag), they will move their hands to block or step to one side to move completely. Do this in the "open position." meaning that both of you are facing the same direction. This way when the arms move, you'll have a shot for the gut (gut or chest for speed).

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i have recently developed a small obsession with the back kick...i just love the power i get out of it

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
XxTKDPenguinxX said:
This sounds like what we call a "twist kick." It is cool! Hard to even see it coming at all.
We use a reverse round kick, but what we do is: sparring stance (let's just use with left foot forward) and you spin to the back.. this will cause the other to think that your back leg is coming around to hit with a heel kick, or some other spinning kick. Guess what? It's not, of course...
..Keep leg chambered back until you have turned a 180... point that knee at your targer... POW! Throw out a round kick.
I will almost bet that, if done correctly (practice a lot on a heavy bag), they will move their hands to block or step to one side to move completely. Do this in the "open position." meaning that both of you are facing the same direction. This way when the arms move, you'll have a shot for the gut (gut or chest for speed).

That's a 360° round kick. turn to the back, chamber and round kick. That is the first kick learned before the tornado round kick, same direction.

His twist is on the inside like an inside crescent. Back right leg comes up to the left leg(in front) crosses over and the knee is chambered, knee points to target right, and strikes inward, ball of the foot or instep. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reverse turning kick can be fun. Nearly lock out the rear leg, raise it to about hip level then get those hips around so your heel's rocketing at the target. Lotsa mass behind that one.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
360° round kick or reverse "turning" kick is same thing. We draw the knee up close to our body and use the snap out with the instep as the strike surface. (As opposed to a big swing arc around which your opponent can see coming a mile away.) Yes it is a powerful kick. And we can recover very easy from this afterward and go back to original position by the same way draw in and turn. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
TW, I'm somewhat confused by that description just because I can't visualize substituting a instep strike for a heel without doing a completely different kick. Sounds almost like a reverse verticle kick. If what I described is chambered, it pretty much turns into a reverse hook as I'm imagining it...

That aside, no question it's a slow kick. It is powerful though, and when it's somewhat buried in a combination, it's harder to tell when it's coming out. (Especially since the startup's hidden behind the back.) I've seen it employed with some success during in class sparring, so I won't discount it out of hand.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
360 round kick is turning toward your back, quick small step back, pivot, and the front foot comes around, close, chambers, and round kicks using the instep.

Oh, after re-reading it , your reverse turning kick must be a spin hook/heel. We have some people doing that with a lockout, pickup your leg, hold it out there and spin it around, hit with heel. Yes, it hits with power because of alot of people who can't get the inside technique--kick back, hook, and snap--will use that one to break with. Trouble is when you have to do that kick--the wheel kick-- with a board dropping, it becomes not fast enough. Which is the point, in a match, you not only don't want the opponent to see your leg going around but it also has to be fast enough to be "there".

Its confusing because we were discussing the twist kick and the 360 round kick. Penguin called it a twist kick, but it is our 360° round, really a basic kick hits with instep.

Terminology is getting to me----:erg: TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, the kick's merits are likely to shift slightly depending on the sparring ruleset you're using. With punching to the face etc potentially distracting someone, (especially with punching being way faster than kicking regardless) they can have a hard time reading exactly what you're doing with your legs at the same time. Couple that with a greater emphasis on blocking vs evasion, and its utility increases. It's not ideal in a lot of situations, but it's still one more tool in the toolbox that can be successfully employed depending on the situation.

You're right though, even my instructors who practice the reverse turning, and have been for 20+ years have said on several occaisions that the reverse hook is a much higher percentage kick, and it can deliver impressive power too etc. OTOH, they're not willing to throw it (the reverse turning) out for no better reason than they use it and teach it because they make use of it in more situations than breaking alone. Kinda the old "if it ain't broke..." situation.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My favorite flashy kick is the spinning hook kick, especially now I see my flexibility improve. My favorite non flashy is your basic front kick or crescent kicks- they're the only ones I can get good form with, and still be high. My side kick and roundhouses are a bit unpredictable- sometimes I can kick high and still have my toes pointed properly, but not always.

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmm... this is a tough question for me.
For sparring my favorite single kick would probably be a vertical kick (I am pretty vicious with this kick), also for sparring I like: axe kick, side kick, back kick, tornado kick, jump back kick.
My most difficult kick I can do (which I usually use in compitition board breaking) is the jump scissor kick.

- Hwoarang_tkd26

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hwoarang_tkd26 said:
Hmm... this is a tough question for me.
For sparring my favorite single kick would probably be a vertical kick (I am pretty vicious with this kick), also for sparring I like: axe kick, side kick, back kick, tornado kick, jump back kick.
My most difficult kick I can do (which I usually use in compitition board breaking) is the jump scissor kick.

- Hwoarang_tkd26

What's a vertical kick? Is that a front kick or jump front that goes to head level? Can you describe it? Do you do the jump scissor like a front split at the end so you are breaking a board at each end, one in front of you and one in back? Or is it a front or side scissor that doesn't open up much? TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Verticle kick came up in another thread not too long ago IIRC. Basically it's a crescent kick sans arc, and it hits with either footsword or reverse footsword.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Verticle kick came up in another thread not too long ago IIRC. Basically it's a crescent kick sans arc, and it hits with either footsword or reverse footsword.

Whats the target with striking with the edge of the foot straight up--the underside of the neck or chin? TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The target's ideally facing 90 degrees from you, so for example, if you're kicking them in the sternum, solar plexus, shoulder (it can dislocate a shoulder with the proper upward vector) etc with a reverse foot sword, your toes would be pointing straight up (hence the term verticle I guess) and you'd be smacking them with the bone on the inside of your foot that's near your heel. (It travels out to in, so you'd chamber outside, and lever it across using mainly your hips as the motive force) The footsword version travels inside to out, and has similar targets. Straight on, you can still catch them in the ribs, neck, the temple etc.

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
What's a vertical kick? Is that a front kick or jump front that goes to head level? Can you describe it? Do you do the jump scissor like a front split at the end so you are breaking a board at each end, one in front of you and one in back? Or is it a front or side scissor that doesn't open up much? TW
ok to describe a scissor kick, you usually get a running start, and when you decide to jump you chamber the none jumping leg for a side kick (off to the side not striaght forward), and at the very point you leave the ground you chamber (it's more of a tuck) your jumping leg for a twist kick or vertical (there is a very small difference between the two, but either will work) then execute both legs doing two different kicks at the same time, then pull back in after both have extanded fully for landing.
I hope I described it well enough for everyone to understand, there are several ways of doing a scissor kick, this is just how I do it. ( any ?, just ask)
I guess there are not very many people who know about the scissor kick, my instructor is a 5th dan and he said he had never known the kick even existed until he was a 2nd dan. (I just thought you all might find that interesting)
Vertical kick= Marginal described it perfectly
Marginal said:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scissor kick's probably pretty common, just has a different term for it from one style to the next. Looking it up in the Encyclopedia that Gen Choi compiled, it's listed, but it's a takedown rather than a two direction kick. The one you described is simply called "flying side-twisting kick" by the same reference source.

Quirky how terminology overlaps then diverges at the drop of a hat at times...

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Ok, I think I should just explain how I do it.
Ok think of your self doing an outer cresant kick (prefurably off the back leg), but instead of completing the motion after hitting your target you stop and pull it back in the same way it came.
If you are familliar with the twist kick or at least this is what my school calls it for that particualar kick, it is almost the same as a virtical, exept with a twist kick you hit with the same part of your foot that you would with a snap kick, opposed to a vertical kick you hit with the outer edge of your foot like you would with a outer cresant.
I hope that helps to clarify.

- hwoarang_tkd26

Latest Discussions