Use of Force Law

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If some random person on the street asked you if you want to play strip poker how would you react?
If a member of the opposite sex came upto me in the street and asked me that, and then I told you I hit her in the windpipe and told her to stop beign sexist, would you find that as equally acceptable for me to do as you find it for the girl in the scene to do?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So lets say its some random guy on the street who asks.

Is he sober, clean minded, religious, moral?

If so I would say no, I want to have fun not be preached at. I want Deadpool.

Really, stop being prudish, you need to be around squaddies lol, they'll ask if you (honestly) want a shag, take no for an answer and work on the basis that if you don't ask you don't get. I'm not easily offended and depending on who asked me and what else I had to do would give my answer pleasantly, it might be yes or no, but no violence involved.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No offense intended, all in good fun - but I'll back you, bro. All the way.

original-619c0a0bf8b4bc07d81a6b32068f9217.jpeg

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

Really, stop being prudish, you need to be around squaddies lol, they'll ask if you (honestly) want a shag, take no for an answer and work on the basis that if you don't ask you don't get. I'm not easily offended and depending on who asked me and what else I had to do would give my answer pleasantly, it might be yes or no, but no violence involved.
Exactly. I mean hell half of the reason for the bar scene as a 20 something was to try and go home with someone. The trick is when they say "no thanks" move onto another topic...or slink away and finish your beer. Even then it can iffy. Such as, if I hit on a girl back then and she said "I should slap you" listen to her tone and read her body language. Maybe the proper response is to whisper "only when I'm tied up" lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If a member of the opposite sex came upto me in the street and asked me that, and then I told you I hit her in the windpipe and told her to stop beign sexist, would you find that as equally acceptable for me to do as you find it for the girl in the scene to do?

Well from what I know usually you're allowed to use a greater level of force against a male perpetrator than against a female perpetrator. Now I know that making lewd comments, as inappropriate as it is, does not warrant the use of physical force regardless of the gender of the person doing it and the video was a bit of an exaggeration. As Juany118 pointed out that when dealing with verbal harassment, including sexual verbal harassment, you cannot use physical force. And as I pointed out in a later post using physical force in response to any kind of sexual harassment that involves touching or groping, I would hope it would be acceptable from a legal standpoint, and contrary to what Buka assumes I am not talking about deadly physical force.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well if I was to ask some random woman on the street if she wanted to play strip poker I would think at the very least she would be offended and I wouldn't be surprised if she ran to the nearest police officer. Not that I would ask a random woman to play strip poker in the first place.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well from what I know usually you're allowed to use a greater level of force against a male perpetrator than against a female perpetrator. Now I know that making lewd comments, as inappropriate as it is, does not warrant the use of physical force regardless of the gender of the person doing it and the video was a bit of an exaggeration. As Juany118 pointed out that when dealing with verbal harassment, including sexual verbal harassment, you cannot use physical force. And as I pointed out in a later post using physical force in response to any kind of sexual harassment that involves touching or groping, I would hope it would be acceptable from a legal standpoint, and contrary to what Buka assumes I am not talking about deadly physical force.

You are wrong, the law applies to everyone and should be enforced as such. 'Lewd' comments are a matter of opinion, as you obviously find strip poker lewd where many of us don't.

Well if I was to ask some random woman on the street if she wanted to play strip poker I would think at the very least she would be offended and I wouldn't be surprised if she ran to the nearest police officer. Not that I would ask a random woman to play strip poker in the first place.

Being offended isn't something one can 'run to a police officer' about, do you think women are so feeble that if they don't like what you said they won't tell you to Foxtrot Oscar off? Really, we aren't living in a 1950s Doris Day film, you say something to a woman she doesn't like and you will either be ignored or told where to go. You really need to get out more...and find someone to play strip poker with.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are wrong, the law applies to everyone and should be enforced as such. 'Lewd' comments are a matter of opinion, as you obviously find strip poker lewd where many of us don't.

Just what am I wrong about? I never said the law doesn't apply to everyone.

Being offended isn't something one can 'run to a police officer' about, do you think women are so feeble that if they don't like what you said they won't tell you to Foxtrot Oscar off?

Sure she might, but that's not to say that she might also go to the police.

Really, we aren't living in a 1950s Doris Day film, you say something to a woman she doesn't like and you will either be ignored or told where to go. You really need to get out more...and find someone to play strip poker with.

Where Im from sexual harassment is taken very seriously and it can involve stuff such as "accidentally" rubbing against somebody the wrong way or saying the wrong thing. Saying something a woman doesn't like is one thing but saying something a woman doesn't like that's sexually provocative such as strip poker can get you in trouble, at least here it can.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where Im from sexual harassment is taken very seriously and it can involve stuff such as "accidentally" rubbing against somebody the wrong way or saying the wrong thing. Saying something a woman doesn't like is one thing but saying something a woman doesn't like that's sexually provocative such as strip poker can get you in trouble, at least here it can.

If strip poker counts as 'sexually provocative' then you are living in the most boring place on earth.

Just what am I wrong about? I never said the law doesn't apply to everyone.

You did.
Well from what I know usually you're allowed to use a greater level of force against a male perpetrator than against a female perpetrator

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well from what I know usually you're allowed to use a greater level of force against a male perpetrator than against a female perpetrator.

False. The use of force is determined by the force one is confronted with...not sex, age etc.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If strip poker counts as 'sexually provocative' then you are living in the most boring place on earth.
If drawing cards to see who takes their clothes off isn't provocative than I don't know what is.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
False. The use of force is determined by the force one is confronted with...not sex, age etc.

And usually a man is going to confront you with a greater level of force than a woman or child. In most cases they will certainly be capable of a greater level of force.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If drawing cards to see who takes their clothes off isn't provocative than I don't know what is.

Good grief that's not how you play it, no wonder your town is repressed.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
And usually a man is going to confront you with a greater level of force than a woman or child. In most cases they will certainly be capable of a greater level of force.

That isn't what you said and it is, again, a false assumption. The level of force you may confront is defined by size, training and intent. Making the assumption "usually a man..." is going to get you hurt and really seems to simply be a continuation of you trying to justify what has been an endless string of false assumptions and statements regarding use of force.

Example How do you define child? there are some HUGE 16 year olds on HS football teams.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That isn't what you said and it is, again, a false assumption. The level of force you may confront is defined by size, training and intent. Making the assumption "usually a man..." is going to get you hurt and really seems to simply be a continuation of you trying to justify what has been an endless string of false assumptions and statements regarding use of force.

Example How do you define child? there are some HUGE 16 year olds on HS football teams.

I'm glad you wrote that as I really can't be arsed to write anymore explanations of why he is wrong...again.

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gah, I close my eyes for 5 minutes and I miss this gem of a discussion ;)

Just my 2 cents (English Law.) on self defence. (Skipping all the fluff on morality & sexism). For Self defence to be raised in court and succeed you Have to have been brought to court under some charge (anything from scaring the Victim to Murder) and have to have acted with 'reasonable force' in comparison to the force applied to you.

If you ever want to know if you'd go to jail for some form of self defence, just ask 12 random people on the street (ie: a jury) whether they believe your hypothetical actions of self defence were excessive or not.

Ie;if someone yells at you and you pull a gun on them you're going to jail.

Also 'Good Lawyers' (even 'Great Lawyers!') don't guarantee you a get out of jail free card, that's not their job. Their job is to know & interpret the law to find a the most honest and best solution for your actions.
You are responsible for your own actions, safety and the level of harm you deal to other people.

PS: Each to their own on morality and strip poker I guess, personally I'm game if anyone fancies a go? ;) (JK)

PSS: Self defence does apply when defending other people as well.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The clue is in the word 'poker' as in playing poker.

Yes and in the "strip poker" version, the clue is in the word 'strip', every round whoever loses removes an article of clothing. At least that's how they play strip poker around here.

Latest Discussions