On Hitting First

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. Just my opinion. I have a background in law enforcement, but I am not a cop either and have not been one for a very long time.

An old saying in karate is that there is no first strike in karate. Many people interpret this in many ways, but some people believe it means you have to wait to be attacked before you can respond. That's not how I interpret it.

I actually follow the laws of self-defense of most US states, including Michigan, where I live. Typically, the laws of self-defense have nothing to say about who hits first. The law doesn't care. The law also doesn't care if you have martial arts training or not.

Many of us who were raised in the USA may have had certain 'rules' instilled in us by our parents or by society.

1) Don't hit first.
2) If you have to fight, fight fair.

What that typically means is that as kids, we are expected not to initiate a fight, but if we have to fight, we don't pull hair, kick in the testicles, bite, pick up weapons, etc, etc. We are expected to square off, punch punch, maybe bloody up a nose or lip, shake hands, and move on. Hey, nice morals, I'm all for it!

But that's not self-defense. That's schoolyard fighting. Very different in most circumstances.

So what is self-defense and when can you do it?

Self-defense laws in western nations commonly descend from Roman Law, which during the time of Justinian were "vim vi repellere licet," meaning 'it is permitted to repel force with force'.

So, do you have to wait for an aggressor to swing on you before you can defend yourself?

Normally, no.

In most jurisdictions in the US (and perhaps in many other nations), the threat of force is itself force.

In other words, if a person cocks their fist at me, they have threatened me. That's unlawful and therefore I have the right to defend myself with actual force. They didn't necessarily swing that fist at me - but they have indeed already broken the law by threatening to use unlawful force on me.

There is more to it than just that, though. In addition to presenting a threat of unlawful violence, in most US jurisdictions, it must be such that a so-called reasonable and prudent person would believe the person was capable of making good on their threat.

Here are some examples:

1) Bad guy cocks a fist at me and says he is going to punch me out. But he's in a wheelchair and 50 feet away from me. Could he reasonably make good on his threat? Probably not. In that case, I'm not justified in running over to him and punching his lights out.

2) Bad guy tells me he is going to punch my lights out and he's all up in my face. Angry face, shouted words, clenched fists, etc. Can he reasonably make good on his threat? Yes. Am I justified in kicking his gonads up around his tonsils? Yes, in most jurisdictions. I don't have to wait for him to swing on me; in fact, it would be stupid of me to do so.

Now, keep in mind that the law does not care what his actual intent is. The law cares about what the mythical 'reasonable and prudent' person would THINK his intent was.

That also means that I do not get to decide that some random stranger represents a threat to me and punch him out for no reason. It's not MY judgment that the law cares about, it's the judgment of the so-called 'reasonable and prudent' person. It would NOT be 'reasonable and prudent' to believe that some guy walking past me who gives me a dirty look or calls me a name represents an actual threat to me.

So, once we start defending ourselves, when do we have to stop? Presuming we can defeat the bad guy, what's the place where the law tells us we have stop hitting them?

There are no black-and-white rules about that in most cases. Typically the courts have ruled that you have to stop when the threat stops - in some cases, when you perceive the threat to have stopped.

What about what kind of force you can use to defend yourself? Same thing, there are no black-and-white rules. Typically, you have to use only that type of force that a reasonable person would feel was appropriate. Does that mean you can use a machine gun on a guy who trips you? Probably not. However, if you happen to be a black belt in a martial art and you use your skills on a guy who tried to punch you out, will you be held liable for using unjustified force? Probably not.

The Michigan Supreme Court has said “a person in a state of excitement cannot be expected to make fine distinctions as to the extent of injuries likely to be inflicted and, thus, the amount of force needed for self-defense”

In other words, if you have the legal right to defend yourself in the first place, you are allowed to get to it, and immediately. When to stop and how much force to use is generally left up to the person defending themselves, so long as their beliefs are justified.

Also please note that most jurisdictions say nothing - NOTHING - about a person's status as a martial artist. In the eyes of the law, your training has no bearing on your right to self-defense or your ability to apply force to defend yourself. You are NOT expected to 'hold yourself to a higher standard' or 'warn the aggressor before using your martial arts training,' etc. Those are myths. IF you choose to do it, great, good for you. But the law requires no such thing.

Bottom line - self-defense law is really not that difficult to grasp. It may seem that way to people who want to make it seem complicated or unfair. It's not.

If a reasonable and prudent person (see many only definitions of what that means) believes that they are in imminent danger of being unlawfully attacked, they may defend themselves from that attack.

Even if there was no actual attack intended - if a reasonable and prudent person would have believed it was going to happen, it is still legal to defend against it.

Even if you're a eleventy-dozen degree black belt who knows six different styles of dim mak and can rip out human hearts - you are still allowed to defend yourself.

You don't have to register your hands and feet as deadly weapons with the police. You don't have to warn an attacker that you know Kung Fu, Karate, or Ho Chi Minh. You don't have to restrain yourself from using your 'full powers' to defend yourself from attack.

You do not have to avoid kicking them in the snarglies, biting, hair-pulling, tripping, throwing, or whatever else your devious little mind can come up with. If it's really self-defense we're talking about, all options are available.

Some states - not many - impose a duty to retreat before one can defend oneself. In other words, if you can run away, you must do so according to the law. Frankly, I am too old, too fat, and my knees are bad; I would not be able to outrun some young punk intent on cleaning my clock. So even if the law required it, that option isn't mine to take.

I recommend that people learn about the laws of self-defense where they live. It's usually not much more difficult than a simple Google search.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How does that play out for you in court?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How about "challenge fight" since most of the challenge fights don't involve with law?

- Someone challenges you,
- you accept the challenge,
- you jump in,
- one punch to your opponent's face,
- your opponent is down,
- the fight is over.

Self-defense doesn't address this area very well.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's pretty much "game on" in the state of Georgia we have a "Stand your ground law" and one city where near where I live made it a law that every house owner must own a gun. I pretty much walk around assuming that most people have guns or some kind of concealed weapon. The statistics for 2015 concealed weapon's permit for Georgia was 600,000 permits. I'm already mentally at the point that if have to fight then I need to be brutal simply because the person may have a weapon near by. In my mind I'm already at a disadvantage because I don't carry.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about "challenge fight" since most of the challenge fights don't involve with law?

- you jump in,
- your opponent is down,
- the fight is over.

It is not self defence. There is more than on legal use of force.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

- you jump in,
- your opponent is down,
- the fight is over.

That's because mutual combat isn't self defense, although it can result in that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

- you jump in,
- your opponent is down,
- the fight is over.

Depends on if your locale has a "mutual combat" statute. Here, if you say any of the myriad variations on "I dare you" then I can give you a smack. Legally.

On the other hand, other than Hollywood movies and cases where the party being punched is a colossal wuss, very few fights are really ended with one punch.
Not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying if your strategy revolves around that concept, you're likely to be disappointed.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying if your strategy revolves around that concept, you're likely to be disappointed.
Back in 1973, a Chinese guy in Taiwan name Li Ming-Shin who claimed that he could throw 7 punches within 1 second. He also had spinning kicks as pretty as Bruce Lee had. When he arrived NYC, US, an American guy who trained tiger claw in NYC challenged him. In that public match, the tiger claw guy threw only one punch on his opponent's face and knock his opponent down/out within 8 seconds. It was on almost all MA magazines that month. Don't know if anybody still remember it.

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another factor to consider is how an assault/battery is charged and viewed in some courts.

If your local agency is like most, unless it is REALLY clear cut with witnesses who all agree with your version, there is a good chance that both parties will be arrested. Depending on local ordinances, it could be "Assault and Battery" (state statute) or something like a "Disorderly by Fighting" (local/city ordinance). Some jurisdictions, will not charge based on "mutual combat" if there are no injuries, or they may charge both parties.

If you are criminally charged, and want to spend the money to fight it (one reason why many times it is charged with the local ordinance, small fine and no jail and cheaper to say your guilty of causing a disruption by fighting in public). It will go before the jury, and then your claim of "self-defense" will be read as a jury instruction to the jury to consider the factors of the case to see if it meets the elements. Self-Defense, is kind of an "affirmative defense" meaning that you agree that the actions you took would normally be a crime (in this case, using force on another person), but that because of the circumstances it is allowable. The jury will now decide if what you did was reasonable and necessary to protect yourself.

But, as I said before. It will depend on your local jurisdiction and how they handle cases like that on how/if it will be charged.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in 1973, a Chinese guy in Taiwan name Li Ming-Shin who claimed that he could throw 7 punches within 1 second. He also had spinning kicks as pretty as Bruce Lee had. When he arrived NYC, US, an American guy who trained tiger claw in NYC challenged him. In that public match, the tiger claw guy threw only one punch on his opponent's face and knock his opponent down/out within 8 seconds. It was on almost all MA magazines that month. Don't know if anybody still remember it.

OK, sure. Now compare that to the thousands upon thousands of fights that did not end after one punch to the face.
As I said, if your strategy revolves around the notion of a one punch knockout, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

- you jump in,
- your opponent is down,
- the fight is over.

If you are fighting in public here you can be arrested for affray/public nuisance/anti social behaviour/ disturbing the peace in any combination. Basically it's very stupid to accept challenges.

If you are fighting in a competition then it's mutually agreed violence, quite legal.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another factor to consider is how an assault/battery is charged and viewed in some courts.

If your local agency is like most, unless it is REALLY clear cut with witnesses who all agree with your version, there is a good chance that both parties will be arrested. Depending on local ordinances, it could be "Assault and Battery" (state statute) or something like a "Disorderly by Fighting" (local/city ordinance). Some jurisdictions, will not charge based on "mutual combat" if there are no injuries, or they may charge both parties.

If you are criminally charged, and want to spend the money to fight it (one reason why many times it is charged with the local ordinance, small fine and no jail and cheaper to say your guilty of causing a disruption by fighting in public). It will go before the jury, and then your claim of "self-defense" will be read as a jury instruction to the jury to consider the factors of the case to see if it meets the elements. Self-Defense, is kind of an "affirmative defense" meaning that you agree that the actions you took would normally be a crime (in this case, using force on another person), but that because of the circumstances it is allowable. The jury will now decide if what you did was reasonable and necessary to protect yourself.

But, as I said before. It will depend on your local jurisdiction and how they handle cases like that on how/if it will be charged.

Agreed.

That is one of the reasons I stated that the person applying self-defense should make it very clear and state loudly for the benefit of witnesses that they do NOT want to fight, they JUST WANT TO LEAVE, and so on. I would raise my hands in a non-threatening position, say "Dude, I don't want to fight, please leave me alone, I'm going to leave now, please don't hit me," etc. If he twitches, I destroy him. But I make it VERY clear that he is the aggressor, even if I hit first.

Now, getting people to fess up to the cops that you did all this can be another matter entirely. But I will at least go through the motions and make them loud and obvious that I am trying NOT to fight.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Agreed.

That is one of the reasons I stated that the person applying self-defense should make it very clear and state loudly for the benefit of witnesses that they do NOT want to fight, they JUST WANT TO LEAVE, and so on. I would raise my hands in a non-threatening position, say "Dude, I don't want to fight, please leave me alone, I'm going to leave now, please don't hit me," etc. If he twitches, I destroy him. But I make it VERY clear that he is the aggressor, even if I hit first.

Now, getting people to fess up to the cops that you did all this can be another matter entirely. But I will at least go through the motions and make them loud and obvious that I am trying NOT to fight.

Not only that I don't want to fight, but that I'm scared-frightened..."Dude I don't want to fight-you're scaring me-please leave me alone."

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sagacity of the conversation rendered you speechless?

:D

I'm with Bill and Elder. Hell, even in the ER, where I cannot just walk away, I do my damnedest to make it clear that I don't want to fight, and flat out ask people "please, cooperate with us."

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sagacity of the conversation rendered you speechless?

:D

I'm with Bill and Elder. Hell, even in the ER, where I cannot just walk away, I do my damnedest to make it clear that I don't want to fight, and flat out ask people "please, cooperate with us."
Apparently I'm so talented that I can leave a comment simply by attempting to scroll text on my phone. Sorry for the inadvertent post.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If your local agency is like most, unless it is REALLY clear cut with witnesses who all agree with your version, there is a good chance that both parties will be arrested.
It's my understanding that law enforcement and the justice system prefer a peaceful environment: they like to keep the peace. It keeps things calm, simple, and safe.

As a result, they don't look kindly on people who disturb that peace. It makes them nervous, buggers up their day, and forces them to make decisions that have negative consequences.

But if you have to defend yourself against someone who means you physical harm, I'd agree with the others: behave in such a way that witnesses would not see you as an aggressive person. IMO, witnesses try to make sense of what they're seeing and want to see a clear "white hat, black hat" situation. When you win, their reports have to be "he was forced to defend himself," rather than "he kicked the crap out of that aggressive jerk." While the latter may make you look tough and heroic to the witnesses, I think the system may only look kindly on you if the aggressor was a hardened criminal and your life was really in danger ... in the opinion of the system.

Without the clear "white hat, black hat" assessment, the reports could be "two guys were fighting." Of course, witnesses will probably support their friend in their reports. (shrug)

Ideally, you want witnesses to report "the aggressive jerk tripped over his own feet and fell face-first onto the concrete. The other guy just got out of the way in time." :D

Of course, I'm not a lawyer.