the difference between tae kwon do and hapkido

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paul B said:
I have been holding off on this one,but I don't think I can continue to do so.

I would imagine that the end result would depend on the style of TKD or HKD being discussed and background of the Teacher.

However,at their roots the two Art's philosophies are so distinct as to be incompatable. IMVHO they just don't mix well w/o one influencing the other to the point of technical bleed. That being said...

The opposing philosophies and basic movements that "make" the individual art, I would think, as one progresses in either art the differences in technique would be even more clearly delineated.

Sorry to say..but the techniques from GM's of TKD do not resemble those of GM's in HKD..at least none that I have ever seen.

Since when are the principles of Yoo,Won and Wha part and parcel of TKD?

Could anyone tell me if they have ever seen "circular" TKD?

How about a technical approach of "yeilding" or "blending"?

"Soft" blocking in TKD?

Nauk Bup? Yu Sool? Dahn Bong Sool? Po Bak Sool? Bu Chae Sool? Dan Kum Sool? Kum Sool? Mok Jou Ri Ki? Joong Bong Sool? Do jin Bup? Dan Jun breathing?( Ki Cho Ja Ki) Maek Chi Ki? Sohn Sa Li ki?

Identifieable concepts such as center-line and third point?

I'll even take the use of a classical triangular stance taken which is integral to use a pivoting movement and to aid in redirection.Anyone?

I think the facts are that:
1. Both are Korean MA sharing some terminology and..
2. Both utilize kicks (albeit in a different manner of execution) and...
3. Some TKD intructors may choose to include basic HKD techniques as a part of their Hoshinsul curriculum..haven't really done a whole lot to dispel these common misconceptions.

Paul, I am with you on this one 100%. I just cant stay quite any longer either. So here it is:

Tae Kwon Do: Forms, one step sparring, Basic Moves. This is revolved strictly from striking and kicking.

Hapkido: Wrist techniques, Clothes Techniques, striking, kicking, modified throwing, one arm throwing, cane techniques.

Some have the misconception that hapkido borrowed its kicking from Tae Kwon Do. This is not true, entirely. Plus, hapkido has 4 kicks that tae kwon do does not. Just for perspective, I had to do twist kick, inverted stomp and inverted arc for my orange belt in hapkido.

Tae Kwon Do does not teach twist kick until purple belt. It is not in any forms until Gae Bek anyway.

Saying that Tae Kwon Do is an off shoot of shotokan karate and hapkido is an offshoot of jujitsu is too over simplified.

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I thought Hapkido was Aikido with kicks :mp5:

I think you guys should do some research before asking these questions!

There's plenty of good material available!

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
American HKD said:
I thought Hapkido was Aikido with kicks :mp5:

I think you guys should do some research before asking these questions!

There's plenty of good material available!

But then what fun would having a forum be?:)

Aikido with kicks..thanks for the spilled beverage,Stuart.:lol: