Lame Demo's?

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Why is it that every demo of Hapkido, at least all the ones I have seen, are always focused on showing defense against wrist grabs? Couple this with the folks who like to do breakfalls with bearly being touched and it kind of puts Hapkido in a negitive light to many folks.

If you could give a demo of Hapkido, what would you do different, if you would do anything different?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yours isnt the only art with the wrist grab obsession....for some reason lots of arts love to waste time tinkering with 1001 responses to the wrist grab. I have a tough time remembering when the last time I ever saw a wrist grab used in a fight though...

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
LOL... it does make one wonder.

What makes it all the more curious is that Hapkido has defenses from just about every grab and strike imaginable... why would people restrict themselves to wrist grab defenses in demos?

I also kinda shake my head at those acrobatic breakfalls. You wouldn't dream of doing that on, say, asphalt or concrete. Somebody mentioned that the wrist grabs are probably inherited from aikijujutsu. So are these falls, I expect, just as they passed on into Aikido.

Just as an aside, there are ways of making sure that your opponent cannot do one of those fancy falls out of your technique... one of the better ones is to step on his opposite foot when you apply any joint lock.

I suppose a lot of it comes down to people simply wanting to put visually impressive things in their demos. But is that what you really want to use to attract newcomers to your art?

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
*laughs* I love it when people who have nooo idea what they are looking at and the truth behind it post about generalities of an art.

Howard is correct about our defenses. We do and can defend against more then JUST grabs. But as in any art ther is a lot you DON'T see. The motion of the human body as the techinque is put on, if from a grab, punch or kick. You don't SEE the shoulder seperate and the elbow break. And I'll explain why.

In HKD the falls are there for the protection of the fallee, but also to get us used to taking the technique "All the way". I don't stop at tap out, I countinue the motion full speed, full power. In reality, the human body is torn asunder and the body will attempt an acrobatic fall. Much better demo'ed in person, but there is what I call the "Twitch reflex" where when a joint lock is applied, regardless of the lead in, the body will attempt to throw itself through the air to get rid of the pain. If it's succesfull or not is another matter. But we HKDins use that reflex as the opening for our falls. There is rhyme and reason behind what we do, and in the end, the result is quite destructive. But then again, most don't know that ;)

But I do agree, showing more then just grabs, and attacks from a realistic situation is much better for demonstration purposes. However a break between how WE do it and the "Traditional" way does make for some spectacular falls. On my part ;)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
Why is it that every demo of Hapkido, at least all the ones I have seen, are always focused on showing defense against wrist grabs? Couple this with the folks who like to do breakfalls with bearly being touched and it kind of puts Hapkido in a negitive light to many folks.

If you could give a demo of Hapkido, what would you do different, if you would do anything different?
do u have anything to show so we can relate?
i mean, if u want :)

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hollywood1340 said:
Try www.geocities.com/indy458/Gallery.html I put up some HKD clips there from around the web.

I hate to be a fly in the ointment - but these are "tradtional" Hapkido players, where you study combat hapkido. I am being a stickler granted - but I think it is a bit disingenuous to present it as what you do. I know that there is a bit of cross over but you have to admit that the system you study is altered from traditional Hapkido. Some would go as far as to call it another system entirely.

As for wrist grab demos mark it up to tradition. Give it another 10 years and the public face will change dramatically, We have to respect our elders and their way of doing things. There is a method to the perceived madness. When given our chance some things that we do may seem out of step. With all traditions - you try to expand but you have to be careful not to toss away what is valuable.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kumbajah said:
As for wrist grab demos mark it up to tradition. Give it another 10 years and the public face will change dramatically, We have to respect our elders and their way of doing things. There is a method to the perceived madness. When given our chance some things that we do may seem out of step. With all traditions - you try to expand but you have to be careful not to toss away what is valuable.

I like this attitude!

I also think that wrist grabs and such make for an easy-to-plan demo, unfortunately. Don't underestimate that factor!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Yours isnt the only art with the wrist grab obsession....for some reason lots of arts love to waste time tinkering with 1001 responses to the wrist grab. I have a tough time remembering when the last time I ever saw a wrist grab used in a fight though...

Smaller persons, women and children are often grabbed by the wrist as an itimidation tactic. True, it's not a high probability assault for a 6 foot man, but it is still a frequent assault tactic against some people. Defense against it (simple escape, no counter) was the first technique I learned in Danzan-ryu Jujitsu - and I used it the very same year in which I was taught it.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A bit off the original topic, but I've always heard and read that the reason there are so many wrist grab defenses in Hapkido is historical - it's said to be because wrist grabs used to be a common tactic to prevent you from drawing your sword. Of course, I can't vouch for the accuracy of that...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:

Maybe it is becuase you were not there at the beginning of the confratation. I have seen it, and I have seen it from males used against females. They reach out and grab their wrist (* seems non threatening to the general public *). I have seen is where the guys grabs the wrist and then punches. If you train to have a release ready in muscle memory, it starts to react as the strike is coming in.

Now I will grant this, I have seen as many if not more, tackles, shoves, people striking themselves to adrenaline themselves up, before they jump in, and such. I am by no means saying it is a majority, only that I have seen it.

As to demo's this is osmething that is self defense oriented, and allows for the person to see they can get away from being trapt. Other than just fighting, for most people who start martial arts do not start it as an acomplished fighter. Some yes, not most or all.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kumbajah said:
I hate to be a fly in the ointment - but these are "tradtional" Hapkido players, where you study combat hapkido. I am being a stickler granted - but I think it is a bit disingenuous to present it as what you do. I know that there is a bit of cross over but you have to admit that the system you study is altered from traditional Hapkido. Some would go as far as to call it another system entirely.

Never presented it as what I do, simply said I had some HKD clips I found on the internet. And from what I've seen and experianced, I do hapkido as well.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
...I have seen is where the guys grabs the wrist and then punches. If you train to have a release ready in muscle memory, it starts to react as the strike is coming in...
I agree, that tactic is not all that uncommon. Especially if a fight has already started, and both fighters are in a basic boxing stance (facing each other, on the balls of their feet, guards up). In this situation, it's not unusual for a trained fighter to grab his opponent's lead wrist, manipulate the arm somehow and throw a punch or follow up some other way. For example, if I'm in a natural righthander's fighting stance (my left foot forward, my left fist leading, in front of my body, to jab or parry), my opponent can grab my left (lead-hand) wrist and follow up.

Fortunately, Hapkido has numerous defenses against this type of wrist grab too. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with howard--this is where it's important to me personally. A grab during a fight, possibly at an awkward angle or only half-grabbing, is not uncommon. Throw a backfist, someone's block/parry becomes a grab--that's wher one can use wrist hold techniques. I often use just the first part of such a technique to maneuver the person to where I can throw a punch.

I agree that it's also a common initial or intimidating attack by the larger against the smaller.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Well first of all, I would not have a HKD demo in the first place.

Do they run Dojangs or stunt studios? For some reason I feel like they should pick one of the other and do it well.

Second, I always felt it would be a cool demo if they just went out there and sparred all out. Demonstrate what is actually being taught at the school and not stuff they slapped together for a flashy demonstration. Or maybe even just have all the student attack the head instructor and have him defend agaist it like an aikido school would.

I suppose I don't run a school though so I can't really talk, just my opinion as usual.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO..the prevalence of wrist grabs goes back to the days of swords, knives etc. where the opponent would grab the wrist to prevent a draw. While not "impossible" to see on the street, I would only work on 2-3 simple/effective techniques. A lot of the fancy locks, twists etc. just rarely fly in a full blown brawl. They may work if you are an LEO/Security worker and have to deal with resistive people who are not all out fighting, but for general SD I wouldnt get too pedantic on the subject.

OP
B

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We should all give Tgace an extra "atta boy" for just using the word "pedantic"...............:uhyeah:

ChineseKempoJerry

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do not practice or follow Hapkido. I did learn wrist grabs early in my training. Came to find out that it was the principle of the technique he wanted us to learn and could care less about the wrist grab.

The principle could be applied in the clinch, from a punch, or on the ground. He just one day said that wrist grabs were an easy way to teach to beginners because they question you less. My best Chi Na techniques stem from a wrist grab technique that have nothing to do with wrist grabs.

Food for thought - maybe there are alot of wrist grab techniques because it was easier to teach the principle or theory of a technique that way. (eye of the beholder?)

Best Regards,

Sifu Jerry

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've often said something similar...wrist grabs are a good way to teach techniques that can be used in a variety of circumstances!

Latest Discussions