Moo Sul Kwan testings soon

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I bet... always looms up ahead for so long and you can't imagine ever getting past it, and then, boom, it's over with. Best feeling in the world!

In my mind and spirt, YES: best feeling in the world.

On the other hand, my ENTIRE BODY is sore today :D

My co-workers were laughing at my occassional groans as I moved my computer mouse around :rolleyes:

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my mind and spirt, YES: best feeling in the world.

On the other hand, my ENTIRE BODY is sore today :D

But don't you have this wonderful feeling of virtuousness from how hard you worked and how much you endured?? There's nothing like the pleasure of having suffered in a good cause... :wink1:

My co-workers were laughing at my occassional groans as I moved my computer mouse around :rolleyes:

But that's a crucial part of it! What's the point of having suffered for your art if no one knows about it?? Groaning is part of making sure that you are not just virtuous, but seen to be virtuous! :D

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
But don't you have this wonderful feeling of virtuousness from how hard you worked and how much you endured?? There's nothing like the pleasure of having suffered in a good cause... :wink1:

Yep :)

But that's a crucial part of it! What's the point of having suffered for your art if no one knows about it?? Groaning is part of making sure that you are not just virtuous, but seen to be virtuous! :D

LOL.. Yep :)

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good news......DerekHKD passed his purple belt test. 2 more to go before dan test. Congrats to him.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good news......DerekHKD passed his purple belt test. 2 more to go before dan test. Congrats to him.

Arrraaaaa'! Good on ya, Derek!

So in your setup it's... what---purple, brown, red and then the dan test? I should look at that thread about the belt systems in different schools, I know you've posted something about MSK... can't seem to locate it though.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Finally did manage to find it---and yes, that's what you guys do... in our dojang, red and red/black come before the dan test. But whatever, I hope that Derek is savoring his triumph and that his next test goes just as well, and the next....

DerekHKD

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Exile! I am very relieved that it is over and I passed. It feels great to be a purple belt, because that is considered an upper belt in our system. Now I get to go to the Sunday upper belt work outs.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Exile! I am very relieved that it is over and I passed. It feels great to be a purple belt, because that is considered an upper belt in our system. Now I get to go to the Sunday upper belt work outs.

Nice going, Derek---when do you figure to be going up for brown, roughly?

DerekHKD

White Belt
Reaction score
Nice going, Derek---when do you figure to be going up for brown, roughly?

Around one year, purple to brown requires 100 points. Our point system is
1 point for tuesday workout
1 point for thursday
3 points for sunday(these workouts are not every week)
Various points for tournaments and conventions

But I have alot of work to do before brown, mainly I need to increase my flexibility.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Around one year, purple to brown requires 100 points. Our point system is
1 point for tuesday workout
1 point for thursday
3 points for sunday(these workouts are not every week)
Various points for tournaments and conventions

But I have alot of work to do before brown, mainly I need to increase my flexibility.

Wow, you guys have it quantified pretty exactly! With us, it's much more a matter of when our instructor thinks we've got it nailed down past all question. That winds up corresponding to around four months or so at the lower colored belts, and maybe six months or so from blue on up.

I'm struck by the triple points for Sunday workouts... these are the senior belt ones, as you mentioned---I guess they're both longer and more demanding (physically and technically) than the weekday workouts?

DerekHKD

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow, you guys have it quantified pretty exactly! With us, it's much more a matter of when our instructor thinks we've got it nailed down past all question. That winds up corresponding to around four months or so at the lower colored belts, and maybe six months or so from blue on up.

I'm struck by the triple points for Sunday workouts... these are the senior belt ones, as you mentioned---I guess they're both longer and more demanding (physically and technically) than the weekday workouts?
In a way it is the same with us, points are only part of it the instructor also has to feel that we are ready to test.
As far as the sunday workouts go. I do not know from experience yet, but I hear they are much much harder than the week day workouts. I have heard of days with 1000 kicks or 1000 squats, which I do not doubt one bit. It is gonna be tough, but i can't wait I love doing conditioning.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In a way it is the same with us, points are only part of it the instructor also has to feel that we are ready to test.
As far as the sunday workouts go. I do not know from experience yet, but I hear they are much much harder than the week day workouts. I have heard of days with 1000 kicks or 1000 squats, which I do not doubt one bit. It is gonna be tough, but i can't wait I love doing conditioning.

Weird as it sounds to say it, what you describe sounds like fun---as long as it's not all the same kick a thousand times in a row, eh? I know from experience that I can do around 250 rear-leg side kicks or back kicks in succession and not have my leg go into spasm, but it's a close thing... any more might be finito. I can see why you'd rack up triple points for the Sunday sessions!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yep: both longer AND more demanding. But they can also be fun.

I'll have to check with our instructor, but I think that SOME Sundays are "three pointers" and others are just two points.

Also, you can get 5 points for participating in a tournament; 5 points for a first place win, 3 points for a second place win, and 2 points for a third place win. We only have about three or four tournaments per year, but it is a way to pick up a few extra points.

Also, attending seminars (we only hold one per year) or participating in a demo (haven't done one of those for a LONG time) are worth extra points.

I'm looking forward to seeing Derek and the other two new purple belts attend our Sunday workouts! Been a long time since we've had some students pass the purple belt mark.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep: both longer AND more demanding. But they can also be fun.

I'll have to check with our instructor, but I think that SOME Sundays are "three pointers" and others are just two points.

Also, you can get 5 points for participating in a tournament; 5 points for a first place win, 3 points for a second place win, and 2 points for a third place win. We only have about three or four tournaments per year, but it is a way to pick up a few extra points.

Also, attending seminars (we only hold one per year) or participating in a demo (haven't done one of those for a LONG time) are worth extra points.

I'm looking forward to seeing Derek and the other two new purple belts attend our Sunday workouts! Been a long time since we've had some students pass the purple belt mark.

Hey, zD---it's definitely exciting for everyone when that happens---really cranks up the energy level of the whole dojang when a bunch of people pass a major test, doesn't it. Good for morale all around.... have a good time on your first ultraintense Sunday workout, Derek!

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exile, I can attest that the weekend workouts are much more brutal than the regular week ones. Not from participating in dads Sunday workout but every time we have one in St. Louis I am "Invited"......it is goofy to see all the dans and brown belts with two purple belts and then little old me the green belt.

In St. Louis it is about a once a month thing and it is "Brutal" Speed drills, hand/foot, kicking reps just tons of good time. If you don't get something out of Sunday workout then you are not trying at all.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exile, I can attest that the weekend workouts are much more brutal than the regular week ones. Not from participating in dads Sunday workout but every time we have one in St. Louis I am "Invited"......it is goofy to see all the dans and brown belts with two purple belts and then little old me the green belt.

In St. Louis it is about a once a month thing and it is "Brutal" Speed drills, hand/foot, kicking reps just tons of good time. If you don't get something out of Sunday workout then you are not trying at all.

In the home improvement/renovation game, as I understand it, it's called `sweat equity'---you improve the value of the structure by working your butt off to make it a solid, attractive place to live. That the way the MAs work as well---and endless, numbing repetition, getting harder rather than easier as you go along, is the heart of it. And it hurts... but in a good way, always (assuming you don't do something really dumb or unlucky and pull a groin muscle, ouch...)

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Took 5th gup - green belt test last night for hapkido. I wanted to test in front of the panel. Great test. What I expected it to be. Don't know if I passed yet for sure or not. Will find that out tonight.

Next Wednesday is my 4th gup - blue belt test in Tae Kwon Do.

No, there are not strange things afoot at the Circle K and yes, Party on dude!
icon10.gif
icon14.gif

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Took 5th gup - green belt test last night for hapkido. I wanted to test in front of the panel. Great test. What I expected it to be. Don't know if I passed yet for sure or not. Will find that out tonight.

Next Wednesday is my 4th gup - blue belt test in Tae Kwon Do.

No, there are not strange things afoot at the Circle K and yes, Party on dude!
icon10.gif
icon14.gif

Matt---at this rate you're going to be earning two first dans back to back, within a single testing period, no?

Latest Discussions