New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
From your post 421 "I hope you listen very carefully to how he completely disrepects the KKW and thus violates his own principles of respect."
Respect is a budo philosophy tied tot he traditional martial arts. Every single person I've ever encountered espousing it fell short of it. General Choi's statements in that press conference about the KKW/WTF is cringeworthy.

So, now are you claiming it was not "His" own principle?

Are you arguing that courtesy nd respect are the same?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I once asked a hippopotamus what it was like to fly.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, so, support for your claim your claim is your belief that somewhere in some book someone said that someone said something. Got it.

Further the discussion has to do with him allegedly changing his mind or doing a "180" had nothing to do with his thoughts on KKW but was a discussion of how he wants technique performed. Are you deliberately trying to change the discussion?

His changing views of the KKW is evidence of inconsistent belief as to what constitutes TaeKwonDo as opposed to Karate impersonation.

It is exactly the type of unreliability I was referring to when he tells you that SW has punching hip twist and to Yeo chin huat that SW parted with hip twist.... Some days the KKW is a poor mans Karate, other days they are part of the TKD family.... Some days SW has hip twist punches, other days it does not.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
His changing views of the KKW is evidence of inconsistent belief as to what constitutes TaeKwonDo as opposed to Karate impersonation.

It is exactly the type of unreliability I was referring to when he tells you that SW has punching hip twist and to Yeo chin huat that SW parted with hip twist.... Some days the KKW is a poor mans Karate, other days they are part of the TKD family.... Some days SW has hip twist punches, other days it does not.

So, you are comparing what General Choi consistently taught with what someone else says he thinks General Choi taught - got it.

You base your opinion on snippets of videos and excerpts from texts and somehow extrapolate various excerpted opinions on KKW to what he taught. My opinion is based upon over 150 classroom hours with him, a dozen pages or so of typed notes from that along with comparison to what he had in his texts, and found him 98% consistent and my conclusion that the other 2% or so can be mainly attributed to my misunderstanding what he said, his misunderstanding a question or my inaccuracy in note taking. I will leave it to others as to whose opinion is based on better data

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
EARL WEISS SAID:
Are you arguing that courtesy nd respect are the same?
One cannot exist without the other.

Well therein we have a disagreement on how terms are defined / applied and without such agreement an intelligent discussion cannot be had.

At a certain basic level most humans are entitled to a certain level of respect simply for being part of humanity. This is not what is typically referred to when someone says you need to respect someone, Admittedly "Showing Respect" and displaying "Courtesy" can be considered similar. However, in most common usage someone is respected because of what they have accomplished and a feeling of admiration for their qualities or accomplishments. . Age, Rank, knowledge, experience. etc. Aside from age these qualities are unknow in a stranger so you would not "Respect" them. Courtesy is often defined as politeness or good manners. You can display courtesy to a stranger, or even to someone you do not respect.

So, you can most definitely have courtesy without respect. Having respect without courtesy - while possible would not say much about someone's education.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Even my dog knows to give up on a bone when there's nothing more to be got out of it.

As we used to say in the RAF..................... NFI mate.:yawn:

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bollocks. Any decent human being is capable of being courteous to someone even if they have zero respect for them.

I can't say that I've experienced it from you. But I don't mind a little sting to conversations. Just sayin..

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, you are comparing what General Choi consistently taught with what someone else says he thinks General Choi taught - got it.

You base your opinion on snippets of videos and excerpts from texts and somehow extrapolate various excerpted opinions on KKW to what he taught. My opinion is based upon over 150 classroom hours with him, a dozen pages or so of typed notes from that along with comparison to what he had in his texts, and found him 98% consistent and my conclusion that the other 2% or so can be mainly attributed to my misunderstanding what he said, his misunderstanding a question or my inaccuracy in note taking. I will leave it to others as to whose opinion is based on better data

No, I base it on my own training dating back to 2014 under Yeo Chin Huat

You challenged me to produce names having a different experience of what sine wave does and does not contain.. Then when I did so and encouraged you to email said person, you decided against it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah but why would you? The hole point behind courteous is that you respect him or her. So in practice, there is no difference.
No? The point of being courteous is to be polite to people, and just generally not be an ***. I don't respect most people I don't know, I don't disrespect them either. But that doesn't mean I won't be courteous to them, most of the time.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can mock someone who says smart things too. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean it actually makes any sense..
It happens all the time. People that respect others can be rude to those people, normally they end up feeling guilty about it later. But someone that you respect is generally someone you engage with, and emotions can get tense and cause rudeness. It happens. I'm sure just about every one of us has been rude to our parents multiple times within our lives, and yet most of us respect our parents as well.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It happens all the time. People that respect others can be rude to those people, normally they end up feeling guilty about it later. .

I don't "believe" in that. Disrespecting someone is fundamental. It's not just some snarky remark.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No? The point of being courteous is to be polite to people,.

You have a basic level of respect for people that you are courteous to. Anonymous forums are a perfect example of how true that is. When nobody needs to face the consequences, they disrespect the sh*it out of each other.

Then in real life people keep their mouths shut simply because it's easier that way. But I wouldn't say that they are polite.. just neutral.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have a basic level of respect for people that you are courteous to. Anonymous forums are a perfect example of how true that is. When nobody needs to face the consequences, they disrespect the sh*it out of each other.

Then in real life people keep their mouths shut simply because it's easier that way. But I wouldn't say that they are polite.. just neutral.
Nope. I don't have a base level of respect for strangers. It starts off neutral. I'm still courteous to them. I gather that this might not be the case for you...but that's you. Not everyone.

Latest Discussions