New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Courtesy and neutrality are not the same thing.
I think I see the issue. You can't imagine showing general courtesy to the general public. As such, you lose that courtesy yourself by your behavior. So your experience suggests that people are not typically courteous, and are instead neutral.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think I see the issue. You can't imagine showing general courtesy to the general public. As such, you lose that courtesy yourself by your behavior. So your experience suggests that people are not typically courteous, and are instead neutral.

Ad hominem when all else fail... I think we can all agree that regardless, General Choi failed both.. Read the book a killing art. It tells a very telling story of how he tells one student "you should get your money back from your instructor" after they didn't demonstrate a technique to his satisfaction during a seminar.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ad hominem when all else fail... I think we can all agree that regardless, General Choi failed both.. Read the book a killing art. It tells a very telling story of how he tells one student "you should get your money back from your instructor" after they didn't demonstrate a technique to his satisfaction during a seminar.
Not an ad hominem. The difference in experiences just clicked with me, so I understand the dispute. And I doubt I can change your mind when your experiences support it.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not an ad hominem. The difference in experiences just clicked with me, so I understand the dispute. And I doubt I can change your mind when your experiences support it.

This is Googles definition of courtesy:

"The showing of politeness in one's attitude and behaviour towards others."

Publicly labeling the KKW/WTF Karate imposters is incompatible with that tenet.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is Googles definition of courtesy:

"The showing of politeness in one's attitude and behaviour towards others."

Publicly labeling the KKW/WTF Karate imposters is incompatible with that tenet.
Unrelated to the point I was making. Which is irrelevant to the larger point at this point since I was not addressing general choi, and have no idea the attitude he had towards others.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One would think that in 4 years training, 3 days a week, I would be told to twist my hip in SW when punching, if that was what GM Yeo wanted.

Very curious also that he, like Choi, corrected people who did twist their hips in clips we can all see, as opposed to unverified anecdotes....

The evidence against United States Grandmaster is damning.... Pretty sure I would win this case easily in a court... Regardless of the truth.
So you admit the truth isn’t really important to your claim?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While we are on the subject of argument from authority. Is US GM Weiss of the opinion that he is a higher authority than international GM Yeo?

Just curious....
That is a blatant attempt to use argument from authority. And it has no real weight in the question at hand.

You are bad at this.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is a blatant attempt to use argument from authority. And it has no real weight in the question at hand.

You are bad at this.

No no, Mr Weiss used it first (which is fine, argument from authority is not always a fallacy)

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So you admit the truth isn’t really important to your claim?

As I explained in this thread repeatedly, General Choi displayed a lot of conflictedness towards Karate and TaeKwonDo, and I am being honest when I say that I do not trust his own words from day to day. His opinions were not consistent through time with regards to pretty much anything.

This is why I take the view that I believe he has advocated both things at different times. I am being charitable to Mr Weiss, he could also have misunderstood him.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is worth noting that Mr Weiss is the only one I know of who claim that hip twist was intact for sine wave punching.

Everybody else have a different interpretation.

Make of that what you will..

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope. Not being disrespectful is not equivalent to being respectful. There is a middle ground called neutral.
You will have to elaborate on that one. To me the two terms are binary; you either Are being disrespectful or not.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
GM Yeo has a photo General Choi sitting in his sofa in the 90s. You can find it in the clubs website. Does that indicate to you someone who is not in touch with Choi since the 70s?
No sir, yet sitting on a sofa is not the same as being in a classroom. What has been indicated to me is you have language processing issues vis a vis conventional meanings. II have been on the floor instructed by several who trained with General Choi at various times. Yet, my first hand experience revealed revealed numerous items that needed refinement based on first hand experience. If you expect me to criticize GM Yeo, that won't happen the best you would get, if I were to ever have first hand classroom experience with him is that we have a difference of opinion. This is not unusual. The Triumvirate that took over teaching IICs after General Choi's death during dinner related how between them they had been to 100 IICs with general Choi andid not always agree on what the standard should be.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
One would think that in 4 years training, 3 days a week, I would be told to twist my hip in SW when punching, if that was what GM Yeo wanted.

Very curious also that he, like Choi, corrected people who did twist their hips in clips we can all see, as opposed to unverified anecdotes....

The evidence against United States Grandmaster is damning.... Pretty sure I would win this case easily in a court... Regardless of the truth.
I cannot speak to what GM Yeo may or may not have said he told you. If you refer to the clip where General Choi says "Don't twist your body" as opposed to "Don't twist your Hips" don't let the courthouse door hit you in the butt on the way out after your loss. If you have another clip I will be happy to review it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
While we are on the subject of argument from authority. Is US GM Weiss of the opinion that he is a higher authority than international GM Yeo?

Just curious....
Sir, since I have no information concerning the extent of GM Yeo's classroom experience with General Choi I have no opinion on this. Eve if I did, As far as me commenting on who is a "Higher Authority" if it is based solely upon whether your instructor or mine is of senior rank - you lose. Other than that - Courtesy will not let me comment on the accuracy of your claims, as to the accuracy of GM Yeo's perspective.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No sir, yet sitting on a sofa is not the same as being in a classroom. What has been indicated to me is you have language processing issues vis a vis conventional meanings. II have been on the floor instructed by several who trained with General Choi at various times. Yet, my first hand experience revealed revealed numerous items that needed refinement based on first hand experience. If you expect me to criticize GM Yeo, that won't happen the best you would get, if I were to ever have first hand classroom experience with him is that we have a difference of opinion. This is not unusual. The Triumvirate that took over teaching IICs after General Choi's death during dinner related how between them they had been to 100 IICs with general Choi andid not always agree on what the standard should be.

Hearsay is dismissable in court.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Couple of quick points about some of the tangential discussions going on.

An appeal to authority is not always a fallacy, if the credibility of the authority is generally agreed upon by everyone involved, and the area of expertise is directly relevant to the topic at hand. The issue around here is people arguing that because they know one thing (e.g., "self defense" ninja training), that they are experts in another thing (e.g., fighting). The easiest way to combat this is to cite your sources, and to pay attention to those who do not.

Respect can exist without courtesy, and vice versa. Though, I can understand how not being disrespectful is different from being respectful. FWIW, I also see a clear distinction between respecting someone and being respectful. The latter is a behavior, while the former is a belief or opinion.

Okay, carry on. :D

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Couple of quick points about some of the tangential discussions going on.

An appeal to authority is not always a fallacy, if the credibility of the authority is generally agreed upon by everyone involved, and the area of expertise is directly relevant to the topic at hand. The issue around here is people arguing that because they know one thing (e.g., "self defense" ninja training), that they are experts in another thing (e.g., fighting). The easiest way to combat this is to cite your sources, and to pay attention to those who do not.

Respect can exist without courtesy, and vice versa. Though, I can understand how not being disrespectful is different from being respectful. FWIW, I also see a clear distinction between respecting someone and being respectful. The latter is a behavior, while the former is a belief or opinion.

Okay, carry on. :D

I agree. And GM Yeo has more credentials than Weiss as far as I know.

Isn't YMCA a pretty prestigious merit?

Latest Discussions