New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious only do to your limited experience. But not unique. I experienced numerous instances where people would say or think "That must be OK because General Choi did not correct it. " I may have thought the same initially but later realized he had a certain amount of material to get through and if he tried to fix everything we would never finish. I came to realize he "Put out the hottest fires first" and at successive course where performance seemed to improve across the board details covered became more intricate.
This is a common issue for all instructors. Can’t fix everything you see at the same time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to teach everything at one time is very hard for some new instructors to learn. Been there myself.
I find the biggest challenge sometimes is just conveying material in a way(s) that everyone can understand and benefit from. Too many times I have thought "I will just show them" only to find that it just doesn't work for everyone. People learn differently.
And every person will see something slightly different in the demonstration.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry, read this 5 times and have no idea what you are talking about. "Twisting the attacking tool" refers to the "Tool" like the forefist or footsword and has nothing to so with the motion of the hips or knee spring. Raising and Lowering the hips was referenced in the 1972 Text and the term Knee spring was referenced later. 1983 Edition Vol II (Same edition Sine wave terminology forts used still states under "Hand Techniques" (page 16) "1 Turn the Hip and abdomen" etc as stated above. Now, are you going to complaint that "Turn the Hip" is different than " Twist the hip"

Contrary to what you indicated it was not turning the hip (Hip twist) was not removed (Seems it was always called "Turn the hip". )

Turn the hip only refers to where you are pointed towards

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Curious only do to your limited experience. But not unique. I experienced numerous instances where people would say or think "That must be OK because General Choi did not correct it. " I may have thought the same initially but later realized he had a certain amount of material to get through and if he tried to fix everything we would never finish. I came to realize he "Put out the hottest fires first" and at successive course where performance seemed to improve across the board details covered became more intricate.

Certain amount of material to get through? There is no more to this particular theory of his but a possible hip twist, which he left out, suspiciously.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am well acquainted with Mr. Anslow. He has published a couple of dozen articles on mine in his magazine. I have the utmost respect for him. Suffice it to say we do not agree on everything.

So your standpoint is that SW, as taught by General Choi, has the same amount hip twist as before any knee spring?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is a common issue for all instructors. Can’t fix everything you see at the same time.

Hard to fix a hip twist if you tell the student to not twist his body:rolleyes:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And every person will see something slightly different in the demonstration.

Some people know how to read a room.

Some people like to be the smartest person in the room.

Some people wouldn't be the smartest person in the room even if they walked into an empty one.

Some people just need to be dragged into the woodshed.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some people know how to read a room.

Some people like to be the smartest person in the room.

Some people wouldn't be the smartest person in the room even if they walked into an empty one.

Some people just need to be dragged into the woodshed.
Holy ****, dismemberment...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a cop orders you to not move your body, would you still move your hips?

I am done with Earl but I can still have fun with his followers in their hopeless cause.

That's the definition of trolling.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Certain amount of material to get through? There is no more to this particular theory of his but a possible hip twist, which he left out, suspiciously.
Sir, again you misunderstand. There was an agenda for courses and Seminars. It was important to complete the agenda. Going into eztreme detil on too many items ould mean that other things would not be covered.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why is that you disagree, if General Choi emphasized hip twists in his lectures...?
Sir, I am not aware that Mr. Anslow ever attended a session with General Choi. Are you? He may have. If so, what did it consist of?

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sir, not if you understand the point he was making - granted not always easy to understand a point an instructor is making with only a brief encounter. It would be like complaining about the name of the Chang Hon "U" shape block when it looks more like a "C" because if you look at a video of the Village people doing "YMCA" it's definitely a "C".

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
So your standpoint is that SW, as taught by General Choi, has the same amount hip twist as before any knee spring?
Sir, I can only answer from my personal experience which was a brief session in the 1970's and then my first IIC in 1990. - Last one in 2002 No change in Hip Twist. I have no doubt that progeny of various pioneers may have exhibited different habits.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Language is imperfect. I have had students question something I said and realized how what I said was misinterpreted. Sometimes I was able to refine the language. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to avoid any misinterpretation. At some IICs General Choi would say something and I did not understand the point. I would ask other seniors and sometimes get an explanation and sometimes not. Other times as the questions and discussions continued I was able to grasp the point he was making. I was not alone in this and quite frankly I have experienced this with other instructors as well.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, I am not aware that Mr. Anslow ever attended a session with General Choi. Are you? He may have. If so, what did it consist of?

Them how come the sine wave deliveries against a black background that Choi approved of had little to no hip twist, exactly like Anslow wrote

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If a cop orders you to not move your body, would you still move your hips?

I am done with Earl but I can still have fun with his followers in their hopeless cause.
I don’t know who you think Earl’s “followers” are. I’m not a TKD guy, I don’t generally engage in TKD discussions much, and Earl and I hardly interact here. It’s nothing personal, it’s just that we tend to engage in discussions in different subjects.

So, you do what you want, but your presentation here in the forums is a mess. I’m just looking in and watching your slow-motion train wreck.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don’t know who you think Earl’s “followers” are. I’m not a TKD guy, I don’t generally engage in TKD discussions much, and Earl and I hardly interact here. It’s nothing personal, it’s just that we tend to engage in discussions in different subjects.

So, you do what you want, but your presentation here in the forums is a mess. I’m just looking in and watching your slow-motion train wreck.

I know you know absolutely nothing about the subject, which makes you even more foolish than you already are.

But you of course side with the GM nonetheless, true to to your sheep nature.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Language is imperfect. I have had students question something I said and realized how what I said was misinterpreted. Sometimes I was able to refine the language. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to avoid any misinterpretation. At some IICs General Choi would say something and I did not understand the point. I would ask other seniors and sometimes get an explanation and sometimes not. Other times as the questions and discussions continued I was able to grasp the point he was making. I was not alone in this and quite frankly I have experienced this with other instructors as well.

That's why you're a lawyer. This is what you people do. I will believe you when I see one mention of it from Choi, on tape, preferrably part of an exhibit.

Latest Discussions