New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pot, meet Kettle...

If a cop orders you to not move your body, would you still move your hips?

I am done with Earl but I can still have fun with his followers in their hopeless cause.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
You were the one erroneously equating "jerking the hip and abdomen" with twisting it, and then moved on.

If he meant twist, he would have written twist. But nothing is to going to convince you. If it doesn't say what you want it to say, you will reconstruct it to do so, or pull a quote out of context.

So, I will bow out.
1. It was not erroneous. You make a distinction without a difference.
2. How do you know what he meant and what he had written? You are saying he eliminated "Twist" when he instituted SW so I expect you will point me to an earlier text where Hip twist was specified and does not appear in the later text. Please let us know.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If a cop orders you to not move your body, would you still move your hips?

I am done with Earl but I can still have fun with his followers in their hopeless cause.
Sir, For the record. I do not consider any on this thread to be my "Follower". Some it seems are not even TKD people, and others not ITF people and have come to the same conclusion about your erroneous conclusions based on limited knowledge and experience. Some time ago at an IIC conducted after General Choi's death some of the Instructors were debating a difference between "Stamping" and "Stomping" Not surprisingly English / American was not their first language. Perhaps some of your issues with the language in the text is based on the same issue.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, For the record. I do not consider any on this thread to be my "Follower". Some it seems are not even TKD people, and others not ITF people and have come to the same conclusion about your erroneous conclusions based on limited knowledge and experience. Some time ago at an IIC conducted after General Choi's death some of the Instructors were debating a difference between "Stamping" and "Stomping" Not surprisingly English / American was not their first language. Perhaps some of your issues with the language in the text is based on the same issue.

Well I am a TKD man as you know and we probably agree on 99% of the topics of ITF and TKD, but not this one.

Did you read the article I linked by Stuart Anslow which chronicles the evolution of punching mechanics in Chang Hon? Did you read the final stage of its evolution: "Little to no hip twist."?

This is actually a bigger problem for you than it is for me because both of you are high ranking instructors that have the responsibility of grading students. And one of you got it wrong.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I happen to think both of you are wrong but that Stuart is closer to the truth. He simply needs to delete the word "little"

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
? You are saying he eliminated "Twist" when he instituted SW so I expect you will point me to an earlier text where Hip twist was specified and does not appear in the later text. Please let us know.

We need a Korean translator for the first encyclopedia.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is no doubt about it . He covered it several times in each Instructor course. I took notes during each IIC I attended. This entry appears several times. If you don't "believe" it them you must have interviewed several people with different experience.

Yet no mention of that to the student that the tried to manually get to do a SW motion, and a clear don't twist your body description.

I find that highly curious.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's proof. Mr Weiss' quote about twisting the attacking tool used to be in punching technique principles got replaced by knee spring.

*2 was instead moved to the next page in the newer edition

Old one...

Screenshot_20210104-001315.png

Knee spring replacement...

Screenshot_20210104-001703.png

"Twisting" moved to general attack (kicks included

Screenshot_20210104-002523.png

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You were the one erroneously equating "jerking the hip and abdomen" with twisting it, and then moved on.

If he meant twist, he would have written twist. But nothing is to going to convince you. If it doesn't say what you want it to say, you will reconstruct it to do so, or pull a quote out of context.

So, I will bow out.
You are definitely the pot calling the kettle black here. Dude you are so far into stupid I officially feel sorry for you.

I use 'dude' since you have repeatedly proven you deserve no respect. Much the opposite even though great respect and patience has been shown to you.
It is well past time for you to eat your humble pie and listen and learn.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You are definitely the pot calling the kettle black here. Dude you are so far into stupid I officially feel sorry for you.

I use 'dude' since you have repeatedly proven you deserve no respect. Much the opposite even though great respect and patience has been shown to you.
It is well past time for you to eat your humble pie and listen and learn.

I am not going to address ad hominem attacks.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you read the article I linked by Stuart Anslow which chronicles the evolution of punching mechanics in Chang Hon? Did you read the final stage of its evolution: "Little to no hip twist."?
I am well acquainted with Mr. Anslow. He has published a couple of dozen articles on mine in his magazine. I have the utmost respect for him. Suffice it to say we do not agree on everything.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is your rank in ITF?
No rank in ITF although I have worked out with ITF folks a good bit. And I have the encyclopedia; compliments of Mr. Weiss I believe.
A lot of your failed argument is universal in Tae Kwon Do.

What is your rank; in anything?
What high level instructors have you trained with? No, change that. What instructors of any recognized black belt level have you trained with period? In person, in a real physical dojo/dojang. Not on YouTube or similar.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's proof. Mr Weiss' quote about twisting the attacking tool used to be in punching technique principles got replaced by knee spring.
Sorry, read this 5 times and have no idea what you are talking about. "Twisting the attacking tool" refers to the "Tool" like the forefist or footsword and has nothing to so with the motion of the hips or knee spring. Raising and Lowering the hips was referenced in the 1972 Text and the term Knee spring was referenced later. 1983 Edition Vol II (Same edition Sine wave terminology forts used still states under "Hand Techniques" (page 16) "1 Turn the Hip and abdomen" etc as stated above. Now, are you going to complaint that "Turn the Hip" is different than " Twist the hip"

Contrary to what you indicated it was not turning the hip (Hip twist) was not removed (Seems it was always called "Turn the hip". )

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yet no mention of that to the student that the tried to manually get to do a SW motion, and a clear don't twist your body description.

I find that highly curious.
Curious only do to your limited experience. But not unique. I experienced numerous instances where people would say or think "That must be OK because General Choi did not correct it. " I may have thought the same initially but later realized he had a certain amount of material to get through and if he tried to fix everything we would never finish. I came to realize he "Put out the hottest fires first" and at successive course where performance seemed to improve across the board details covered became more intricate.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Curious only do to your limited experience. But not unique. I experienced numerous instances where people would say or think "That must be OK because General Choi did not correct it. " I may have thought the same initially but later realized he had a certain amount of material to get through and if he tried to fix everything we would never finish. I came to realize he "Put out the hottest fires first" and at successive course where performance seemed to improve across the board details covered became more intricate.

Not trying to teach everything at one time is very hard for some new instructors to learn. Been there myself.
I find the biggest challenge sometimes is just conveying material in a way(s) that everyone can understand and benefit from. Too many times I have thought "I will just show them" only to find that it just doesn't work for everyone. People learn differently.

Latest Discussions