Kenpo Stylists

What Kenpo/Kempo do you study?

• American Kenpo (Ed Parker's creation in any of its stages)

• Tracy's (as created by the Tracy brothers)

• Shaolin Kenpo

• Kosho Ryu

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

wisdomstrikes

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a 6th degree black belt in Shaolin kempo (Villari), A 5th degree black belt in American Kenpo, and a 2nd degree black belt in Nick Cerio's kenpo. And Although My true heart goes towards the Villari system, I think Ed Parkers kenpo is the most thorough of them all. The only reason why I put the Villari system first is only because of the people I have trained with. They are the original Villari Black belts, and they are the reason I have attained such knowledge of the arts. But American kenpo is a very very close second. I originaly started my training with Nick Cerio but once Villari left and started his own organization I left to train with him. I left Nick Cerio just after receiving my 2nd degree black belt from him.
-WISDOMSTRIKES

OP
T

TIGER DRAGON FIGHT

Shaolin Kempo-for Me. Kempo In General Is Just Awsome. I Look At It As A Mixed Breed-speed Of Kung-fu And Strength Of Karate.

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Someone explain to me what the hell is Shaolin Kempo/kenpo or Chinese Kempo/kenpo???

I hear and see ppl post this all the time ,but there is no actual Shaolin Kempo or Chinese Kempo.

Although ppl use Chuan Fa/Quan Fa to explain it ,the word while used in both the japanese and chinese languages means the same ,but is not the same.

So people see Chuan Fa/Quan Fa and think it means the same as kempo/kenpo ,but it doesn't. Kempo/Kenpo is from Okinawa ,it mixes both japanese and chinese techniques ,but it's not kung fu.

jeff:)

OP
X

XkempoX

wisdomstrikes said:
I have a 6th degree black belt in Shaolin kempo (Villari), A 5th degree black belt in American Kenpo, and a 2nd degree black belt in Nick Cerio's kenpo. And Although My true heart goes towards the Villari system, I think Ed Parkers kenpo is the most thorough of them all. The only reason why I put the Villari system first is only because of the people I have trained with. They are the original Villari Black belts, and they are the reason I have attained such knowledge of the arts. But American kenpo is a very very close second. I originaly started my training with Nick Cerio but once Villari left and started his own organization I left to train with him. I left Nick Cerio just after receiving my 2nd degree black belt from him.
-WISDOMSTRIKES
Since you've studied both system (Shaolin and American), are there any similarities between the two, as far as forms, combinations or maneuvers are concern? Or are they totally different from each other? Would appreciate your input on this.
smileJap.gif

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Tiger Fist said:
Someone explain to me what the hell is Shaolin Kempo/kenpo or Chinese Kempo/kenpo???

I hear and see ppl post this all the time ,but there is no actual Shaolin Kempo or Chinese Kempo.

Although ppl use Chuan Fa/Quan Fa to explain it ,the word while used in both the japanese and chinese languages means the same ,but is not the same.

So people see Chuan Fa/Quan Fa and think it means the same as kempo/kenpo ,but it doesn't. Kempo/Kenpo is from Okinawa ,it mixes both japanese and chinese techniques ,but it's not kung fu.

"Karate", "Kung Fu", "Kenpo", "Jujitsu", etc. have all become generic names to describe hundreds of systems of martial arts.
It is no longer possible to just say that someone pratices "karate" or "jujitsu". There are just too many systems and subsystems of these arts.
"Kenpo/Kempo" has become the same way. Even in Japan and Okinawa you couldn't just refer to your art as "Kempo".
Most of the "Kenpo" practiced in America comes from the Mitose/Chow lineages of Hawaii. And as has already been discussed several times here, the roots of Hawaiian Kenpo are uncertain to say the least. As these Hawaiian kenpo systems evolved and changed, they were given names to separate them from other kenpo systems. Most names giving credit to the developer, or region of origin, or emphasis on type of techniques.
I'm sure the Shaolin Kenpo/Kempo practitioners just want to identify themselves with their emphasis on the Chinese elements contained in kenpo. While the American Kenpo people want to identify themselves with the modifications that SGM Parker added to kenpo after he moved to mainland America.
There is also "American Karate", "American Tae Kwon Do", "Chinese Karate" etc,etc, etc. A name is just a name.

Check this link for a listing of Hawaiian Kenpo subsystems

http://kajukenboinfo.com/kenpofamilytree.cfm

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
"Karate", "Kung Fu", "Kenpo", "Jujitsu", etc. have all become generic names to describe hundreds of systems of martial arts.
It is no longer possible to just say that someone pratices "karate" or "jujitsu". There are just too many systems and subsystems of these arts.
:asian: Mr. Bishop,

This is interesting. In your opinion do you think it would be incorrect to tell people that you study karate if you are a Kenpo stylist? I usually will tell people karate, because it provides some frame of reference for people who have little or no knowledge of martial studies.

Thanks,
MJ :asian:

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
:asian: Mr. Bishop,

This is interesting. In your opinion do you think it would be incorrect to tell people that you study karate if you are a Kenpo stylist? I usually will tell people karate, because it provides some frame of reference for people who have little or no knowledge of martial studies.

Thanks,
I guess it depends on who your talking to. Most people not in the arts consider everything done in a gi; "karate". So most of us just refer to our striking/kicking arts as "karate" around the general public.
Then when you run into someone with some knowledge of the arts, they normally ask "what style"?
And then when you run into someone with some more knowledge of the arts, they tend to ask about "your lineage"?
But if you tell someone in the general public that you practice "kenpo" or "Kajukenbo", they ussually respond with; "what's that, some kind of karate"?:idunno:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Discussion usually went this way:

Questioner: What did you say you do? :idunno:
Me: Kenpo Karate :supcool:
Questioner: Hunh? What's that? :idunno:
Me: It's like Kung Fu mixed with Karate. :ultracool
Questioner: Oh. :idunno:
Me: Yes, it involves a lot of slapping and stomping. :rolleyes:
Questioner: Do you need to wear a mullet? :rolleyes:
Me: No. :uhyeah:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
I guess it depends on who your talking to.
:cool:That's how I feel too. I like how you put it!

OldFatKenpoka said:
Discussion usually went this way:

Questioner: What did you say you do? :idunno:
Me: Kenpo Karate :supcool:
Questioner: Hunh? What's that? :idunno:
Me: It's like Kung Fu mixed with Karate. :ultracool
Questioner: Oh. :idunno:
Me: Yes, it involves a lot of slapping and stomping. :rolleyes:
Questioner: Do you need to wear a mullet? :rolleyes:
Me: No. :uhyeah:
PERFECT! :D

Thanks guys,

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
I guess it depends on who your talking to. Most people not in the arts consider everything done in a gi; "karate". So most of us just refer to our striking/kicking arts as "karate" around the general public.
Then when you run into someone with some knowledge of the arts, they normally ask "what style"?
And then when you run into someone with some more knowledge of the arts, they tend to ask about "your lineage"?
But if you tell someone in the general public that you practice "kenpo" or "Kajukenbo", they ussually respond with; "what's that, some kind of karate"?:idunno:
John,

Thank you very much for that informative explanation:supcool:

That was a very good explanation ,it answered all my questions.

OP
J

jay72

Hello
My first post.
I study Prof.Nick Cerio's Kenpo & JuiJitsu ..
I am a newbie yellow belt @ 31 yrs of age Its a new way of life lol
my son is a purple belt hesbeen with the school for a yr and a half ..
He wanted me to get healthy and stop smoking and start karate so i stoped smoking and 6 moths later i joined .I am truly glad i did...
my teachers are wonderfull people to be around .
well thats it for me BTW nice forum.
take care
Jason

OP
K

KenpoGuy71

I chose 'other' as I have the most experience in Chinese Kempo (Prof. Chow's lineage / Kara Ho), as I trained in it over a 7 year period.

I have the greatest affinity with EPAK in which I trained for about 3 years...

I am currently on a hiatus from any training, due to a knee injury (torn meniscus and a torn Patella tendon) sustained during training (BJJ). But, my goal is to get back to training in EPAK within the next year (provided my injury heals properly), and hopefully with Dr. Chapel.

I've also had some experience with Japanese Jujutsu, Japanese Swordmanship, Tai Ji (with some Xing Yi and Ba Gua), BJJ, JKD, Kyokushinkai and Ashihara Karate over the past 25 years.

Happy Holidays!

KG

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess I’m another other. I train in Shorinji Kempo, and have done so since 1988. From what I have seen it is quite different to American Kempo.

I too suffer from the, what do you do? Oh Shorinji Kempo, what’s that like? It would be totally wrong for me to say that I do Karate, as Shorinji Kempo is very different to Karate.

There is a couple of links in my signature block if anyone’s interested in learning more.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bahenlaura said:
In this short time I have seen so much information, so many Techs, so many forms, that one cannot possibly master or even get close to knowing it well during his/her lifetime. Everyone is so busy looking for that ultimate art, when all along it is you who makes it the ultimate art. Complex, simplicity is the key. That is why I only live, breathe Kenpo. In it, I have found a universe of wonder and intrigue. Your Brother in Art
:asian:
Very well said, Mr. Eskandarion. Hope you, Mrs. Eskandarion, Sibok & everyone in Wichita are doing well.

Your Kenpo Sister,
Gin-Gin :asian:

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Personaly i'm learning american kenpo from larry tatums tapes and using it to supplement my training. My Instructor also holds a BB in kenpo (but he dosn't teach it) and therefore can check for mistakes when he has time. Also i call all martial arts karate when talking to non martial artists cause ppl think if they havn't heard of it and if i say kung fu which my main style is related to they think of modern wushu done by jackie chan and jet li

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
NEw here, but am on martialartsplanet, and kempotalk.com, and kempoinfo.com

My main style is Nick Cerio/Shaolin Kempo with BJJ/Eskrima/Mua Thai/MMa all added in.
From San Diego, California, and my master is a 5th degree black belt, soon going for his 6th, and has been taking martial arts since he was almost 9.

Latest Discussions