How long do you think you'd last?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is suggesting that they'd be prepared for everything. I do know that I've spent enough time in the wilderness that I could survive on my own for a couple months, if I had basic survival gear (knife and flint). Like I said above, if the first night is rainy, that would be the toughest. If it was dry I'm pretty sure I'd be fine for a while, until either help arrived or I decided to start hiking and start searching for civilization.

Have you read all the posts?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I feel about having to agree with you ;)

When I were a lad, our house had single glazing and the heating was restricted to an open fire in one room.

It wasn't uncommon at all to wake up in the morning and find real proper ice on the inside of the windows and the glass of water you took to bed last night frozen solid.

When we lived in France (in a mobile home in the garden while working on the house) our memory thermometer recorded -15°c on much more than one occasion overnight - we had to put water in the fridge overnight if us or the dog wanted liquid to drink the next morning because the fridge was the only place to stay above freezing - the pipes were frozen every morning and had to be thawed with a blowtorch.

I hate being cold, I don't find it enjoyable in the slightest - but I can deal with it.
yes me too, i used to put orange juice in a plastic cup in the kitchen so i could have an iced lolly the next day, the blankets on the bed were so heavy it was like being an earthquake victim with a loverly hot water bottle and a couple of layers of clothing and you could get frostbite going for a wee

i can't abide central heating now, fell like i cant breath if they have it in the 70s, but do like to keep the temp above 50, getting soft in my old age

a few years back i was living in a high rise that was so cold, i used to go and sit on the landing by the lifts as it was 10 degrees warmer

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes me too, i used to put orange juice in a plastic cup in the kitchen so i could have an iced lolly the next day, the blankets on the bed were so heavy it was like being an earthquake victim with a loverly hot water bottle and a couple of layers of clothing and you could get frostbite going for a wee

i can't abide central heating now, fell like i cant breath if they have it in the 70s, but do like to keep the temp above 50, getting soft in my old age

a few years back i was living in a high rise that was so cold, i used to go and sit on the landing by the lifts as it was 10 degrees warmer

Ee when I were a lad...………………….
Monty Python: The 4 Yorkshiremen

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your running drugs by plane from canada,? that's not generally how the business works. but i've answered the question frequently, you just keep asking it again

hide your drugs and walk for a couple of days till you get to a phone, ring the cartel who undoubtedly have a contract out on you by now, call an uber and book into a hotel and have a nice long soak, then rent a pack mule and go and retrieve your drugs
We live in a county with about the same population as Brentwood, Essex (yea, I had to look it up). The population is spread out enough that there is no uber service yet it is only about 20 miles². To my knowledge there is still only one part time taxi cab. There are areas that a person walking would have to be above average in fitness to find another person in a days time.

So contrary to your dense population/city life upbringing, not everyone, everywhere has the ability to flag down a taxi or use their uber app. Hell, I haven't seen a working public pay phone in I don't know when for that matter.
I guess you are some kind of ironic glass half full idealist because you make everything sound like it should be a piece of cake.
Your posts do make me smile and laugh out loud sometimes.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
We live in a county with about the same population as Brentwood, Essex (yea, I had to look it up). The population is spread out enough that there is no uber service yet it is only about 20 miles². To my knowledge there is still only one part time taxi cab. There are areas that a person walking would have to be above average in fitness to find another person in a days time.

Is that 20 square miles?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, did the ASCII not show up?

Yes, was just checking we were on the same page terminology wise.

So, that would be a square with sides measuring about 4.5miles?

Unless the population of ~70,000 all live in one house in one corner and you're in the opposite corner, surely you'd have to be spectacularly unfit to not find another person in a day?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

So contrary to your dense population/city life upbringing, not everyone, everywhere has the ability to flag down a taxi or use their uber app. Hell, I haven't seen a working public pay phone in I don't know when for that matter.
I guess you are some kind of ironic glass half full idealist because you make everything sound like it should be a piece of cake.
Your posts do make me smile and laugh out loud sometimes.

do you live in washington state, if not a fail to see what it has to do with being stranded in washing state, which has the same population as london, abet a bit more spread out, but thats 7 million people that could use a taxi service. if your telling me there no taxis in washing state, i shall sell up move over and start one

The UK isnt at all densely populated, the cities are, but there a significant amount of countryside in between, i to could walk for a day and not see anyone at all, its not an american thing,

and if you get up to PDG neck of the woods there nothing but a few shacks ( and glasgow) for a 400 miles, there no civilisation worthy of the name past preston

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
do you live in washington state, if not a fail to see what it has to do with being stranded in washing state, which has the same population as london, abet a bit more spread out, but thats 7 million people that could use a taxi service. if your telling me there no taxis in washing state, i shall sell up move over and start one

The UK isnt at all densely populated, the cities are, but there a significant amount of countryside in between, i to could walk for a day and not see anyone at all, its not an american thing,

and if you get up to PDG neck of the woods there nothing but a few shacks for a 100 miles
When the smaller states are the size of England then, yea it is. It is a different lifestyle in our rural areas. We cannot be as dependent on public transportation some parts of the world.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, was just checking we were on the same page terminology wise.

So, that would be a square with sides measuring about 4.5miles?

Unless the population of ~70,000 all live in one house in one corner and you're in the opposite corner, surely you'd have to be spectacularly unfit to not find another person in a day?
It is pretty seriously hill/hollow, low mountain terrain here and gets pretty sparse. 38,000 of the roughly 55,000 live in roughly a 5 square mile area, Dickson proper. There is one state park trail in our county that takes a seasoned hiker 5-6 hours with no 'civilization' in sight. A factor would be navigation. You quite easily may have to walk 10 miles to gain 5 miles in any one direction. I cannot think of anywhere close that a person could walk in a truly straight line for even close to a mile.
I imagine the further east you go in TN and into the Carolinas it only gets more prevalent.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When the smaller states are the size of England then, yea it is. It is a different lifestyle in our rural areas. We cannot be as dependent on public transportation some parts of the world.
im still struggling with the concept of there being no taxi service in washing state , is that what your saying ?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is pretty seriously hill/hollow, low mountain terrain here and gets pretty sparse. 38,000 of the roughly 55,000 live in roughly a 5 square mile area, Dickson proper. There is one state park trail in our county that takes a seasoned hiker 5-6 hours with no 'civilization' in sight. A factor would be navigation. You quite easily may have to walk 10 miles to gain 5 miles in any one direction. I cannot think of anywhere close that a person could walk in a truly straight line for even close to a mile.
I imagine the further east you go in TN and into the Carolinas it only gets more prevalent.

I know you're trying to make it sound challenging, and honestly I get it. For a city dweller it'd be a possibly insurmountable struggle.

For me though it actually sounds like almost the perfect place to find myself 'stranded' with no other people or support ;)

Seriously, to me your description reads like a sales pitch :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To the OP’s question of How long do you think you’d last .... I think all of us here would have the same answer - As long as you had to.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

When I was in college, my apartment was so cold a wharf rat literally fell asleep on my bed. I was so tired (and malnourished at the time) it took a while for me to wake up enough to realize I didn't own a cat.
just googled, there is indeed an uber in washing state
Of course we have Uber. Why are you talking about Uber? Did I miss a post where you're saying you could just call an Uber from the middle of the Olympic Rainforest? Hahaha... you're joking right? It's literally a million square miles.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was in college, my apartment was so cold a wharf rat literally fell asleep on my bed. I was so tired (and malnourished at the time) it took a while for me to wake up enough to realize I didn't own a cat.
Of course we have Uber. Why are you talking about Uber? Did I miss a post where you're saying you could just call an Uber from the middle of the Olympic Rainforest? Hahaha... you're joking right? It's literally a million square miles.

LITERALLY a MILLION square miles ? are you sure, that several times larger than the whole state

perhaps you mean a million acres, which is massively smaller than a million square miles, its actual about 1500 square miles, are you sure youve been there?, which means worse case your only about 70 miles from getting somewhere and it seems to have roads and picnic areas im sure uber would pick you up and just to add salt it's not a rainforest

your confusing it with brazil aren't you

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
LITERALLY a MILLION square miles ? are you sure, that several times larger than the whole state

perhaps you mean a million acres, which is massively smaller than a million square miles, its actual about 1500 square miles, are you sure youve been there?, which means worse case your only about 70 miles from getting somewhere and it seems to have roads and picnic areas im sure uber would pick you up and just to add salt it's not a rainforest

your confusing it with brazil aren't you
Haha. Sorry. Literally a million acres. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not freezing to death any time soon.

20191210_162058.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Try the North York Dales and Moors, we don't have public transport, we have a lot of wilderness with equally wild weather and the sheep outnumber the people by 100 to one. We have people who wander up here thinking it's 'just a walk' and end up having to call out Mountain Rescue and the air ambulance ( we rely on it to get casualties to hospital). I used to live near the Cairngorms in Scotland, did my mountain leadership quals there, it's a treacherous place if you aren't prepared and/or are unlucky. The UK is by no means a safe place because it's small. Dartmoor and Exmoor are infamous for killing unwary people. The Brecon Beacons are used by the SAS to train and it's killed some of them. There's other places too but these are the ones I'm most familiar with.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What I didn't see addressed is the objective, of which there are likely two:

1. To survive in the wilderness for x amount of time, or
2. to make it to civilization.

If it's the first, I'm likely a goner.

If it's the second... I should be okay. Key word, obviously, is "should."

I've walked 23 miles once, and once I got about two-thirds of the way through, I started feeling a very bad pain in my legs, as if I was tearing muscles and/or ligaments (I don't think I really did, though). It took about three days for my legs to feel normal again.

That being said, if I was trying to find my way towards civilization, I would try to limit my walking to about ten miles per day.

If, as a previous poster said, you're never more than 70 miles away from civilization (which I definitely believe to be the case in the US and Western Europe); that's the easiest part.

Where it becomes questionable is the fact that, even if you make it to civilization, you're showing up empty handed and are at the mercy of the people's hospitality. I think that's where the real challenge begins.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go watch First Blood...

Last edited:

Latest Discussions