How long do you think you'd last?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread got me curious about something....

In the dojo that you train - when I say you I mean anybody and everybody reading this thread - if you get into an argument, a name calling, somewhat heated argument, are there any repercussions from the chief instructors?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the dojo that you train - when I say you I mean anybody and everybody reading this thread - if you get into an argument, a name calling, somewhat heated argument, are there any repercussions from the chief instructors?
I think if it had ever happened twice, I’d have been out of the dojo.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's not something that has ever happened to my knowledge, and tbh I can't really see anything happening that would cause it.

The closest things I can think of were a couple of kids being sent out early for inappropriate behaviour - and one person who is on short time due to certain ongoing remarks they make... It's been casually raised with them which stopped it for a time, but if it does continue again they'll likely be out.

From my perspective though this thread hasn't contained a heated debate - I've simply prodded a bit in a facetious manner (which isn't uncommon over here, it's all part of friendly banter).

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Well, if you look at pdg's first response to me... I've never experienced being talked to in a condescending tone like that in the dojo, nor have I seen it happen to anyone else.

But you can bet that I'm not going to let it slide if it did happen.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, if you look at pdg's first response to me... I've never experienced being talked to in a condescending tone like that in the dojo, nor have I seen it happen to anyone else.

But you can bet that I'm not going to let it slide if it did happen.

Here's my first response to you:

I can't remember ever having 3 full meals a day, maybe before I was a teenager... But that's not indicative of calorific intake.

Ditto 8 hours of sleep - not since teenage years, even then it was rare. For the last 30+ years I've probably averaged 5-6 hours sleep per day at best. In fact, 6 hours constitutes a lie-in for me.

In my early 20s I did a bit of a hike - 5 days solo unsupported on Dartmoor. I carried all my food (stuff like granola bars for breakfast/snacks and tins (i.e. of corned beef) for main evening meal. Bedding down in a bivvy bag happened when it was too dark to walk.

I think I still have the map somewhere that I recorded my route on, roughly 170 miles - and I was hardly pressing on. And I was carrying a rucksack (bivvy, sleeping bag, stove, food, couple of tools, some water, etc.) I would've stayed longer and gone further, but for getting back for work.

There's no way I managed to take in my rda of calories ;)

You don't need to maintain food intake for low energy activities like walking, it might get a little uncomfortable after a day or two if you eat nothing but it won't kill you - it'd probably make 90+% of the western population more healthy actually.

Hydration is the main thing.

Dehydration can kill in a few days.

Absolute starvation can take weeks to kill you, and if you have sporadic food every few days you can survive months or even years - sure, you won't be running around much without some serious conditioning but it's pretty much what we're built to cope with.

If you consider that condescending then you'd not last a day in the UK before dying of anger related stress.

Subsequent responses of mine were orders of magnitude more polite than what would have been offered face to face (from me or pretty much anyone I know) given your apparent attitude. They were also more polite than the responses you gave.

It must also be remembered that it was you, not I, who initiated any form of name calling (directly calling me "dummy") and who went on to swear at me in a very poorly disguised fashion.

So while I may have strayed into the realms of condescension (albeit not in my first response) at least I managed to retain my composure and refrain from getting into base level offensiveness.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's my first response to you:

If you consider that condescending then you'd not last a day in the UK before dying of anger related stress.

Subsequent responses of mine were orders of magnitude more polite than what would have been offered face to face (from me or pretty much anyone I know) given your apparent attitude. They were also more polite than the responses you gave.

It must also be remembered that it was you, not I, who initiated any form of name calling (directly calling me "dummy") and who went on to swear at me in a very poorly disguised fashion.

So while I may have strayed into the realms of condescension (albeit not in my first response) at least I managed to retain my composure and refrain from getting into base level offensiveness.

No, what happened was that you got out-shittalked, and now you're trying to frame it as if you're the victim. Not gonna work.

I'm gonna say this: if you want to engage in a $hit-talking contest with me, you're gonna lose. The way you came at me about the Italian prison system... you saw the results of that.

You don't get to come at me sideways, and then criticize my character when it's your turn to be on the receiving end.

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, what happened was that you got out-shittalked, and now you're trying to frame it as if you're the victim. Not gonna work.

I'm gonna say this: if you want to engage in a $hit-talking contest with me, you're gonna lose. The way you came at me about the Italian prison system... you saw the results of that.

You don't get to come at me sideways, and then criticize my character when it's your turn to be on the receiving end.

Meh.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What on earth was condescending about that? You are slightly mad got hiking across Dartmoor alone, somewhere I know quite well, though I am very impressed by you doing it. It's a bugger of a place.

I think you may have realised by now that our friend doesn't like Brits, we had a little contretemps on another thread ( which got locked) when he started with the insults and swearing. His miscomprehension led to him think I'd said something I hadn't. However I don't intend to rehash it but it's just a heads up for you before this gets locked too.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are slightly mad got hiking across Dartmoor alone, somewhere I know quite well, though I am very impressed by you doing it. It's a bugger of a place

I don't think it's that bad actually. It definitely deserves respect, but not fear imo.

If you can read the ground, read a map (I went pre GPS, I did have an analogue mobile phone but it was simply ballast due to complete lack of reception) and are sensible enough to hunker down if it gets foggy/dark/etc instead of wandering around blindly there's no real reason to end up on it's bad side.

I'm aware that people who were probably better prepared than me have become casualties there, but really that's a case of them not being as capable as they think or sheer bad luck.

In fact I'm certain some were better prepared - my preparation amounted to buying some food and puritabs for water and informing my parents I was buggering off for the week. Maybe it's a genetic thing because my dad used to do similar and they weren't phased by my doing it...

If I was dumped there with no provisions I'm almost certain I could 'escape' in a day or two - again, reading the ground and reading the sky is the key to that instead of staggering around in circles crying because I missed breakfast and can't find a road.

I'd love to do it again (family and associated commitments notwithstanding), but it certainly wouldn't happen this time of year... Only because I'm too old to be sleeping in the rain for fun.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What on earth was condescending about that?

Read where your friend came at me about the Italian prison system.

I think you may have realised by now that our friend doesn't like Brits, we had a little contretemps on another thread ( which got locked) when he started with the insults and swearing. His miscomprehension led to him think I'd said something I hadn't. However I don't intend to rehash it but it's just a heads up for you before this gets locked too.

First off, I didn't know pdg was a Brit until she said it. Secondly... she brought up the fact that I'm American and used it as an insult.

I didn't even attack Brits in retaliation.

Tunnel vision like a mofo.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read where your friend came at me about the Italian prison system.

First off, I didn't know pdg was a Brit until she said it. Secondly... she brought up the fact that I'm American and used it as an insult.

I didn't even attack Brits in retaliation.

Tunnel vision like a mofo.

Ah Rusty, Rusty, Rusty, my dear boy, ever the naïf.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's that bad actually. It definitely deserves respect, but not fear imo.

If you can read the ground, read a map (I went pre GPS, I did have an analogue mobile phone but it was simply ballast due to complete lack of reception) and are sensible enough to hunker down if it gets foggy/dark/etc instead of wandering around blindly there's no real reason to end up on it's bad side.

I'm aware that people who were probably better prepared than me have become casualties there, but really that's a case of them not being as capable as they think or sheer bad luck.

In fact I'm certain some were better prepared - my preparation amounted to buying some food and puritabs for water and informing my parents I was buggering off for the week. Maybe it's a genetic thing because my dad used to do similar and they weren't phased by my doing it...

If I was dumped there with no provisions I'm almost certain I could 'escape' in a day or two - again, reading the ground and reading the sky is the key to that instead of staggering around in circles crying because I missed breakfast and can't find a road.

I'd love to do it again (family and associated commitments notwithstanding), but it certainly wouldn't happen this time of year... Only because I'm too old to be sleeping in the rain for fun.

Have you tried Exmoor as well? We also have some pretty cool trails to follow 'oop' north, the Coast to Coast is a bit crowded these days but the Lyke Wake Walk is still pretty good.
We still teach the Guides map reading and the use of a compass, you can't beat it for back up when the GPs is on the blink plus it's a good skill to have.

Reactions: pdg

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ah Rusty, Rusty, Rusty, my dear boy, ever the naïf.

Woah, you just learned a cool new word that you couldn't wait to use!

Too bad it it doesn't even fit the context of this discussion. You should have waited, son.

If you want out, all you had to do was say that you were finished. But these face-saving dismissals that you and your girl make attempts at are hilarious!

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you tried Exmoor as well? We also have some pretty cool trails to follow 'oop' north, the Coast to Coast is a bit crowded these days but the Lyke Wake Walk is still pretty good.
We still teach the Guides map reading and the use of a compass, you can't beat it for back up when the GPs is on the blink plus it's a good skill to have.

I did a small section of the c2c many years ago - I wouldn't mind biking it, but it's a long trek to do a day's ride (well, nearly 2 days I imagine in my current condition).

If I was to do it, I'd have to extend it out to a week or so by riding from here and making a loop of it.

The closest I've got to 'trying' Exmoor was an official campsite - it's nice from that cursory viewpoint, but I'd want to wander to really get a feel for it. Trails are alright, but getting away from them is almost always better.

I think this highlights the differences between people and how they treat the outdoors and hugely skews this whole discussion about survival...

While I haven't had the opportunity to do it for a while, my idea of one type of nice holiday is to head into relative wilderness by myself - I'd take a few tools, food (a small amount by a lot of standards), some water (plus treatment tabs) and basic weather protection like a bivvy, possibly a little petrol stove. No need for a tent or many other things most would consider essential.

I think a lot of people nowadays would look at that as an extreme survival situation, because glamping is roughing it...

Of course, the only real issue with doing it now is the variable legality of wild camping - but I'm pretty sure the areas that would interest me are sparsely populated enough that I'd go unnoticed.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my idea of one type of nice holiday is to head into relative wilderness

Ah mine is to go somewhere hot and lie on a beach, and stay somewhere where I don't need my wellies. I do love where I live but every so often do feel the need to head to civilisation, see an opera or play and eat in a nice restaurant. I don't want to stay long just enough so when I get home I can appreciate the hills and moors again.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah mine is to go somewhere hot and lie on a beach

Well, that's alright for an hour or so I suppose :D

We went to Tenerife on holiday - probably spent a total of about an hour on the beach, most of which was walking, and the rest of the time was up in the hills - except for that bad plan of going on a glass bottom boat trip where they shut up for the day after we got back because it was too rough and I spent the entire time clinging to a bench while the crew ignored the no smoking signs and fed me constant cigs to shut me up... I'm not a boat fan.

Or the time we went to Spain, flew into Malaga and got in the hire car and left - didn't see the tourist beaches again until it was time to fly home.

I'll admit, warmth and lack of wellies is great - but I couldn't accept sitting on a beach as the trade off.

Oh, and the civilisation bit - I consider sheep far more civilised than the majority of city dwellers and I'd rather watch the family of red kite hunting in the field behind my house than watch a play or opera ;)

Imagine how dull the world would be if we all liked exactly the same things.

In other news, we appear to have exchanged genders :meh:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news, we appear to have exchanged genders :meh:

I noticed, I also noticed the dismissive attitude when he thought he was talking to a woman. No place for misogyny on this site.

We go down to the South of France for a couple of weeks and just chill, it's nice for that length of time, the locals go on winter holidays, skiing etc for their break lol. We also go down to Cornwall out of season when it's quiet and moody, waves crashing over the rocks. Hot chocolate and egg banjos after a long windswept walk, lovely.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tez3 said:
Now that is really funny! thanks for the laugh.

Yeah, it's funny because THIS reply shows that you're chasing the last word, so... I was arguing with TWO women the whole time!

You can have it. You gotta let the ladies have the last word.