How long do you think you'd last?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep in mind, that's the time in the day. It will get a lot colder at night. If you can set up a shelter and figure out a way to dry off, then take off all the wet clothes you might be alright, but then you'll be naked in a cold forest. With no supplies.
++ but you said 40 degrees was dangerous, now your saying some unspecified lower temp is dangerous

not pleasant, but ultimately survivable.

id draw your attention to the millions fighting in the trenches of the first world war, soaking wet with temps well, well below low freezing and yet most managed to live long enough to die by machine gun fire

you're clearly not an out door type

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
++ but you said 40 degrees was dangerous, now your saying some unspecified lower temp is dangerous

not pleasant, but ultimately survivable.

id draw your attention to the millions fighting in the trenches of the first world war, soaking wet with temps well, well below low freezing and yet most managed to live long enough to die by machine gun fire

you're clearly not an out door type
I never said 40 was dangerous. Id have to go back but I think you're referring to flying crane. I just looked at the temperature in olympia washington, the lowest it's supposed to get tonight is 28, with no chance of rain which is definitely doable.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
How long do you think you would survive all alone in the wilderness with no food or shelter?

With some basic equipment....knife, rope, small axe or hatchet, a cooking pot, fire starter, and warm Clothes.....no problem. Without that....not so much.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never said 40 was dangerous. Id have to go back but I think you're referring to flying crane. I just looked at the temperature in olympia washington, the lowest it's supposed to get tonight is 28, with no chance of rain which is definitely doable.
I do say that 40 degrees can be dangerous, given the scenario described to me by the OP in posts 8 and 12: jeans and a light jacket (I am assuming NOT a rain jacket) with zero supplies, no food, no water, no camping equipment, and in the rain.

Try an experiment: the next time the temperature reaches 40, put on some jeans, tee-shirt, light jacket, and hiking boots. Step into a cold shower and get good and soaked. Now go outside after nightfall, preferably in the rain, and see how long it takes before you are shivering uncontrollably. Once that happens, if you have no way to dry off, no way to get warm, and no food, hypothermia is inevitable if the weather does not improve soon. Your body will burn a lot of calories trying to stay warm, but without food that is a losing battle.

It could happen in warmer temperature than 40, it just takes longer. 50s, 60s? Sure.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do say that 40 degrees can be dangerous, given the scenario described to me by the OP in posts 8 and 12: jeans and a light jacket (I am assuming NOT a rain jacket) with zero supplies, no food, no water, no camping equipment, and in the rain.

Try an experiment: the next time the temperature reaches 40, put on some jeans, tee-shirt, light jacket, and hiking boots. Step into a cold shower and get good and soaked. Now go outside after nightfall, preferably in the rain, and see how long it takes before you are shivering uncontrollably. Once that happens, if you have no way to dry off, no way to get warm, and no food, hypothermia is inevitable if the weather does not improve soon. Your body will burn a lot of calories trying to stay warm, but without food that is a losing battle.

It could happen in warmer temperature than 40, it just takes longer. 50s, 60s? Sure.
Again, the weather report i got for olympia said no rain. I have slept outside in those temperatures in a shelter i made for myself, for a merit badge way back and was fine.

Incidentally, one of my first (bsa) camping trips, it was raining in november, probably about 40-50 degrees. I knew nothing of camping safety, got soaked, got my tent and sleeping bag soaked. Ended up with hypothermia. Likely would have ended up in the hospital if my brother didn't help me out. So I know water can be killer.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With some basic equipment....knife, rope, small axe or hatchet, a cooking pot, fire starter, and warm Clothes.....no problem. Without that....not so much.
I had a couple times where I planned on heading out to the adirondacks with exactly that for a summer and seeing how I fared. Something came up the first few summers and i always figured I could do it next summer. Now that idea is gone, I highly doubt my job would give me 2 months off for something like that.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again, the weather report i got for olympia said no rain. I have slept outside in those temperatures in a shelter i made for myself, for a merit badge way back and was fine.

Incidentally, one of my first (bsa) camping trips, it was raining in november, probably about 40-50 degrees. I knew nothing of camping safety, got soaked, got my tent and sleeping bag soaked. Ended up with hypothermia. Likely would have ended up in the hospital if my brother didn't help me out. So I know water can be killer.
Well yeah. And I’m responding based on the parameters given to me by the OP.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

is it warm where you live coz 40 is warm here in the winter and i do go out in cold and the rain wearing just a tshirt and shorts and get soaked, frequently on my mountain bike, which in itself is a lot warmer than getting soaked on a motor bike, which ive also done an awful lot

really your not going to get hypothermia at 40, a bit chilly perhaps, maybe even a shiver or two, but not dead

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well yeah. And I’m responding based on the parameters given to me by the OP.
I was too. op said washington state, and said it was raining there. I looked at washington state and it said it's not raining. I also made it clear in my post that with no rain that temperature is doable.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
you really don't need meat to survive, you can argue about balanced diets in the long term, but its not an issue over a few weeks or months.

that said protein is a lot easier to find than complex carbohydrates, just turn a log over, best to swallow them whole

im not well up on the ecology of washing
state, but in the uk with have lots and lots of nettles and you can live on nettles for a prolonged period of time, best to swallow them whole as well
my first assumption was that washington state would be similar to my part of the world new england. by october its can be down to freezing temperatures. snow and ice. with that assumption meat is the primary source of food during the winter. vegetables and greens wont be there for you to survive.

on a side note i was just watching Glenn Villeneuve on Joe Rogan, it took him years to learn and plan to live in the wilderness.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
my first assumption was that washington state would be similar to my part of the world new england. by october its can be down to freezing temperatures. snow and ice. with that assumption meat is the primary source of food during the winter. vegetables and greens wont be there for you to survive.

on a side note i was just watching Glenn Villeneuve on Joe Rogan, it took him years to learn and plan to live in the wilderness.
and yet the early european settlers had it sorted in a few weeks, well all the ones that weren't eaten by bears, it really cant take years, what was it a PHd
i went on a foraging course in the local woods, took two hours and gave the dog a walk that and my scout bivouac training and im good to go

Last edited:
OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score

In this scenario it is 41 degrees with a 100 percent chance of rain. I think I looked up the weather in Seattle earlier in the day when I made the post just as an example to go by. But in this scenario you are 41 degrees with a 100 percent chance of rain in the Washington State wilderness. No supplies just jeans, shirt and light jacket.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
my first assumption was that washington state would be similar to my part of the world new england.

Pretty close Washington state to New England (Boston) temp wise in Dec. Looks like New England 2.4 degrees warmer.
Average minimum temperature in Seattle in December is (35.6°F). the average min temperature average in december in Boston is 38°F.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In this scenario it is 41 degrees with a 100 percent chance of rain. I think I looked up the weather in Seattle earlier in the day when I made the post just as an example to go by. But in this scenario you are 41 degrees with a 100 percent chance of rain in the Washington State wilderness. No supplies just jeans, shirt and light jacket.
yes just walk for a couple of days, find somewhere sheltered to sleep and drink rain, you'll be just fine after a hot bath

NB you should always wear sensible shoes in case aliens abduct you and drop you in washington state, don't say you weren't warned

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No shoes or underwear? Im not wearing my glasses? This is unfortunate.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No shoes or underwear? Im not wearing my glasses? This is unfortunate.

Well I would be totally screwed with my glasses as well. I would just be walking into pine trees the whole time!

But yes you can have your shoes and glasses in this scenario. Underwear as well unless if you like going commando!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
and yet the early european settlers had it sorted in a few weeks, well all the ones that weren't eaten by bears, it really cant take years, what was it a PHd
i went on a foraging course in the local woods, took two hours and gave the dog a walk that and my scout bivouac training and im good to go

I usually will not reply to these type argument posts but for everyone else.
I gave his name Glen V. He was on the national geographic show life below zero. Now as I already mentioned I assumed Washington state would have below freezing winters. Glenn is a good example for the OP question because hee did exactly the proposed situation with the exception that he is in upper Alaska. He did a lot of research first and new he needed it. He had to start with 3 months of food supplies. He had never hunted before but had a rifle, fishing gear and tools like axes and shovels. He almost didn't make it. The only way he was able to survive was all of his studies.
Like I said what will kill you is your ignorance. I never watched the National Geographic show. I only watched the joe Rogan interview but I learned a lot from just that. Like how parasites eggs will kill you. Remember if your out in the wild there is no medical supplies or help.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I usually will not reply to these type argument posts but for everyone else.
I gave his name Glen V. He was on the national geographic show life below zero. Now as I already mentioned I assumed Washington state would have below freezing winters. Glenn is a good example for the OP question because hee did exactly the proposed situation with the exception that he is in upper Alaska. He did a lot of research first and new he needed it. He had to start with 3 months of food supplies. He had never hunted before but had a rifle, fishing gear and tools like axes and shovels. He almost didn't make it. The only way he was able to survive was all of his studies.
Like I said what will kill you is your ignorance. I never watched the National Geographic show. I only watched the joe Rogan interview but I learned a lot from just that. Like how parasites eggs will kill you. Remember if your out in the wild there is no medical supplies or help.
you said wilderness, now your saying alaska, which is some what colder than new england or indeed washington state, but the same point stands, first the peoples from asia armed only with a bear skin and a spear and then the europeans settler armed only with a horse blanket and a musket colonized the wilderness, including alaska and points north of detroit

So you need an ability to shoot things, catch fish and an ability to build a shelter and a fire, that doesn't take years to achieve, three weeks should do it, if your taking three months food, its a piece of cake you can ignore the first two to the thaw, even alaska thaws. if he can take three months food he can throw in a few basic medical supplies. a few antibiotics go a long way, something neither of the above peoples had the benefit of

its a first world attitude that anything other than their centrally heated technological world is near certain death and the progress of man kind suggests otherwise

i suspect he is building it up to sell a book,so what exactly took years ? your throwing an interview that only you heard in as evidence, it needs some explanation

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm originally a country boy, and a Marine. I can start a fire and build a shelter and hunt / fish. I know where and how to find clean water.

Realistically though, I'm old and need several medications just to stay alive. I suspect I would not last long. My priority would be getting back to civilization quickly.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
you said wilderness, now your saying alaska, which is some what colder than new england or indeed washington state, but the same point stands, first the peoples from asia armed only with a bear skin and a spear and then the europeans settler armed only with a horse blanket and a musket colonized the wilderness, including alaska and points north of detroit

So you need an ability to shoot things, catch fish and an ability to build a shelter and a fire, that doesn't take years to achieve, three weeks should do it, if your taking three months food, its a piece of cake you can ignore the first two to the thaw, even alaska thaws. if he can take three months food he can throw in a few basic medical supplies. a few antibiotics go a long way, something neither of the above peoples had the benefit of

its a first world attitude that anything other than their centrally heated technological world is near certain death and the progress of man kind suggests otherwise

i suspect he is building it up to sell a book,so what exactly took years ? your throwing an interview that only you heard in as evidence, it needs some explanation

This is why I stay away from this Web sight. Too many argumentative numbnuts.
I'm tapping out of this conversation.

Latest Discussions