How long do you think you'd last?

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking of a misdemeanor that Carrie's a 100 dollar fine, not getting caught with 20kg of heroin, if your on two stikes you may need to rethink your stratergy

In that situation, you're only likely to be in a holding cell just long enough for the magistrate to tell your court date and let you go.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That depends on what country you're in. In third world countries; this is out of the question. Same for second world countries (Mexico, Russia, and Turkey are probably the most famous examples) - they're not much better.

Even in some first world countries - like Italy, Japan, and even the US... you might be better off avoiding incarceration unless you're in a life or death situation.

If you're in Western or Northern Europe, I can why you might jump to this sooner.

Italy?

Seriously, Italy?

I can only assume that you've never been there and/or never had any contact with the Italian authorities.

Maybe Sicily in the 30s would have been nasty, but these days it's nothing like the Mafia films...

In that situation, you're only likely to be in a holding cell just long enough for the magistrate to tell your court date and let you go.

You seem to have a very US influenced idea of temporary incarceration.

As in, in the movies when someone gets arrested in the US they're put in a multi occupancy holding cell with 40 people, one called 'bubba' who wants to be very friendly and a group who apparently share the name 'shank' or 'slasher' who threaten you if you go near the open toilet against the back wall. You sit there in fear until a 'judge' or similar gives you a court date.

Over here in Europe, yeah, that doesn't happen.

You get arrested and taken to the station. There, you may have a preliminary interview and your shoelaces taken before being put in a holding cell, alone.

If it's mealtime you get fed, tea and coffee on tap, you have a bed in the cell, at any time you can call for whatever representation you have (or the duty one) and have a chat.

You're generally detained until your identity is properly verified - in most cases if this happens in the night you stay until the morning, when you get breakfast before you leave. Court date, if applicable, you get notified later.

I got arrested when I was 19 - I didn't do anything but there was a burglary in the area and I was just hanging around...

It was about 10pm, I got told at 01:30 there would be no charges (obviously no evidence pointed to me and it was verified that I was me) and I was given the option to stay in the (unlocked) cell if I couldn't sensibly get home.

It's actually not a bad choice tbh. Break a (small, cheap) window and wait for the taxi with the flashing lights.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right, but if you pass out on the street corner from any of that, you're likely to get picked up by an ambulance.

If you're likely to pass out from skipping lunch I recommend booking an appointment with a doctor.

I mean, come off it, passing out?

Anyone in even relatively reasonable health should be able to easily cope with 3-4 days with no food and doing moderate activity.

If you can't manage that without collapsing, then it's either a mental block stopping you or you have an underlying physical condition.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
our forebears, were hunter gathers, they would happily walk 30/ 50 miles a day hunting and gathering, I suspect hunting and gathering is a time consuming business if you are living in an ice age

I imagine that very much like wild animals, there were a great many days that they hunted or gathered nothing more than a rock too.

I'm not saying it's a healthy full time lifestyle choice (their life expectancy was way shorter than ours today) but the physiological capability exists to deal with those conditions.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Italy?

Seriously, Italy?

I can only assume that you've never been there and/or never had any contact with the Italian authorities.

Maybe Sicily in the 30s would have been nasty, but these days it's nothing like the Mafia films...

You were saying?

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
By the way, I've been to Italy numerous times. I was in the Navy for 11 years - an East Coast Sailor. Thankfully, I've never had to experience the inside of an Italian jail or prison.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

You were saying?

The discovery channel? o_O

Now, they would have picked something like an immigration detention centre, one of the worse ones, and likely paid people to present whatever image they wanted for TV.

Extrapolating what is essentially a fabrication for entertainment purposes and saying that's what the situation would be if you were arrested for a minor offence is a bit on the stupid side tbh.

By the way, I've been to Italy numerous times. I was in the Navy for 11 years - an East Coast Sailor. Thankfully, I've never had to experience the inside of an Italian jail or prison.

A navy stopover is woefully insufficient to base an opinion upon.

Especially as you clearly have no idea on the judicial process of the country, highlighted by your opinion that you'd even be put in front of a magistrate to get a court date on the day of your arrest.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

You were saying?

Oh, a quote from that fakeumentary...

"We have no bidet, life is very bad"

Oh the horror - you don't have a device to squirt water at your **** to save you wiping, poor thing.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The discovery channel? o_O

Yes. Or am I supposed to listen to YOU?

Now they would have picked something like an immigration detention centre, one of the worse ones, and likely paid people to present whatever image they wanted for TV.

Extrapolating what is essentially a fabrication for entertainment purposes and saying that's what the situation would be if you were arrested for a minor offence is a bit on the stupid side tbh.

Bro, you were wrong. Just own and stop trying save face.

A navy stopover is woefully insufficient to base an opinion upon.

Ah, at first the question was whether or not I've been to Italy. But since I have... now you want to move the goalpost. Sorry, not working. Your original attempt at a rhetorical question was a fail. Get over it.

Especially as you clearly have no idea on the judicial process of the country, highlighted by your opinion that you'd even be put in front of a magistrate to get a court date on the day of your arrest.

I wasn't talking about Italy, dummy.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh, a quote from that fakeumentary...

"We have no bidet, life is very bad"

Oh the horror - you don't have a device to squirt water at your **** to save you wiping, poor thing.

Are you Donald Trump all of a sudden? As soon as something destroys your argument, you resort to "fake news."

Just stop, bro. You lost.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bro, you were wrong. Just own and stop trying save face.

Only the problem is that I wasn't wrong.

Ah, at first the question was whether or not I've been to Italy. But since I have... now you want to move the goalpost. Sorry, not working. Your original attempt at a rhetorical question was a fail. Get over it.

A visit as a member of the armed forces doesn't count.

Did you even leave the port/base?

I wasn't talking about Italy, dummy

You didn't differentiate.

And you can stop with the name calling thanks, it just makes you look like an idiot.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you Donald Trump all of a sudden? As soon as something destroys your argument, you resort to "fake news."

Just stop, bro. You lost.

I lost in your head.

It's not "fake news", it's not even news. It did nothing whatsoever to destroy my argument. A great many of the discovery channel "investigative reports" have been widely discredited.

Do you realise how stereotypically American you're being?

Oh, and stop calling me bro, I'm not related to you.

Maybe you should eat something, it must've been at least an hour since your last meal, it's affecting your cognitive ability. All those calories burnt from typing obviously need replacing.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Only the problem is that I wasn't wrong.

THE problem is you are. In fact, you're talking out of your ***.

A visit as a member of the armed forces doesn't count.

Did you even leave the port/base?

No visit under ANY circumstance counts when it destroys your argument.

You didn't differentiate.

Italy was also never mentioned in the context. Jesus Christ, man!

And you can stop with the name calling thanks, it just makes you look like an idiot.

No, it shows that I don't have the patience to deal with one.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I lost in your head.

It's not "fake news", it's not even news. It did nothing whatsoever to destroy my argument. A great many of the discovery channel "investigative reports" have been widely discredited.

It's news that you don't like. Hell, you're not even trying to rebut it. All you're trying to do is dismiss it.

Do you realise how stereotypically American you're being?

1. I don't care, and 2. you can kiss my stereotypically American ***.

Oh, and stop calling me bro, I'm not related to you.

You don't like that, bro?

Maybe you should eat something, it must've been at least an hour since your last meal, it's affecting your cognitive ability. All those calories burnt from typing obviously need replacing.

I just did. I ate your stupid arguments for lunch.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yes in the warm with some lunch and your phone call

The phone call, yes... but not necessarily the lunch.

I've only experienced this once. The holding cell at the police station (which is also where you see the magistrate) doesn't feed you. If the magistrate sets a bond, then you're actually going to the jail. Once you get to holding cell at the jail to begin the booking process, that's where they give you a bag lunch.

But if the magistrate lets you go... then you won't get that far.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just did. I ate your stupid arguments for lunch

Well, no, you didn't.

You have no knowledge of the situation outside your own country except for sources of dubious accuracy which you got salty about when it was rightly dismissed as irrelevant.

To be honest, this whole portion of the discussion is pointless, if you're actually starving (not simply a bit peckish) then presenting yourself to the authorities by whatever means necessary is by far the best option.

The thing is though, that to actually get to the point of starvation takes a very long time indeed and is something that I can almost guarantee you've never even got anywhere near - inappropriately nourished maybe, but no way starving.

But anyway, I'm finding you boring now.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, no, you didn't.

As usual - "no you didn't," "that's fake," "that doesn't count." Dismissals without rebuttals. The MO of someone who doesn't know ****.

You have no knowledge of the situation outside your own country except for sources of dubious accuracy which you got salty about when it was rightly dismissed as irrelevant.

I've displayed mine. Yet you can't display $hit beyond "no it's not"

Get the fu¢k outta here, son!

If we're really being honest here, whether or not one has ever been to Italy is irrelevant unless you've actually been locked up in the Italian system. If you haven't... I've got the edge over you, son.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Stop the nastiness, or you can expect account suspensions.

Mark A Cochran
@Dirty Dog
MartialTalk Senior Moderator

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
As usual - "no you didn't," "that's fake," "that doesn't count." Dismissals without rebuttals. The MO of someone who doesn't know ****.

I've displayed mine. Yet you can't display $hit beyond "no it's not"

Get the fu¢k outta here, son!

If we're really being honest here, whether or not one has ever been to Italy is irrelevant unless you've actually been locked up in the Italian system. If you haven't... I've got the edge over you, son.

Can you be a bit more aggressive please, I'm not sure how much you're attracted to me...

Latest Discussions