Drill 1 step 1 punch 1000 times

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve done high rep sessions, doing a couple different types of punches 1000 times each. I tend to do them in segments.

The thing is, high repetition needs to be balanced against fatigue. As you tire, your technique begins to deteriorate. Eventually it is just poor and sloppy technique and that is not good training.

So I don’t advise doing all the reps together. Break it up, switch it around, do things to manage the fatigue issue so the quality of your efforts remains high. Sure, push the limits on endurance but not to the point where it is just sloppy.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have read the following:

When you train the XingYi Pi Chuan (or any punching drill), your arm will go out and then pull back. It's like 1 exhale and 1 inhale. After you have drilled this for 500 meters (assume 1 punch takes 1/2 meter, 500 meters takes about 1000 punches), you breathing will be long, smooth, and deep. Your energy will be built up. You then start to understand the "body breathing". If you have any physical problem, this training can cure that problem. When you get old, your body will be weaker. This training can make your body strong.

I believe to use punch out and pull back as breath out and breath in to coordinate body move with breathing is the main training here.

Ah, now I get it. Thanks, bro.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how long it took them!
I'm going to drill 1000 punches non-stop and see how long that will take (after my lunch has been digested). Since I have to coordinate my punch with my breathing, I assume it will be like slow jogging instead of fast springing.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tend to do them in segments.
Some study said that when you walk 8 miles, in the 1st 4 miles, your body starts to detect your problem. In the 2nd 4 miles, your body start to fix your problem. I strongly believe in that.

I like to wrestle for 15 rounds non-stop. In the last 5 rounds, I don't have any "brute force" left on my body.

I'm not sure to do them in segments can have the same result or not.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know if anyone has done it, AND how long it took them!
I just did XingYi Pi Chuan 1000 times in 42 minutes before I sat back down on my computer. I did 100 punches and turned around. I made 5 loops total (1 loop = 200 punches). After this I'm not even breath hard. I think I can still repeat another 1000 punches without any problem.

I think I'll replace my 3 miles running by 1000 punches from now on. I will try 1000 foot sweeps as well. Not sure 1000 kicks can be good for my knee joint.

After my senior SC brother had heart attack last Christmas (also after my 70 years old birthday), I start to pay more attention on health than just fighting.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
1000 time non-stop...no

But I did take a 5 week period and train
Piquan 100 times a day, non-stop for 7 day (All 5 elements done right side 100 left side 100 so total of 200)
Zuanquan 100 times a day, non-stop for 7 day
Bengquan 100 times a day, non-stop for 7 day
Paoquan 100 times a day, non-stop for 7 day
Hengquan 100 times a day, non-stop for 7 day

Also rotated through all 5 elements for about a 1/2 mile in a covered walk way from my office to the capital building..... sure the Police enjoyed the last 100 feet since that is what the security camera is watching. It was a couple hours before lunch so I was the only one on the walkway. Just realized part of that is walled by glass as it crosses a road.... likely gave anyone who saw that a show too.

Ah wow, much respect.. would love to devote a certain period to training like that!

Also

Back when I briefly trained the Police/Military version of Sanda, my shifu wanted me to train absolutely everything in 500 per leg/arm repetitions, including palm strikes on trees... I only did 100 to 150... he was not happy..... possibly another reason why I no longer train the style

Ah wow.. Yeah there are some hard styles out there...

Oddly, that's the one place it doesn't happen. When I could run distance (currently out of running shape, and my joints may no longer be capable of 5+ miles), I could run 7 miles or more and just let my mind wander.

There's something about running hey... when you get in the 'zone' and

Maybe not exactly 1000, but I often devote whole sessions to one strike or technique.

Love it... I've devoted whole sessions to a single kata before, it's great fun, and just working on different ways to train it and different aspects to focus on (focus exclusively on breathing rhythms, soft/hard balance, stances, posture..)

I have tried to replace my 3 miles running by non-stop MA drill. Instead of using number of reps, I like to use the distance to judge my effort. Here are what I have found out.

To repeat the following drills N times non-stop.

1. jumping kick,
2. non-jumping kick,
3. foot sweep,
4. punch,

For the amount of energy spent, 1 > 2 > 3 > 4

Am getting some great ideas from this thread! Would be great to just shadowspar for a set distance, but would be quite tiring I'd imagine..

I have read the following:

When you train the XingYi Pi Chuan (or any punching drill), your arm will go out and then pull back. It's like 1 exhale and 1 inhale. After you have drilled this for 500 meters (assume 1 punch takes 1/2 meter, 500 meters takes about 1000 punches), you breathing will be long, smooth, and deep. Your energy will be built up. You then start to understand the "body breathing". If you have any physical problem, this training can cure that problem. When you get old, your body will be weaker. This training can make your body strong.

I believe to use punch out and pull back as breath out and breath in to coordinate body move with breathing is the main training here.

That's awesome.. it's such an important thing to work on. So I'm not sure if the breathing is different here compared to what I'm used to, is it exhaling out with the technique, and inhaling during the step forward? I'd love to do a drill like this within a karate technique context, we usually breathe out with the technique which is pretty standard in most places I'd think, and breathing in just comes before it at some stage

I just did XingYi Pi Chuan 1000 times in 42 minutes before I sat back down on my computer. I did 100 punches and turned around. I made 5 loops total (1 loop = 200 punches). After this I'm not even breath hard. I think I can still repeat another 1000 punches without any problem.

I think I'll replace my 3 miles running by 1000 punches from now on. I will try 1000 foot sweeps as well. Not sure 1000 kicks can be good for my knee joint.

After my senior SC brother had heart attack last Christmas (also after my 70 years old birthday), I start to pay more attention on health than just fighting.

Ah much respect, here we are talking about it and you just go ahead and do it, nice! Wow I honestly thought it would take so much longer than 42 minutes!

I know I quoted 7 times... Surely that's illegal. I'M SORRY!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to drill 1000 punches non-stop and see how long that will take (after my lunch has been digested). Since I have to coordinate my punch with my breathing, I assume it will be like slow jogging instead of fast springing.
Let me know at what number your quality has become sloppy. I’ll guess it could be around 300 if you’ve been practicing a lot. Otherwise it could be much less.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let me know at what number your quality has become sloppy. I’ll guess it could be around 300 if you’ve been practicing a lot. Otherwise it could be much less.
Here is my personal experience today (about 3 hours ago). The more that I punched, the better that I felt. My last 300 punches were even better than my first 300 punches. My body just did it automatically without thinking. At the end of 1000 punches, my body had more energy than before I started the drill. It was a good feeling. As I have said, I think I can drill 2000 punches non-stop without any problem. I had done my punching drill on the beach for 1 miles. That's more than 2000 punches.

1 miles = 1609 meter
2 punches per meter, 1609 x 2 = 3218 punches.

It may only works for punches. Not sure it will work for kicks. IMO, a kick will take 3 times more energy than a punch will take.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think I've developed my arm joints to withstand that many punches. The more I think about it, the more I doubt my shoulders would come out okay, and the more certain I am I'd end up with tendinitis in my arms (if I didn't have it already, that is). Perhaps if I'd done more of this along the way, I'd not be going through the joint issues in my arms today.

Or maybe my elbow and shoulder joints are just as crappy as my knee and ankle joints.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think I've developed my arm joints to withstand that many punches.
There is difference between fast spring (for speed) and slow jogging (for endurance). I believe 1000 punches is like slow jogging.

There is also different between a punch that you can

- see the power, and
- don't see the power.

Some people may call that external punch vs. internal punch. Since I'm allergy to the term "internal", I prefer to call that you punch when you

- think about power, and
- don't think about power.

When you don't think about power and just let your body to do it, it will take less energy. May be the following 2 similar punches do take different amount of energy.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think I've developed my arm joints to withstand that many punches.
If you drill "1 step 3 punches" 1000 times, you may hurt your arm joints. But if you drill "1 step 1 punch", since your body is pushing your arm, it will put less pressure on your arm joints. In other words, to drill "1 step 1 punch" can be like to put your arms behind your back and just use your body to punch. I think there is a big difference there.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think I've developed my arm joints to withstand that many punches. The more I think about it, the more I doubt my shoulders would come out okay, and the more certain I am I'd end up with tendinitis in my arms (if I didn't have it already, that is). Perhaps if I'd done more of this along the way, I'd not be going through the joint issues in my arms today.

Or maybe my elbow and shoulder joints are just as crappy as my knee and ankle joints.
If you do this right, it should heal your shoulder.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

The idea, with what I did was to make sure all were correct. In the beginning it is easy to let things slide, especially if you are getting tired or in a hurry. But by day 7 I'd would have worked to getting most, if not all correct.

I imagine if you extend that out to 1000 it is a similar thing, but you have to pay close attention and not let yourself slide on anything. In the beginning many will be sloppy, but as you work with it the goal "should be" to get most or all correct.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The XingYi dragon is similar to the XingYi Pi Chuan. It just adds into an extra kick. I'll try to drill XingYi dragon 1000 times non-stop. But I can expect it can be much more difficult just because that extra kick. Will it be a good idea to kick 1000 times non-stop? It may not be good for my knee joint.

XingYi Pi Chuan:

XingYi dragon:

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I realize I quoted you and answered this before but I was reading "Philosophy of Martial Arts" from Shen Wu and this paragraph is very applicable to this type of training

Philosophy of Martial Arts

It is a fact known to every student that the amount of information absorbed and retained through focused awareness is far greater than the amount absorbed through mindless repetition. I'm sure you have had the experience of reading a page in a book while thinking of something else, only to realize as you turned the page that you had no idea what you just read (although you read every word). No matter how many times you read the same page without focused awareness, you will still not absorb and retain the information contained therein. So it is with the practice of martial technique. Mindless repetition of technical movements may qualify as exercise, but the vast majority of time spent in practice of this type is wasted as far as internalizing useful patterns of movement is concerned. On the other hand, focused awareness on the practice at hand maximizes the time spent in practice, allowing one to internalize techniques in the shortest amount of time, as well as guarding against the negligent acquisition of unwanted habits. In short, the most efficient method of training for internalizing martial technique involves mind and body unity, with the mind (intent) actively aware of and guiding the movement of the body. The goal is to maintain conscious awareness of the thought process (the mind in the brain) as well as the kinesthetic sense (the mind in the body). The key is awareness." Focusing this awareness on what we are doing is the method of efficient practice.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The XingYi dragon is similar to the XingYi Pi Chuan. It just adds into an extra kick. I'll try to drill XingYi dragon 1000 times non-stop. But I can expect it can be much more difficult just because that extra kick. Will it be a good idea to kick 1000 times non-stop? It may not be good for my knee joint.

XingYi Pi Chuan:

XingYi dragon:

Beng quan turn is very similar to the dragon kick