Am I using a dolyo chagi chamber for a yeop chagi here? (VIDEO)=

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I noticed nearing 30 (I'm now 31) that one of the hips started to lock up, get stiffer under pressure, wheras the other one remained unaffected. Is it common for one of the hips to be stronger than the other or what explains? I have not had any injuries.
The answer to your issue may be revealed by X Rays. I cannot speak to what is "Common" . As far as one side being weaker there are potential solutions. Train the weaker side with 10% more (Don't overtrain it) reps for 3 months and see what happens. (Again, this may be fruitless or worse if you have a physical issue) A doctor's analysis with Physical therapy my be in order.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you mean that you can't do anything with it?
My strength and dexterity are not what they used to be. So I cannot use my flexibility as well. There are some things that just are not worth the pain it would cause. Can I do them? Yes but not well.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The answer to your issue may be revealed by X Rays. I cannot speak to what is "Common" . As far as one side being weaker there are potential solutions. Train the weaker side with 10% more (Don't overtrain it) reps for 3 months and see what happens. (Again, this may be fruitless or worse if you have a physical issue) A doctor's analysis with Physical therapy my be in order.

I'm ambidextrious in my legs so that's how I remember that there never was any medial condition historically. It's something I've noticed in later years only.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess ambipedal or two-footed is more precise because it only concern my legs.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I find lead-leg side kicks harder to do. Power is harder for me to generate.
I don't, but, not having watched the video, all my lead leg side kicks are low. Basically if I'm throwing it from the front leg, I'm aiming at their kick, to prevent it from connecting.

That's probably not something they focus too much on in tkd, but I'm aware that my kicks are worse than a tkders (generally), so it's better if I take kicks out of the equation by punishing them for trying to throw one.

Given what you've said on here about your own sparring style it might be something you'd like to work on too.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't, but, not having watched the video, all my lead leg side kicks are low. Basically if I'm throwing it from the front leg, I'm aiming at their kick, to prevent it from connecting.

That's probably not something they focus too much on in tkd, but I'm aware that my kicks are worse than a tkders (generally), so it's better if I take kicks out of the equation by punishing them for trying to throw one.

Given what you've said on here about your own sparring style it might be something you'd like to work on too.

I haven't been to the all open tournaments but what the non TKDoins generally do is bridge the gap, clinch, throw, finishing technique to the ground, and win by superior inside game.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't been to the all open tournaments but what the non TKDoins generally do is bridge the gap, clinch, throw, finishing technique to the ground, and win by superior inside game.
What sort of open tournaments are you referring to? From my understanding most TKD tournaments don't allow that.

Personally my style is a direct counter to what you've described. I (and my main teachers) bridge the gap, enter, throw hook/smashes, and then slip out of the throw to escape while they're trying to get a grip. Then when they attempt to come in again, I throw a cross-counter or hook counter, then back up and try to stay in punching range. Basically all our groundwork is from training with bjj purple belts and up, trying to escape rather than staying on the ground with them. That's not part of the plan, but if I mess up and end up on the ground I need to know what to do. And once I escape, I can go back to my game-plan.

I'm not really sure what your post has to do with my comment about low kicks/prevention kicks, but from my experience my style seems to counter perfectly what you're describing.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What sort of open tournaments are you referring to? From my understanding most TKD tournaments don't allow that.

Personally my style is a direct counter to what you've described. I (and my main teachers) bridge the gap, enter, throw hook/smashes, and then slip out of the throw to escape while they're trying to get a grip. Then when they attempt to come in again, I throw a cross-counter or hook counter, then back up and try to stay in punching range. Basically all our groundwork is from training with bjj purple belts and up, trying to escape rather than staying on the ground with them. That's not part of the plan, but if I mess up and end up on the ground I need to know what to do. And once I escape, I can go back to my game-plan.

I'm not really sure what your post has to do with my comment about low kicks/prevention kicks, but from my experience my style seems to counter perfectly what you're describing.

You speculated that it's better to take your kicks out of the equation. Meaning you speculated how to beat them.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was referring to open style tournaments

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You speculated that it's better to take your kicks out of the equation. Meaning you speculated how to beat them.
Yeah. I mentioned my way to handle kicks. I was giving gerry a suggestion on how to do so since he's also mentioned kicks aren't his strong point.

I'm not really sure what points you're making with your responses to my posts.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

To which I replied what people facing TKD normally do in open style competion, which is clinch.

I don't believe your version of a side kick will pose any problems at all for a TKD stylist. I would need see to see the application but it sounds very abstract and theoretical and something you probably haven’t tried

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yes, even the non WT TKD tourneys do not go to the ground. More like bridge, clinch (slightly) and work back out.
I have been to every style tourney you can think of. WT style works very well when combined with good hands but very few people see it that way and fewer can combine the two. Go to an open tournament and you can surprise the hell out of people if you can kick the face from punching range and recover so that they cannot easily counter.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, even the non WT TKD tourneys do not go to the ground. More like bridge, clinch (slightly) and work back out.
I have been to every style tourney you can think of. WT style works very well when combined with good hands but very few people see it that way and fewer can combine the two. Go to an open tournament and you can surprise the hell out of people if you can kick the face from punching range and recover so that they cannot easily counter.

A Karate sponsored open style event may allow sweeps

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If sweeps and clinch are not allowed, the pure Taekwondo stylist has generally speaking a huge advantage over a pure Karate stylist due to the range advantage of feet vs hands. Neither one knows the sweet science of boxing. Karateka can generally kick well but not as well and not as fluid as the Taekwondo expert,.

Ask any Karate practitioner and he will tell you the same. Those kicks are not what they are used to facing.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's one in Karate rule set.

A 4th Dan (or higher) ITF black belt vs Karate (probably Shotokan).

Taekwondo guy won.

Latest Discussions