Am I using a dolyo chagi chamber for a yeop chagi here? (VIDEO)=

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was General Chois wish on his death bed that the next president was a certain North Korean fellow. That's what I meant with North Korean affiliation
And you never thought it curious:
A. He never mentioned this publicly prior to that date except for perhaps in NK; and
B. No one heard it except the North Korean next to him.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you accept the authority of General Choi as the founder of ITF, and cared about his wishes, then there is only one legitimate.
1. I accept General Choi was the Founder and he also had a constitution in place which he wanted followed.
2. I accept that accuracy of all information coming out of NK is questionable.
3. At a dinner in 2001 I publicly disagreed with General Choi when he as lobbying strongly (At that time) for his son to succeed him.

So, your premise of "Accepting Authority" is faulty.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And you never thought it curious:
A. He never mentioned this publicly prior to that date except for perhaps in NK; and
B. No one heard it except the North Korean next to him.

There were several prominent people present at his death bed, including Jong Soo Park. And it was convincing evidence enough to win the court case and have the other ITFs to modify their logos and uniforms

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Btw, I know what caused the falling out with his son..

General Choi was at a demo with son. His son first corrected a technique and then Choi corrected it again, to which the practitioner replied: I was told this was incorrect.

This made Choi fuming.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
@Dirtydog order a traditional white ITF dobok and see if you get a black collar.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

General Choi was at a demo with son. His son first corrected a technique and then Choi corrected it again, to which the practitioner replied: I was told this was incorrect.

This made Choi fuming.

This post made me chuckle! General Choi's son is also a "Choi". When you know that it's really hard to read. I'll tweak it because I'm weird like that...

General Choi, Hong-hi was at a demo with his son, Choi Jung-hwa. Choi, Jung-hwa first corrected a technique and then General Choi corrected it again, to which the practitioner replied: I was told this was incorrect.

This made General Choi furious.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This post made me chuckle! General Choi's son is also a "Choi". When you know that it's really hard to read. I'll tweak it because I'm weird like that...

General Choi, Hong-hi was at a demo with his son, Choi Jung-hwa. Choi, Jung-hwa first corrected a technique and then General Choi corrected it again, to which the practitioner replied: I was told this was incorrect.

This made General Choi furious.

I should have written Choi the elder but anyway, you got it right

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Dirtydog order a traditional white ITF dobok and see if you get a black collar.
I think the point is that you used the uniform style to argue it wasn't an ITF kick. My preferred uniform (solid black) matches only one person I know of in my primary art (other than my own students, who are few, indeed). Until I started using that uniform, I think that other instructor was the only person in the entire art regularly training and teaching in solid black. So if you tried to identify my style (or his) by uniform, you'd have a hard time of it.

Uniforms don't dictate style, though they can sometimes give us a clue.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the point is that you used the uniform style to argue it wasn't an ITF kick. My preferred uniform (solid black) matches only one person I know of in my primary art (other than my own students, who are few, indeed). Until I started using that uniform, I think that other instructor was the only person in the entire art regularly training and teaching in solid black. So if you tried to identify my style (or his) by uniform, you'd have a hard time of it.

Uniforms don't dictate style, though they can sometimes give us a clue.

ITF is a federation pertaining to a certain style. The gentleman did not wear an ITF uniform, which most likely means that he is in an ITF off-shoot federation,and those can indeed wear black collar doboks.

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does your instructor/school have a website to share with the rest of us mere mortals?

It was on his clubs Facebook. Just wanted to mention that since I thought it was funny.

My instructor was a personal friend of General Choi. He has pictures of the general sitting in his couch, chillin. And he is adament which federation General Choi gave his blessing to. I'll take a close friends word for it, call me crazy.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was on his Facebook. Just wanted to mention that since I thought it was funny.

My instructor was a personal friend of General Choi. He has pictures of the general sitting in his couch, chillin. And he is adament which federation General Choi gave his blessing to. I'll take a close friends word for it, call me crazy.
Well, enlighten us with the source of his Facebook page then.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
There were several prominent people present at his death bed, including Jong Soo Park. And it was convincing evidence enough to win the court case and have the other ITFs to modify their logos and uniforms
I have the decision in both the original and 2 English translations. It is clear you have not read the decision as to exactly what the evidence was and was "Won" but it
should be somewhat clear since it was the NK group that was one of the ones changing the uniform. I am also aquainted with GM Jong Soo Park who notably was one of the Korean GMs that left the NK group. He was also at the dinner in 2001 where I disagreed with General Choi as to who the next president should be (At that time he was lobbying for his son. ) You would think he would have been upset with me. Not long after that he appointed me as one of 3 members to the ITF legal counsel. Are you sure you can educate me on what the court decision held?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

This made Choi fuming.

This is a fairy tale. I was there in Rimini Italy (2001) with people who attended the ITF congress and lived thru events that followed which are well known, and was consulted as legal counsel concerning procedures to be followed with regard to calling a special congress and expulsion.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a fairy tale. I was there in Rimini Italy (2001) with people who attended the ITF congress and lived thru events that followed which are well known, and was consulted as legal counsel concerning procedures to be followed with regard to calling a special congress and expulsion.
Can I start calling you 'Smooth' Earl Weiss? Because you surely are.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[
I have the decision in both the original and 2 English translations. It is clear you have not read the decision as to exactly what the evidence was and was "Won" but it
should be somewhat clear since it was the NK group that was one of the ones changing the uniform. I am also aquainted with GM Jong Soo Park who notably was one of the Korean GMs that left the NK group. He was also at the dinner in 2001 where I disagreed with General Choi as to who the next president should be (At that time he was lobbying for his son. ) You would think he would have been upset with me. Not long after that he appointed me as one of 3 members to the ITF legal counsel. Are you sure you can educate me on what the court decision held?

Jong Soo Park left all of ITF, not just the NK group, and started his own Global Taekwondo Federation. This is compatible with the the fact that General Choi appointed a certain North Korean as his successor on his death bed. I don't see what one has to do with the other.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ITF is a federation pertaining to a certain style. The gentleman did not wear an ITF uniform, which most likely means that he is in an ITF off-shoot federation,and those can indeed wear black collar doboks.
I often wore a non-standard uniform when not in class. So, even given the NGAA regulations being actually consistent across the country, if you'd had a video of me outside class, that wouldn't have helped. And that assumes the regulation is consistent across all member schools in all countries.

The uniform is only a clue.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
[

Jong Soo Park left all of ITF, not just the NK group, and started his own Global Taekwondo Federation. This is compatible with the the fact that General Choi appointed a certain North Korean as his successor on his death bed. I don't see what one has to do with the other.
Part of the NK bragging rights was that all the Korean GMs became affiliated with that group. Didn't last long - I wonder why?

Latest Discussions