Am I using a dolyo chagi chamber for a yeop chagi here? (VIDEO)=

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't there youtube clips of other practitioners?
Unlikely. Kicking is not stressed much, so anything you find of NGA online will be related to grappling, and usually related to the classical forms (2-man stylized forms used to introduce new techniques).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's when you felt the flexibility decline started or was it earlier?
That is a complex question for me. I went through a major accident when I was 38 and had a very long recovery. At the time of the accident, I still competed at a high level and was near the peak flexibility of my teens and 20's.
When I was able to start back any kind of workout and stretching the difference in flexibility was stark. After a couple of years it came back quite a lot but nothing near where I was at 38. So it is difficult to say when my flexibility would have naturally started dropping off had I not been injured.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is a complex question for me. I went through a major accident when I was 38 and had a very long recovery. At the time of the accident, I still competed at a high level and was near the peak flexibility of my teens and 20's.
When I was able to start back any kind of workout and stretching the difference in flexibility was stark. After a couple of years it came back quite a lot but nothing near where I was at 38. So it is difficult to say when my flexibility would have naturally started dropping off had I not been injured.

Probably scar tissue.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jong Soo Park is way better than Cung Le

Have you ever met GM Park Jong Soo? , Been in the same room training with him while training? This is like saying who was better - Tyson or Frazier. Do to the era of their fights, their is a lot more stuff readily available on line for Cung Lee.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nearing 50 I noticed the flexibility / range of motion in the hips dropping off. Worked harder at stretching which resulted in more pain but no more flexibility. X Rays revealed calcification and lack of cartilage in the hip joint. Bone spurs were limiting the range of motion and stretching was only jamming bone into bone harder. A couple of years later most bad parts were removed and thrown in the garbage. Range of motion greatly improved but not to the levels of 20 years earlier.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Have you ever met GM Park Jong Soo? , Been in the same room training with him while training? This is like saying who was better - Tyson or Frazier. Do to the era of their fights, their is a lot more stuff readily available on line for Cung Lee.

No but I have eyes and Cung Le is nowhere near his leg dexterity.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nearing 50 I noticed the flexibility / range of motion in the hips dropping off. Worked harder at stretching which resulted in more pain but no more flexibility. X Rays revealed calcification and lack of cartilage in the hip joint. Bone spurs were limiting the range of motion and stretching was only jamming bone into bone harder. A couple of years later most bad parts were removed and thrown in the garbage. Range of motion greatly improved but not to the levels of 20 years earlier.
I started to mention the same factors when I started back working out/stretching. It took me a while to get back to even walking (lost of metal and prosthetics) but eventually I could tell what was accident related pain and what was the classic symptoms of aging. It really forces you to choose what, how, and when you make certain motions. Over time I learned that on some days I can stretch about a far as ever but I really cannot use the flexibility fully because the pain is just not worth it.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Is that a common evolution?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have 50+ years old doing the full splits in class.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have 50+ years old doing the full splits in class.
Like I said, on a good day I can still do close to a full split. I just cannot do anything with it.
Kids in general are very flexible but very few of them have the strength and coordination to fully benefit from the flexibility until they have trained for a while.
So, do a PPAT; an acronym for performance testing.
Take two of your flexible 50 year old's and two 20 year old's, all of equal flexibility. Run all four through an extensive set of kicking drills and see who fair's better in every category.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like I said, on a good day I can still do close to a full split. I just cannot do anything with it.
Kids in general are very flexible but very few of them have the strength and coordination to fully benefit from the flexibility until they have trained for a while.
So, do a PPAT; an acronym for performance testing.
Take two of your flexible 50 year old's and two 20 year old's, all of equal flexibility. Run all four through an extensive set of kicking drills and see who fair's better in every category.

What do you mean that you can't do anything with it?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
No but I have eyes and Cung Le is nowhere near his leg dexterity.
I am acquainted with GM Park . I thought perhaps you trained with him and I was going to ask you to pass along my regards.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that a common evolution?

I can't make that analysis. In my case I was born with a misalignment in my hips which leads to later problems. Impact activities like running on hard services and lots of heavy bag kicking didn't help. . If discovered at a young enough age now they apparently put the kids in braces to try and correct it. Hip replacements seem to be relatively common across a younger population. Whether that is due to being more active , congenital or other issues I cannot say.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't make that analysis. In my case I was born with a misalignment in my hips which leads to later problems. Impact activities like running on hard services and lots of heavy bag kicking didn't help. . If discovered at a young enough age now they apparently put the kids in braces to try and correct it. Hip replacements seem to be relatively common across a younger population. Whether that is due to being more active , congenital or other issues I cannot say.

Do you have a photo pre surgery throwing a kick? I would like to see if it's possible to discern it

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you have a photo pre surgery throwing a kick? I would like to see if it's possible to discern it
I have a post surgery video. Made it for the surgeon. Only Some old VHS stuff pre surgery that would take me a while to copy for digital medium and upload. Not motivated to do that now. Plus, I don't know that it would show a gradual decline in abilities over time.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a post surgery video. Made it for the surgeon. Only Some old VHS stuff pre surgery that would take me a while to copy for digital medium and upload. Not motivated to do that now. Plus, I don't know that it would show a gradual decline in abilities over time.

I noticed nearing 30 (I'm now 31) that one of the hips started to lock up, get stiffer under pressure, wheras the other one remained unaffected. Is it common for one of the hips to be stronger than the other or what explains? I have not had any injuries.

Latest Discussions