Am I using a dolyo chagi chamber for a yeop chagi here? (VIDEO)=

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Um, No. He is wearing a Gi style on a Dobak style..

Yes he is. The amount of ignorance KKW people have of other Taekwondo styles is frankly embarassing.
_20200915_234256.JPG

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is a Gi with black trimming; simple as that. Do you even know what a Dobak is? Style, such as TSD has nothing to do with what kind of uniform it is.

Sigh. I wrote KKW or Tang Soo Do TYPE dobok, meaning black collar.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sigh. I wrote KKW or Tang Soo Do TYPE dobok, meaning black collar.
The color of the collar has nothing to do with the type of uniform it is either. There can be Gi's with or without trim and Dobak's with or without trim.
I have no clue what point you are trying to make.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The color of the collar has nothing to do with the type of uniform it is either. There can be Gi's with or without trim and Dobak's with or without trim.
I have no clue what point you are trying to make.

ITF Doboks do not come with black collars. What part of that don't you understand?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ITF Doboks do not come with black collars. What part of that don't you understand?
Well, then I have 6 or 8 Doboks that look suspiciously like they have black trim. Now you arguing against yourself. Rather funny. Go to any MA supply website and you can quickly find them.
Trimming has Nothing do to with uniform style or MA style. Period.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, then I have 6 or 8 Doboks that look suspiciously like they have black trim. Now you arguing against yourself. Rather funny. Go to any MA supply website and you can quickly find them.
Trimming has Nothing do to with uniform style or MA style. Period.

You are not affiliated with the ITF and yes it does.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
"why does ITF need two different almost identical variations of a side kick".

Need is an interesting term. From my perspective the TK-D practitioner is a craftsman - let's say a carpenter. Perhaps the carpenter uses 20% of his tools 80% of the time and heck sometimes the job can be done with a tool that is not optimal for the task. But having and being able to use the right tool for the task sure makes things go smoother. Now to the point. The terms "Pierce" and "Thrust" denote certain parameters as defined / applied by General Choi. (And as he notes lines of distinction are not always clear) Pierce has a rotational component - Think of the TMA punch that typically has the fist rotate, with the goal being to create internal hemorrhage, and thrust has little to no rotation to "Cut Thru" a vital spot. (I think "penetrate" would have been a better choice of words ) I think another analogy is pierce is akin to a bullet rotation and we know the effects of hydro static shock resulting from the spin, as opposed to how an arrow travels through the body. As an aside we know Boxing has no restrictions on the twist of a punch but the gloves negate the effect so it's really pointless in boxing.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are not affiliated with the ITF and yes it does.

Bollocks. I have a number of diamond pattern dobak. So according to you, that means I've suddenly joined a hapkido system? If I wear a sleeveless black top, I'm now part of the Cobra Kai? Does wearing any of these somehow cause the portions of my brain storing ITF training to melt and run out my ears? Holy crap! How have I ever managed to practice when I wasn't even wearing a dobak of any sort????

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bollocks. I have a number of diamond pattern dobak. So according to you, that means I've suddenly joined a hapkido system? If I wear a sleeveless black top, I'm now part of the Cobra Kai? Does wearing any of these somehow cause the portions of my brain storing ITF training to melt and run out my ears? Holy crap! How have I ever managed to practice when I wasn't even wearing a dobak of any sort????

I never said that you can't wear other doboks, but it is not an ITF one. And you know that.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor has a new label. He calls his North Korean affiliation original ITF.
Interesting. Chang Hon TKD began it's development in 1955 and the system was basically completed in 1965. It was unknown in NK until General Choi took a demo team there in September 1980. It wasn't until a year or two after that it was first taught and trained in NK.. So, if NK is "Original" what do you call those who were doing it for 10, 20 years or more before they even new it existed? Or is he simply saying that what NK does as well as numerous other groups is original ITF?

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Need is an interesting term. From my perspective the TK-D practitioner is a craftsman - let's say a carpenter. Perhaps the carpenter uses 20% of his tools 80% of the time and heck sometimes the job can be done with a tool that is not optimal for the task. But having and being able to use the right tool for the task sure makes things go smoother. Now to the point. The terms "Pierce" and "Thrust" denote certain parameters as defined / applied by General Choi. (And as he notes lines of distinction are not always clear) Pierce has a rotational component - Think of the TMA punch that typically has the fist rotate, with the goal being to create internal hemorrhage, and thrust has little to no rotation to "Cut Thru" a vital spot. (I think "penetrate" would have been a better choice of words ) I think another analogy is pierce is akin to a bullet rotation and we know the effects of hydro static shock resulting from the spin, as opposed to how an arrow travels through the body. As an aside we know Boxing has no restrictions on the twist of a punch but the gloves negate the effect so it's really pointless in boxing.
Apologies - Neglected to mention for Side Piercing kick the "Tool" is the "Footsword" outside 1/3 back edge of foot, so the angle is bent so the foot is at about a right angle to the leg, and the side thrusting Kick the Tool is the Ball of the foot so the top of the foot is basically in line with the leg with toes pulled back.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Chang Hon TKD began it's development in 1955 and the system was basically completed in 1965. It was unknown in NK until General Choi took a demo team there in September 1980. It wasn't until a year or two after that it was first taught and trained in NK.. So, if NK is "Original" what do you call those who were doing it for 10, 20 years or more before they even new it existed?

This is the problem for me with having multiple ITFs, they all have a genuine belief (and probably justifiably so) that they are the official one. So are likely all considering the others imposters.

And that's before we get in to Ohdokwan which is still active in South Korea, and is following Kukkiwon style (ODK is surely is the OG of ITFs ;-) )

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apologies - Neglected to mention for Side Piercing kick the "Tool" is the "Footsword" outside 1/3 back edge of foot, so the angle is bent so the foot is at about a right angle to the leg, and the side thrusting Kick the Tool is the Ball of the foot so the top of the foot is basically in line with the leg with toes pulled back.

That's very interesting, thanks. The point of impact for a Kukkiwon side kick is the heel - the foot (ankle) is positioned in a foot sword, but that's in case of incorrect impact rather than aiming to hit with it.

Our reasoning for this way is that there's flexion in the ankle naturally so impacting with it during a side kick will suck out some power, whereas hitting with the heel gives a straight line of joints all the way to the core.

Appreciate your insights/answers as always GM Weiss!

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting. Chang Hon TKD began it's development in 1955 and the system was basically completed in 1965. It was unknown in NK until General Choi took a demo team there in September 1980. It wasn't until a year or two after that it was first taught and trained in NK.. So, if NK is "Original" what do you call those who were doing it for 10, 20 years or more before they even new it existed?

It was General Chois wish on his death bed that the next president was a certain North Korean fellow. That's what I meant with North Korean affiliation

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is the problem for me with having multiple ITFs, they all have a genuine belief (and probably justifiably so) that they are the official one. So are likely all considering the others imposters.

)

If you accept the authority of General Choi as the founder of ITF, and cared about his wishes, then there is only one legitimate.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's very interesting, thanks. The point of impact for a Kukkiwon side kick is the heel - the foot (ankle) is positioned in a foot sword, but that's in case of incorrect impact rather than aiming to hit with it.

Our reasoning for this way is that there's flexion in the ankle naturally so impacting with it during a side kick will suck out some power, whereas hitting with the heel gives a straight line of joints all the way to the core.

Appreciate your insights/answers as always GM Weiss!
Sir, I always thought it interesting that some systems use the bottom of the heel and some (I think even Shotokan does ) uses what Chang Ho refers to as the "Footsword. " The best rationale I have come up with is that if you look at the wear on the bottom of a lot of shoes we see most on the footword, so if we walk this way naturally there is some anatomical disposition to do it this way and perhaps the anatomy can absorb the impact this way as oppose to the potential for a Heel Spur from repeated heel impact. Really not much flexion when striking with the footsword since it is the rear edged only where the foot doesn't flex.

Latest Discussions