Am I using a dolyo chagi chamber for a yeop chagi here? (VIDEO)=

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do not belong to any school since 2 years back so I will have to refer to you guys. Am I conflating the chamber for the dolyo chagi, in my yeop chagi delivery here?

Note that this is with regards to the traditional side kick chamber, not the modern, front kick chamber one, used by the KKW and others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=tpnNx0s3_2s&feature=emb_title

I consciously do it differently than for the Dolyo chagi, but it might still be wrong.... I used to do every technique with different mechanics, so that's why I ask. I changed my body mechanics in the last year.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Looks like I can keep them apart. When I do them too casually they sometimes get muddled (common?)

Maybe it's just rustiness.

The Dolyo chagi mechanics is clearly distinct when I fully commit as seen here

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you need to pivot your base foot more, so your heel is pointing towards the target. I think that will align your hips and shoulders better and give the kick a little longer reach. What you're doing looks more like an Americanized version - which is fine, I do a similar version a lot - if you're doing it that way on purpose.

Keep up the work, brother!

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think you need to pivot your base foot more, so your heel is pointing towards the target. I think that will align your hips and shoulders better and give the kick a little longer reach. What you're doing looks more like an Americanized version - which is fine, I do a similar version a lot - if you're doing it that way on purpose.

Keep up the work, brother!

Thanks for the feedback. We don't pivot the base foot as much in ITF as the WTF Olympic Taekwondo guys, so it's intentional. But it kinda depends yeah

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For the dolyo
_20200802_133747.JPG

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The chair is blocking a clear view of your standing foot in the first video and I cannot view your second video. In your screen shot items 2 and 4 are talking about the standing foot I think and is saying to rotate from 45° to 90°, I think (I have never read this list).
Your posture in the first video is closer to a yeop chagi in the striking position, so I do not know if that answers your question. Flexibility plays a huge role with both the dollyo chagi and yeop chagi. Increased flexibility in the torso, hips, & legs makes either kick much easier and allows you to throw an effective kick from different geometries.
As you discover and learn the kick more you should learn that the standing foot position does many different things depending on intent.
All that being said, just forget all that and keep kicking and have fun brother.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The chair is blocking a clear view of your standing foot in the first video and I cannot view your second video. In your screen shot items 2 and 4 are talking about the standing foot I think and is saying to rotate from 45° to 90°, I think (I have never read this list).
Your posture in the first video is closer to a yeop chagi in the striking position, so I do not know if that answers your question. Flexibility plays a huge role with both the dollyo chagi and yeop chagi. Increased flexibility in the torso, hips, & legs makes either kick much easier and allows you to throw an effective kick from different geometries.
As you discover and learn the kick more you should learn that the standing foot position does many different things depending on intent.
All that being said, just forget all that and keep kicking and have fun brother.

No, it says "point 45 degrees"

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And it is from the ITF encyclopedia

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it says "point 45 degrees"
It says "the toes of the foot should turn 45° outward. Outward from what? What is the pivot point? The heel? The ball? 45° from each other? It is kind of vague.
Back to your question, has it been answered? If not can you provide more detail?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Looks like it is indeed 45 degrees rotation of the supporting foot, more or less

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So it depends.. Sometimes i rotate the classical 45 degrees with the foot, sometimes more. Never the 180 degree KKW variation.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My primary Art has always been American Karate, but I have belts in other arts, including TKD. In American Karate we throw all the different kicks in a lot of different ways. It's just the choice of the Art, and hence, the individual practitioner.

WeddingPicCropped.jpeg

For instance, in our wedding pic, my wife is throwing a sidekick more like in TKD and I'm throwing one of the Americanized versions - difficult to see in the photo but I'm not using hip extension, I'm bent in at the waist with my upper body a little, more square to the front, especially the right shoulder. I'm also not blading my foot nor extending my heel. The particular side kick I'm throwing is meant to hit flat footed either between the hips or higher for a rushing opponent. It's an Americanized version, one of many.

Hey, she said "let's throw a sidekick for a photo." She never said what kind.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My primary Art has always been American Karate, but I have belts in other arts, including TKD. In American Karate we throw all the different kicks in a lot of different ways. It's just the choice of the Art, and hence, the individual practitioner.

View attachment 23035

For instance, in our wedding pic, my wife is throwing a sidekick more like in TKD and I'm throwing one of the Americanized versions - difficult to see in the photo but I'm not using hip extension, I'm bent in at the waist with my upper body a little, more square to the front, especially the right shoulder. I'm also not blading my foot nor extending my heel. The particular side kick I'm throwing is meant to hit flat footed either between the hips or higher for a rushing opponent. It's an Americanized version, one of many.

Hey, she said "let's throw a sidekick for a photo." She never said what kind.

I never knew that. Then I would say that I'm in the TKD spectrum.
_20200803_002018.JPG

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

View attachment 23035

For instance, in our wedding pic, my wife is throwing a sidekick more like in TKD and I'm throwing one of the Americanized versions - difficult to see in the photo but I'm not using hip extension, Id.

But don't you American Karate guys also do the side thrusting kick? Shotokan Karate does both the snapping and the hip extention one... The snapping is the one you describe.

Latest Discussions