Am I using a dolyo chagi chamber for a yeop chagi here? (VIDEO)=

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Notice how the Karateka can't get off with his kicks at all.

Oh and that Taekwondo guy had a great lead side kick:)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't, but, not having watched the video, all my lead leg side kicks are low. Basically if I'm throwing it from the front leg, I'm aiming at their kick, to prevent it from connecting.

That's probably not something they focus too much on in tkd, but I'm aware that my kicks are worse than a tkders (generally), so it's better if I take kicks out of the equation by punishing them for trying to throw one.

Given what you've said on here about your own sparring style it might be something you'd like to work on too.
Probably. Seems like something I need to be around good training partners for, and probably need some competent coaching/instruction.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about this one @andyjeffries

Isn't this a push?

[
Not directed to me, First I would repeat what General Choi says in his texts. went something like this when it addressed 3 main types of attacks, (Pierce, Thrust, Strike) although there are more than those 3 such as push, "The lines of distinction are not always clear" (Note- quote is from memory and may not be exact. ) Now to the video. IMO most of the kicks show thatthe bag "Folds" at the point of impact. This would not be characteristic of a "Push" in the Chang Hon System. where "Pushing" techniques are used to "Off Balance" (I would also add "Displace") the Attacker.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not directed to me, First I would repeat what General Choi says in his texts. went something like this when it addressed 3 main types of attacks, (Pierce, Thrust, Strike) although there are more than those 3 such as push, "The lines of distinction are not always clear" (Note- quote is from memory and may not be exact. ) Now to the video. IMO most of the kicks show thatthe bag "Folds" at the point of impact. This would not be characteristic of a "Push" in the Chang Hon System. where "Pushing" techniques are used to "Off Balance" (I would also add "Displace") the Attacker.

His acceleration point is very late, almost right before penetration. He looks to be is in danger town of a push, rather than a thrust, every blow.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here are dolyo chagis with no acceleration (same speed beginning to end). It cannot generate significant power

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
His acceleration point is very late, almost right before penetration. He looks to be is in danger town of a push, rather than a thrust, every blow.
Please define how you use the terms "Push" and "Thrust".

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about this one @andyjeffries

Isn't this a push?

I wouldn't describe it as so, because for me his foot accelerates to the target, rather than be put on the target then accelerate. You later say that the acceleration point is very late, that may be because of the gentleman's age that you view it that way. Taekwondo is a lifetime pursuit and you can't judge all students to the standard of a 20-something.

However, that said, it's an ITF kick and I'm viewing it with Kukkiwon eyes.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here are dolyo chagis with no acceleration (same speed beginning to end). It cannot generate significant power

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. I watched it in real time and it seemed to be accelerating.

If you pause the video in YouTube and hit "." you can go forward frame-by-frame. It takes 10 frames for the kick to reach inline with his standing leg (considering that half way) and 6 frames to go from there to impact. Therefore, it's accelerating.

Again, I think you may be judging him with both inexperienced eyes and based on viewing younger athletes.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Again, I think you may be judging him with both inexperienced eyes and based on viewing younger athletes.

I have seen quite a few kickers in my time. He could practise those on me without a shield. There is little to no acceleration.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's wearing a KKW or Tang Soo Do type dobok.

If you look at his YouTube channel for other videos, he uses the term "tul" not poomsae, and the patterns listed are ITF ones. In Kukkiwon Taekwondo we only have a "Side kick" and it would be weird to describe it as a "Side piercing/thrust kick", it's just a side kick.

It may not be an official ITF dobok, but it's definitely not a KKW one.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you look at his YouTube channel for other videos, he uses the term "tul" not poomsae, and the patterns listed are ITF ones. In Kukkiwon Taekwondo we only have a "Side kick" and it would be weird to describe it as a "Side piercing/thrust kick", it's just a side kick.

It may not be an official ITF dobok, but it's definitely not a KKW one.

Ok but It's definitely not an ITF dobok. Whatever he's affiliated with, it's not ITF directly.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok but It's definitely not an ITF dobok. Whatever he's affiliated with, it's not ITF directly.

Without wishing to get in to a political debate, which ITF are you referring to? You seem to be referring to ITF as a single organisation, and it hasn't been that way since the death of General Choi (as I'd have predicted if asked before that event).

Do all ITF headquarters require the same dobok (bearing in mind multiple groups all called "ITF" at this point)? What about ITF national associations, do they all require the same dobok?

Regardless, you'll note I didn't say he was a member of the ITF (under Paul Weiler), the ITF (under Ri Yong Son), the ITF (under Oh Chang Jin) or any other ITF group. I said it was an ITF kick, not a Kukkiwon one, so I'm not 100% qualified to judge if it was a thrust, piercing, pushing, whatever. GM @Earl Weiss would be better placed to judge that.

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Without wishing to get in to a political debate, which ITF are you referring to?

All of them. ITF doboks regardless of which one it is, does not come with a black collar.

Btw, why doesn't the KKW distinguish between a thrusting and piercing side kick?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Btw, why doesn't the KKW distinguish between a thrusting and piercing side kick?

For me, likely because the use case covered by a thrusting kick is already covered by a traditional push kick or a cut kick. But to be honest, it feels to me just as weird as would thinking "why does ITF need two different almost identical variations of a side kick".

I think there's a point where we all have to just accept that ITF and KKW are two branches of a martial art, similar in history, different in practice. Like Tennis and Badminton. To try to think of a conscious decision reason "why does X not have Y" is an exercise in futility. Just my opinion though.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't describe it as so, because for me his foot accelerates to the target, rather than be put on the target then accelerate. You later say that the acceleration point is very late, that may be because of the gentleman's age that you view it that way. Taekwondo is a lifetime pursuit and you can't judge all students to the standard of a 20-something.

However, that said, it's an ITF kick and I'm viewing it with Kukkiwon eyes.
The bolded part. That really sums it up to me. I describe it as “impacting” the target. People like to claim that this or that kick is just a push. Well, any kick can be done as a push or as an impacting strike. Any kick is not automatically either. It depends on how it is delivered.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think there's a point where we all have to just accept that ITF and KKW are two branches of a martial art, similar in history, different in practice. Like Tennis and Badminton.

I could not disagree more, if we are talking about kicking basics. It is completely arbitrary whether my studied examples are of KKW or ITF branding. There’s a bigger variance within practioners of KKW and ITF than between them. You are just as qualified evaluating ITF hip mechanics as KKW, since it's by and large the same.

Latest Discussions