injury catalog? Why do we do what we do...

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that is how a spider broke my leg.

.... And that, gentle readers, is how one tells an amusing anecdote. Well done, Gerry. Well played, too... by Indigo, the spider. Talented scion, that.

I forgot a couple of breaks, too.

Not to mention how my fragile ego has been bruised over the years. (People are beasts)

People are mean. That's why we do BJJ (you) and Judo (me) now. So much more softer, gentler and ... comfortable. No more pain, sweat, anguish... just fun times.

*snort*

Xue... surely one of the injuries has some sort of funny tale tied toit?

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lots of minor superficial "injuries" like pretty big mat burns, pulled muscles, accidentally kicking an elbow full force with my ankle joint, mouth cuts, neck strain from accidentally being spiked etc. However I need to realise that I really haven't trained that long, just progressed very fast.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nothing lasting - but in the three years I have been training - back sprains (regular thing), knee twisted, ankle sprain (common), skin off the top of my feet.

But - before I took up MA - I also got a bunch of mild to medium injuries plenty from weight lifting, jogging, or even chores outside or around the home. Sometimes missing a few days of work for these non MA activities. So I try to be fair about injuries from MA as some injuries could happen in most types of active sports.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing lasting - but in the three years I have been training - back sprains (regular thing), knee twisted, ankle sprain (common), skin off the top of my feet.

But - before I took up MA - I also got a bunch of mild to medium injuries plenty from weight lifting, jogging, or even chores outside or around the home. Sometimes missing a few days of work for these non MA activities. So I try to be fair about injuries from MA as some injuries could happen in most types of active sports.

Or other activities. As a kid (about 4), some of us decided to try to climb to the top of a neighbor's barn type garage door. On me it fell, pinning me and fracturing my skull. Around the same or lesser age, I discovered that I could run and jump on the back of my tricycle and if I did it right, lean forward and grab the handle bars and coast forward some. If you missed and tried to do a breakfall on your arm only, it was possible to produce a long break of the ulna (BTW, I am not old, but the local family doctor washed the x-ray film in the tank of the toilet).

I learned some lessons, but as I grew older in wisdom, while in high school, I jumped over a mud puddle, slipped on rocks and broke both the ulna and radius at the wrist.

Realizing I had something going, while in AIT in the army, I skillfully placed by right foot under an about 550 pound bailey bridge panel as it fell off the roadway of the bridge. It buried my foot in the ground, breaking the first bone in my big toe in three places, and crushing joints in the big toe and the next two for good measure.

Feeling somewhat expert by now, I went on to break my right ankle, once in Vietnam (not in combat, but in stupidity), and again during a racket ball game in the USA. Little toes have been dislocated more times than I can remember.

Come to think some on it, Martial Arts training is the safest thing I have done. :mad: :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or other activities. As a kid (about 4), some of us decided to try to climb to the top of a neighbor's barn type garage door. On me it fell, pinning me and fracturing my skull. Around the same or lesser age, I discovered that I could run and jump on the back of my tricycle and if I did it right, lean forward and grab the handle bars and coast forward some. If you missed and tried to do a breakfall on your arm only, it was possible to produce a long break of the ulna (BTW, I am not old, but the local family doctor washed the x-ray film in the tank of the toilet).

I learned some lessons, but as I grew older in wisdom, while in high school, I jumped over a mud puddle, slipped on rocks and broke both the ulna and radius at the wrist.

Realizing I had something going, while in AIT in the army, I skillfully placed by right foot under an about 550 pound bailey bridge panel as it fell off the roadway of the bridge. It buried my foot in the ground, breaking the first bone in my big toe in three places, and crushing joints in the big toe and the next two for good measure.

Feeling somewhat expert by now, I went on to break my right ankle, once in Vietnam (not in combat, but in stupidity), and again during a racket ball game in the USA. Little toes have been dislocated more times than I can remember.

Come to think some on it, Martial Arts training is the safest thing I have done. :mad: :)
Yeah, I've always been amazed how often my injuries are NOT from MA. I've injured myself brushing my hair (don't ask, seriously, it's less interesting than it sounds), washing the dogs (also far more prosaic than you'd imagine), searching for cats (with the help of Inigo, the spider-ninja), jogging, soccer, driving (okay, that one I had help with from the driver behind me), and many other activities. You'd think an activity where people are trying to hit me, and frequently throw me on the ground with great gusto, would be the focus of my injuries, yet that's not where most of them have come from. It's more often I walk into the dojo and have to explain where my injuries came from.

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Non-MA activities are dangerous. Cracked sternum from playing basketball. State of Illinois Mr. Basketball for 1984 threw me a no-look pass, meaning I wasn't looking, and it caught me moving near to lightspeed (the ball, not me) square in the chest. Cracked sternum,. That hurt like blazes and the doctor didn't want to believe me. Shoot, I didn't want to believe it either.

Cracked zygomatic arch (cheekbone) catching an elbow in the face attempting to grab a rebound... and failing spectacularly.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not enough space here and frankly I have forgotten about a lot of them at this point. ;)

I try to stay fit and in shape and have excellent breakfalls. So I have avoided a lot of injuries through the years but they still happen.

As to why we do it? For the love of it! ;)

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I've always been amazed how often my injuries are NOT from MA. I've injured myself brushing my hair (don't ask, seriously, it's less interesting than it sounds), washing the dogs (also far more prosaic than you'd imagine), searching for cats (with the help of Inigo, the spider-ninja), jogging, soccer, driving (okay, that one I had help with from the driver behind me), and many other activities. You'd think an activity where people are trying to hit me, and frequently throw me on the ground with great gusto, would be the focus of my injuries, yet that's not where most of them have come from. It's more often I walk into the dojo and have to explain where my injuries came from.

LOL - And the not fun of passing age 50 is to have to answer someone who asks "why are you limping?" and I have to say ..."I have no F'ing idea ! my foot just started hurting for no G damn reason".... I would much rather say "Well I was sparing in MMA class and .."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL - And the not fun of passing age 50 is to have to answer someone who asks "why are you limping?" and I have to say ..."I have no F'ing idea ! my foot just started hurting for no G damn reason".... I would much rather say "Well I was sparing in MMA class and .."
I've had that kind of thing going on intermittently since I was about 20 (Crappy Knee Syndrome), and consistently during cold weather since my early 40's. My wife asks why I'm limping and I just give her a look, and say, "Because I'm using my legs."

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one happens to me now, but did not ever happen to me in the 20s or 30s, shoot, not even in the early 40s.

Just walking with my lady downtown (Superbowl is here this weekend) and I step off a slight curb, maybe 3 inches max. I'm not thinking about the little curb, don't care about the little curb, but my lazy leg doesn't expect that humongous drop of Over Seventy-Five Millimeters. My knee goes to locked-out position and my weight drops onto the foot. The leg acts like an iron ram up into my right hip and now I'm limping around the rest of the evening... This happened literally yesterday. Ack.

Latest Discussions