Your Lead

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you fight, spar, etc., what lead do you prefer..right or left? Do you prefer one over the other? If so, why? Do you train both equally? Why/why not?

For myself, I primarily work out of a left lead. I like to work both sides, as I feel that it gives you more options and doesn't limit you.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I work primarily with a right lead(and I'm a righty), mainly because that is what I got conditioned too from years of fencing.

Jeff

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like to work both sides, however, I am primarily right-handed and left-footed, and being mainly a hands fighter, I fight left foot forward.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like to lead with the left. I am a little ambidexterous I guess. I was trained a lefty for baseball by my dad, everything is right handed. But I feel pretty comfortable with both sides. At my new school we do a lot of single stick, so I am in a southpaw most of the time, and converting to a empty hand portion it just blends. At times we will do boxing, and I go right into southpaw and the rest of the class is right handed so I am facing the opposite direction.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm more comfortable with a left lead but I work from both sides as much as possible.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since my right side is my strong side, I tend to operate with a right lead. I injured my right knee a few years back, so now I avoid any situation that requires me to pivot on that knee. To maximize this, I tend to put my power side forward.

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I always start right but change quite often during a match-up to try and make my opponent do the same and maybe catch him mid change or have him on a weaker side.

Well that's the idea!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I work primarily with a right lead(and I'm a righty), mainly because that is what I got conditioned too from years of fencing.

Jeff

Same here, for similar weapons related conditioning most likely. But I can switch as well, striking goes ok either way, but my shoots suck with a left lead :(

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I fight southpaw, eventhough I'm a righty. It comes from TSD where they trained a lot of front leg kicks, and my right leg is the strongest. I love front leg kicks, so this is only fitting to put my right leg forward. In TKD, it works out well for me, because most TKD students are used to kicking off their back leg. I throw them off all the time.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I practice both. I'm right handed but tend to shift to differrent stances depending on what I am doing.

If I'm just using my arms, I gravitate to a left lead.

If I'm using my arms and legs, I gravitate towards a right lead...my left round kicks are stronger.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I fight left lead. It started years ago when I was boxing. I keep it this way since my left is more articulate and is capable of knockouts. When I fight point style I fight right lead. This is the only time I change sides.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a southpaw so tend to favour a right lead. But I have trained for many years to be comfortable with either. On the spur of the moment, however, I will adopt a right lead stance.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I change my stance so I feel comfortable (relative to the situation) and don't have a concrete answer. I feel more natural in my south paw stance but my technique is more stable with my left hand forward. To be honest, I like a nice axe-kick for a lead followed by an appropriate combo (assuming I haven't been beat up by then). To me though, a lead is intentionally exposing a weakness to encourage them to exploit it. Like chess. With my right leg forward I like a quick "ginger fist" to the bridge of the nose, lead hook to the back of the jaw, or straight jab to the face. With the left leg I prefer a solid boxing stance and more defense. I like the jab-cross combo, my hooks and uppercuts. If someone throws a flurry during sparring I like to use a shoulder to push them out of my infighting range and try to hit them on the way out with a one solid shot rather than a combo. The problem with my right leg forward is that I only use my lead limbs, don't use a lot of combo's and try to stay out of range.

Latest Discussions