Which lead

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you have the time and the fight is enevitable what is your preferred lead.
Strong side forward or strong side back.
Our school teaches strong side forward and I'm glad it did as now it doesnt matter to me which lead I'm in but if I had the choice it would be forward.
Most people I know think your left handed and are watching for the big reverse punch and I'll take any advantage I can get.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I make it a point to train both, so for me, it all depends on the opponent. How they're holding themselves, what their strong side is, their preferred techniques, etc. I'd optimize my stance based on that information.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though I do train both and try to emphasize both to my students, I do most of the time go to strong side back. It is only that my "weak" side tends to be more articulate. Not to mention that you can get more use of the hips if your power side is back, thus giving you the ability to generate more power. IMHO.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Though we train to be "ambidextrous" I prefer strong side forward. Also if a particulars students right side is stronger, then we'll drill that students left side 4 times more to help acheive an equal balance. You never know what side or angle you'll get caught at, so I think it's good to try and work both sides to be strong.

Franco

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always liked strong side forward, but I'll switch based on the feel of the fight.

First I liked strong side forward because I was a kicker. Then, because it makes so much sense in stick and knife fighting. Plus, in JKD which I now also study it's the suggested approach.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to make it a point to train both sides, but normally it's my right side forward (strong side). I fight south paw, and I do a lot of front leg kicks. My right leg is faster and stronger (my jab is faster on the right side also), so I put it in front.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I'm right handed, I tend to keep the strong side (rt leg) back. I do drill both sides, so during a sparring session, I'll continue to mix it up.

Mike

B

BaktoBasics

raise you hands with palms facing forward in a neutral position. Apologise, swallow your pride and make it clear that you do not want to fight.

if they are subborn and want to fight. Step back, lower your centre of gravity while maintaining that neutral hand position (if you clench your fists this will invite the attack through provocation). If you fear for your safety, at they slightest move, I have always found raising the knee to cover your body and hands to cover your head is very effective. In doing so, prepare to punch and fast and as much as you can.

High kicks are for show in real situations. Best kicks are to the knee. Maybe try a half moon to the knee or forward punch to the chin.

In competitions however, I always see the lead with a snappy front kick to prompt the opponent dropping their guard. This is similar to the fencing concept of "feint".

P

Peter Steeves

In my sports days, as a Judoka, I found it VERY good to have found a wonderful school that forced me to train both sides strongly. I went into competitions with my left-side grips and throws, and had a HUGE advantage.

Real life, I would "prefer" to keep my strong side back, but now that I'm looking back over times I've actually used this stuff to end troubling physical situations, I've tended to get that strong side in as quickly as possible.

Really, it's like the movies - why the heck do they start with the weakest weapon, then if that doesn't work, go to the 2nd weakest, etc... well, the movie would be too quick if they just did what worked right away. :idunno:

so, if you're looking to end the situation quickly, it seems the most sensible approach is use the stronger side first (and if you dont' want it to end quickly, something is odd, really).

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am a left handed and prefer to fight with my left forward. I developed this habit way, way b4 I had any martial arts training and find it nearly impossible to break. Emptyhanded I have way more reflex, and control w/ left forward.
On the other hand when practicing the filipino arts since I have been primarily trained to have the right forward and have the stick/ blade in the right I prefer to have my right forward. ALthough with almost no thought I can do 75% of the things I train on the right with my left in filipino stuff but my accuracy will be a little off, and I hardly ever train the left specifically in FMAs.
I think if can ever get comfortable fighting with a right lead emptyhands I would be a tough person to fight, its just some kind of mental block I have to get over because with a stick in right hand lead I have no problems with footwork or coordination.