Switching leads in TKD

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Some martial arts styles emphasize training with one particular lead side. They tend to train their strong side in different techniques than their weak side. The prevailing philosophy behind this seems to be that it's better to train each side of your body to excel at different tasks, than to train both sides of your body to be equally mediocre.

How do you, as a TKD practitioner feel about this?
Do you prefer to train both sides of your body equally?
Do you prefer your strong side, or your weak side forward?
How often, and under what circumstances do you switch leads in sparring?
What do you teach your students (if any) about switching leads?
(It may also help to clarify if you're talking about a specific style of sparring.)

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:
(It may also help to clarify if you're talking about a specific style of sparring.)
I'm a left handed person living in a right handed world, so i'm used to training with from my weak side. I prefer to train both. I feel that sparring and self defense are both fluid and you don't have the option of always attacking from your strong side.

I have just started olymicp style sparring. I have been told to try to always stay in closed stance, so that is something i'm working on.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is definitely beneficial to train so you eliminate the weaknesses of your "weak" side...that being said...I've got a lot work to do in that regard...

A

Andy Cap

Originally I trained both sides equally. I certainly don't think I want to rely on one side. I have found that certain fighters just cannot adjust when I switch sides. With that said, later on I started working certain techniques with one side and others with the other side. That way it would be like fighting two different people.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I try to train both sides to be as equally as possible so that in any given stance or position I have a full range of options. I know that some techniques are naturally easier and/or more powerful from one side over the other, but I still like to be at least able to throw a given attack from either side, if the situation and position warrents.

Andy, don't stay in closed stance all the time. It limits what you can do and limits what kinda of threats your opponent needs to worry about so it makes it easier for them.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zepp said:

I have been taught to train both sides while doing general practice, however doing one preferred side for specific board breaking. After all everyone has their strong side and breaking is hard enough.

But after black, I noticed it became required to train both, so if my jump back was good on the right side, now I had to do the other side just as well. We are tested on all kicks on both sides for 1st dan. Sometimes these are on bags or sometimes demonstrated in the air. We also have to do it to the right level, like for 360 jump spin heel on our bad side as well as that is required for 2nd dan.

Actually it gives an advantage especially since most like to start out in left stance-left leg forward. When you switch leads, it throws the opponent off his game if he is not equally ambi..whatever. It also gives you more combinations to confuse the opponent so he/she doesn't know what's coming.

I don't think it matters what style, but we are WTF. TW

A

Andy Cap

FearlessFreep said:
Andy, don't stay in closed stance all the time. It limits what you can do and limits what kinda of threats your opponent needs to worry about so it makes it easier for them.
LOL - you had me wondering there. I was like how does he know what stance I use? Furthermore I don't alsways use a closed stance. HEHE. Then I noticed there was another Andy in this conversation. Doh!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Some martial arts styles emphasize training with one particular lead side. They tend to train their strong side in different techniques than their weak side. The prevailing philosophy behind this seems to be that it's better to train each side of your body to excel at different tasks, than to train both sides of your body to be equally mediocre.
Zepp said:
I agree with it now, but did not initially. It took years of me trying to make each side do the same thing. Eventually acknowledging that it was much more beneficial to listen to my body instead of barking at it. Each side offers different advantages. Due to being one-side dominent as most people, but also the varying injuries over the years, my right side offers better power while my left side offers better speed and range. I can kick from either side but say I'll throw a rear leg axe kick from my right, but throw a front leg axe from my left. I can throw the axe from either leg but at different times for different reasons.
Zepp said:
Definately, but when sparring or teaching, I tend to stay with what works best for me. When I'm practicing for myself against say, Sabumnim, I work on my worst aspects to try to improve them.
Zepp said:
I prefer weak side forward, but am comfortable enough either way. Since either side forward in my case offer different options, it depends on what I'm trying to do.
Zepp said:
I let my opponent determine that. Whatever looks more uncomfortable for him is where I will spend most of my time. As mentioned above about the box stance, if I see him get uncomfortable in an open stance, I'll keep us in that stance.
Zepp said:
I don't. They always figure out what works for them on their own eventually.

WTF Style

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
I ended up switching my lead stance, I haven't even really thought about it until you asked. My friend and I were sparring, he checked me and accidently did so on my toe. Thus, my toe became swollen, and I ended up losing my toenail.

So in the end, I had to use my right side for attacks. I'm left handed, so naturally I'm a bit stronger with my left leg, so the adjustment was a bit tricky. But I kinda thank my friend for giving me that injury, it really kinda helped in the long run.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We have always trained both sides from day one. Looking at it from a SD point of view, I might have injured one side while shingling the roof etc, so I'd better be able to operate on both sides.

That said, it does not mean they operate the same, there are inherent natural differences which facilitate moves on either side. Examining these differences can help to build up the 'weak' side by emulating the 'good' side, whether its because more repetitions have built better muscle memory there or its easier to stretch or whatever the reason. If that reason can be discerned and applied, it can improve your overall technique.

Switching leads in sparring, constantly, open to closed stance, L lead to R, to no switch or movement (lightly planted) just following opponent with guard.
Teach sudents to experience all facets of leads, then use what works for them.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I might have injured one side while shingling the roof etc, so I'd better be able to operate on both sides.

I have that problem right now, with a slight pull or tension soreness in my left hamstring which limits some right legged kicks and some left legged ones (I can do left legged side and back kicks easier than right legged right now, for example) so I have to adjust what I'm doing a bit and use my strikes a bit differently. Training to be at least 'competent' on both sides with all strikes makes it possible.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I work both sides, but not in the same way. I'm a right hander, so my right side is naturally stronger. I still work my left side, but my left side works differently to the right. I don't try to make my left side work like my right, I instead try to learn how to best use the things I can do with my left side.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hypotheticly, who would you rather fight, a ten year TKD veteran that trained one side only or a ten year TKD veteran that trained both sides equaly?
Sean
PS I want the guy who trained both sides. :)

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept, what I thought of as I read what you said was that I will probably some day be like that...but..I'm still too inexperienced and unskilled to really feel comfortable in knowing what I'm 'good' at. I mean, in the techniques and tactics I know, there are some I'm better at then others. I mean, there is a *lot* I don't know yet and even of what I know, some is better than others. A lot of what I do well or not so well is more a reflection of lack of experience/hours of practice, or lack of strength. So at this point in my training, I don't want to limit myself to focusing on certain techniques from certain sides as I don't really know what I will be good at or not as I get better. Eventually I will probably have a 'style' based on what works well for me and what doesn't, but I don't know enough, I'm not good enough, to say what that is yet, so I'm not going to focus on the techniques of that style...

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Hypotheticly, who would you rather fight, a ten year TKD veteran that trained one side only or a ten year TKD veteran that trained both sides equaly?
Sean
PS I want the guy who trained both sides. :)
Well, once you 'learn' the techniques, it doesn't take much to keep them honed. I mean, an hour or two practice to keep your skills tight. Take an extra hour to make the other 'side' just as tight.

Bearing that in mind, I'd want the guy who trained only one side. It means I have less to worry about, since his range of effective techniques is limited.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Questions/Answers:
1) For the most part
2) Weak, I am actually more accurate and a touch faster with my left
3 a) 3 to 4 times per match
3 b) to draw a reaction
4) See 3 a & b

In general WTF style taekwondo is about motion and your reaction to motion: counterattack, footwork, and blocking. So in general most WTF stylists train both sides to keep their options open.

My personal philosophy:

I personally try to train both sides for these reasons.
1) I like to take advantage of a weakness an opponent has when it presents itself.
2) You can rarely control the timing of injuries and normally it’s adapt, withdraw or give up. (Risk/reward evaluation)

Most of my training time concentrates on equal use, but I do work situational drills in a non-symetrical way. I also work a set of sparring drills which I use to open matches and rounds with the lead I feel most comfortable with.

As you train you always know which techniques you like to throw so you’ll have a tendency to practice them more. As you become wiser in your art you’ll develop your go to techniques which need to be integrated within your personal style.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For me, I believe in training both sides equally, but use them differently.

I will do strength drills equally on both sides and I will practice my techniques with both sides because I do not want to become one-dimensional. I should be able to throw a decent side kick from either leg.

However, since I want to continue to develop my body equally and my right side is already stronger while my left is faster, my right side will stay stronger and my left side will stay faster.

Because of this, what type of technique I use and what I use it for is influenced by which side is stronger or faster. Of course I can throw a "strong" or "fast" strike from either side and I can perform a technique from either side when I get an opening, but the fact is, for me, that one side is more effective at doing something that what the other is and I tend to keep certain techniques to one side unless I have a good reason not to.

I think I answered the first two questions.

I prefer to have my strong side in back and my fast side in front because it compliments them. (Attacks from a lead hand/foot get to their targets faster while attacks from the back are stroger because they come from across your body.) I don't have any problem switching depending on the situation.

I will frequently switch leads in a sparring match depending on the position of the judges. The ATA only uses 3 judges and they are only allowed to score points they actually see hit the other guy. I try to change my lead so that my back is to two of the judges; that way the chances of them actually seeing the other guy's foot/fist hit my hogu are lessened. If for some reason I don't want to switch leads because of a strategy, I will use movement to put myself in certain positions.

As for my students, I tell them to play around with it and see what works for them while sparring in class. I do mention that switching leads is important to try to keep your opponent off guard. If you spar a guy for 90 seconds who doesn't change his lead leg, you start basing your tactics around what foot he has in front, what openings that gives you, and what techniques he uses from that position. If he changes that lead foot, that changes up where the openings are and probably what techniques he will use. So if you are constantly changing your stance, it is harder for your opponent to pick up a dependable pattern on you.

Just my .02

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, last night I was thinking along similar lines, I think, to what you two are saying.

Having a strong leg side and training to use that strong side most I don't think means that you are going to attack only from that side.

An example is that my right leg is stronger than my left. However, that works out to that some kicks are better with my left leg because they require a stronger support. I'm better with left leg kicks because my right leg provides better pivot support and I get better stretch from my right hamstring.

I try to avoid getting in predictable patterns but even if I stayed with an approach of using my right side more than left, if I setup with left leg forward, I'm more likely to throw a rear leg (right leg) roundhouse but not as likely to throw a spinning technique. If I set up right leg forward, I'm more likely to throw a spinning technique, but also a hop-to roundhouse from the front side. Etc, etc...Add to that step in motions and such that change stance.

So...I don't neccessarily think I'd be more or less comfortable facing someone who olny trained for the strong side, because they could probably throw a variety of attacks and techniques even with that in mind. When I spar people for awhile, I do start noticing if they favor one side or another for certain techniques, but it takes awhile to figure that out.

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to train myself to spar on both sides. I'm still working on making my left kicks as strong as my right... *sigh*

But "someday" you may find yourself in a situation where you have to fight on your weak side, so you might as well prepare yourself.

-Flamebearer