Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Queen, Guns and Roses, ACDC, Jefferson Starship, Black Sabbith
mrhnau said:
queen, metallica, vengeance rising

I think we're showing our age guys!!

Godsmack. Zepellin. Metallica (pre-black album: before they became wusses!)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I think we're showing our age guys!!

Godsmack. Zepellin. Metallica (pre-black album: before they became wusses!)
Well, you may be showing your age but Metallica are now celebrating their 20th so they're definitely doing something right, and you're obviously not so far off the mark for being a fan, yeah? :) Actually, I'll take the black album over any of the rest, even MoP but then I've always been a sucker for great production ;)

I'm seeing Led Zepp and I'm thinking, are you guys AOR only, or do you care for the likes of the Foo Fighters, Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Muse and the whole gamut of rock? Me? I love it all, can't get enough!

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Well, you may be showing your age but Metallica are now celebrating their 20th so they're definitely doing something right, and you're obviously not so far off the mark for being a fan, yeah? :) Actually, I'll take the black album over any of the rest, even MoP but then I've always been a sucker for great production ;)

I'm seeing Led Zepp and I'm thinking, are you guys AOR only, or do you care for the likes of the Foo Fighters, Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Muse and the whole gamut of rock? Me? I love it all, can't get enough!

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Well...hello there, Jenna!

I just quickly listed some favorites. My taste does run much wider though. Linkin Park, Staind, Disturbed, Coheed & Cambria, Chili Peppers (as you mentioned). What I cannot stand is Country. I know this is America, the home of country music. But to me it is just red-neck noise. I also will find any excuse possible to not listen to rap, hip-hop, techno, trance, or any other musical genre that contains WAY to much bass to be consider good arrangement.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Actually, I'll take the black album over any of the rest, even MoP but then I've always been a sucker for great production...
I will agree that the production was excellent. It is the material that, to me at least, denotes The Black Album as the decline of Metallica into mediocrity. And it saddens me. :waah:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I will agree that the production was excellent. It is the material that, to me at least, denotes The Black Album as the decline of Metallica into mediocrity. And it saddens me. :waah:
Are you one of those "fans" that would prefer Metallica just kept re-releasing Kill 'Em All? The Black Album marked the beginning of the band experimenting with their style. Any band with longevity has done this. Look at a few early Rush albums compared to the last few.
Having said that, along with Metallica, my tastes run to bands like Godsmack, Corrosion of Conformity, Megadeth, Motorhead, G 'n R (before Axl turned primadonna), Mudvayne, Union Underground, Drowning Pool, Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio, SRV, Black Label Society, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Sevendust, and Anthrax, to name a few. And yes, I do like Kiss. I just think it's a shame that they've turned into such a joke. Gene Simmons would slap a Kiss logo on anything for the right price.
I'm not a big fan of country, although I have heard some good live country. Rap, R&B, Noise, Techno, Trance, and whatever you call trash like the White Stripes nauseate me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

I'd say the whole gamut of Rock. Foo Fighters and Nickelback are prolly my fave new bands...but I haven't been listening to them for 25 years, so I'd have to give the nod to Rush as my all-time fave. ;)

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Are you one of those "fans" that would prefer Metallica just kept re-releasing Kill 'Em All? The Black Album marked the beginning of the band experimenting with their style. Any band with longevity has done this.
I knew this would turn into an "evolution of the artist" thing. NO. I am not one of those "fans". Experimenting with a style is fine. When you don't realize the experiment has gone awry, that's another story. This is why I do not consider myself a current Metallica fan. Can you honestly say that St. Anger was a decent body of work? C'mon!

Alas, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and I appreciate you sharing your's Kreth! I must agree with you on the G'nR thing. Axl was a knob!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's a great spectrum of rock tastes here new and old - you're ticking all the right boxes on my scorecard - and good for us all!! Black album really hit the sweet spot for me though I've still got a whole lotta love for Zepp oh and it'd be remiss of me not to big up Bruce and Iron Maiden!!

Where are you on White Zombie / Rob Zombie??

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of all time?

Rush...hands down.

Of most of the time? Genesis (pre-And Then There Were Three), Queen, Kansas, Yes, Pogues, Wolfstone, Israel Houghton, DMB

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets not forget Edgar Winter, Ted Nugent, The Who, 10CC, Devo, Iron Butterfly just to name a few more here.
Terry

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rage Against the Machine. System of a Down. Metallica. Pantera.

Up and coming on my list: Hatebreed, Black Label Society, Lamb of God

There are a lot...

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Rage Against the Machine. System of a Down. Metallica. Pantera.

Up and coming on my list: Hatebreed, Black Label Society, Lamb of God

There are a lot...
Nice list. Makes me think, are Queens of the Stone Age on your radar? I like that stuff, sort of weird!!

btw - I love that enigmatic name / avatar combination! :)

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I knew this would turn into an "evolution of the artist" thing. NO. I am not one of those "fans". Experimenting with a style is fine. When you don't realize the experiment has gone awry, that's another story. This is why I do not consider myself a current Metallica fan. Can you honestly say that St. Anger was a decent body of work? C'mon!
Actually Frantic ranks up there as one of my favorite Metallica songs. I don't know what Lars was thinking with the snare sound for the album though, the songs on the included DVD sound much better. I don't like everything on the latest albums, but then I never cared for Fight Fire With Fire from Ride The Lightning or Metal Militia from Kill 'Em All, for example.

Jenna said:
There's a great spectrum of rock tastes here new and old - you're ticking all the right boxes on my scorecard - and good for us all!! Black album really hit the sweet spot for me though I've still got a whole lotta love for Zepp oh and it'd be remiss of me not to big up Bruce and Iron Maiden!!
I can't believe I forgot the Mighty Maiden. Up the Irons! I caught the first US date of Maiden's Brave New World tour with Halford, Queensryche, and Maiden. What a show, three of the best screamers in metal, in one night!

Where are you on White Zombie / Rob Zombie??
I like Zombie. A friend of mine saw him live and said he runs out of gas, though.

Latest Discussions